U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 02:31 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,458,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
By the way, click on golfgal's links. You are referring to Texas recommendations, not Texas laws. Texas laws say nothing of the sort.
Yeah , last i checked it must have been the "recommendations", but i swore it was the law. If i'm wrong, so be it, but it should be the law as it is in most states (1 year/20 lbs). But, Texas is usually behind on the times anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 02:32 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,296,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
That can't be right. 5 feet tall?! There are adults who are not 5 feet tall!
LMAO! Read it again! He's exaggerating to make a point.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:43 PM

5,691 posts, read 5,142,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
LMAO! Read it again! He's exaggerating to make a point.

LMAO! Thank God. My faith in regulators has been restored.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:12 PM

538 posts, read 1,260,285 times
Even though I agree with OP, what if I were to decide to send an email about what OP's kid eats?

Old 12-27-2011, 03:30 PM

24,483 posts, read 28,851,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
Even though I agree with OP, what if I were to decide to send an email about what OP's kid eats?
I don't think that is comparable.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:48 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,835,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
What the OP described, 10 months old, front facing in the front seat is wrong no matter where you are or how big the kid is.
This is the bottom line.

In my line of work I have seen many, many, many young children killed while sitting in rear and front-facing child seats when seated in the front.

There are usually excellent resources in the community who will help give appropriate recommendations for specific age and size; the local police department, pediatricians office, local hospital, etc.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:07 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,296,520 times
I agree about the front seat being a terrible idea if there is an airbag on the passenger side. I was focusing the rear facing vs forward facing part of the discussion.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:12 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,458,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
How on earth can you compare what my child eats to a car seat? Last i checked, the choices I make in food for my child does not have the potential of internally decapitating and killing them.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:30 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,146,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I will preface this by saying I am a huge carseat nut. My son will be rearfacing for a long time, and he's so short and skinny, that it will probably be until he's 2 or 3. We have one of the highest safety rated carseats that is out there, but I know not everyone can afford that kind of seat, so I dont judge people who buy the cheaper seats.

My sister in law (C) has a 10 month old son. She lives in Texas, where the car seat laws state they must be rear facing until 1 year old AND 20 lbs. The child is 20 lbs or over. She recently posted a picture on facebook where the child was very obviously not strapped in (his legs were hanging over the side of the carseat) and he was forward facing. My mother in law was going to talk to her about it, but my other sister in law (K) jumped in and commented how that was dangerous and long story short, a bit of drama ensued.

I talked to sister in law K today, and she said the other day, the child's father came to pick up the 10 month old from grandmas house and noticed that the car seat was IN THE FRONT SEAT and forward facing. Now, technically this CAN be legal *IF* you can disable the air bags AND if the child could legally forward face (which he cannot). They have an older model car, so there is no option to disable the air bags.

I feel so frustrated. I'm in Florida, so there's not much I can do, but it tears me up that my nephew could die because of their negligence. They are of that parental mindset that "I do right by my child so you should mind your own business" and that they can do no wrong. If you mention to them that they ARE wrong, they just ignore you because they are all mighty "DO NO WRONG" type of people.

So, should I just ignore this and move on and just keep hoping my nephew lives?? I have no idea how to approach this kind of issue.
I live in Texas and DS was turned to a forward facing at the proper age and weight. I understand you are concerned and if I was in your position and being that you are family, I would say something. It does not have to turn into drama and just use a bit of tact. You can do it in an email or via phone call. If email I would write something along the lines of:

Hi C!

I was thinking of you during the holidays and I hope everyone had a lovely time. The other day I was looking at facebook through the holiday pics as I miss you all and noticed that nephew was riding in the car unproperly restrained in his car seat. It was a bit of concern and I know what a great mom you are so you must have been parked.

I just wanted to pass some information to you regarding car seat safety in Texas because it has been brought to my attention that the laws have changed. (Insert links here). I would hate for you to get a ticket or something happen to you all. It would just break my heart.

I will give you a call soon when I have some time.

XX
rezfreak

Now if she throws a tantrum over that and starts up like a donkey then tell her flat out you as an aunt are showing your concern. Sometimes when you come in guns blazing you may not get the message across.

Good luck and all the best.

Mrs. X

Old 12-27-2011, 05:33 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,548,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
How on earth can you compare what my child eats to a car seat? Last i checked, the choices I make in food for my child does not have the potential of internally decapitating and killing them.
Actually, your child is at more risk from eating a poor diet and developing all kinds of health issues that can kill them then they are from dying in a car crash. If your child eats a diet that mostly consists of fast food, processed food, etc. the likelihood that he/she will be overweight is pretty high--then add in diabetes, heart disease, etc. and your child doesn't make it past 45.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting