U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 07:18 PM

5,569 posts, read 7,689,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
So, the point I dont get is why people are so upset because I'm concerned about my nephew's safety in the car. Do you not care when your family could be in danger? The child was not properly restrained anyway (forward seat facing aside). He was in a 5 point harness convertible car seat. Only the chest clip was fastened, the bottom part that goes through the legs and secures them to the center was NOT fastened and his body was half out of the car seat. Any hit to the car would have sent the baby flying. I'd privately link the picture here, but I'm not sure that would do any good.
Was the car even moving at the time? I snapped pictures of my son in his seat not buckled. You can't be 100% sure of the picture context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 07:19 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,460,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Was the car even moving at the time? I snapped pictures of my son in his seat not buckled. You can't be 100% sure of the picture context.
Well, when the picture shows trees as a blur outside of the window, its pretty safe to say the car is moving.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Please don't link the picture. We'd flip out on you. He isn't your child.

You have no right to share his picture with strangers on the internet, publicly or privately.
That's why I didnt link it. It wouldnt do good anyway, you people just want to harp on me for being concerned about my nephew.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:25 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,844,159 times
Quote:
How oh how did anyone live before car seats?
What a peculiar statement. If you'd like to take a look at the data from motor vehicle accidents prior to the invention of seat belts and child restraints, you will see the high numbers of injury and death.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
How oh how did anyone live before car seats?
They didnt, in an accident.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:30 PM

5,691 posts, read 5,145,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
So, the point I dont get is why people are so upset because I'm concerned about my nephew's safety in the car. Do you not care when your family could be in danger? The child was not properly restrained anyway (forward seat facing aside). He was in a 5 point harness convertible car seat. Only the chest clip was fastened, the bottom part that goes through the legs and secures them to the center was NOT fastened and his body was half out of the car seat. Any hit to the car would have sent the baby flying. I'd privately link the picture here, but I'm not sure that would do any good.
You are right to be concerned but there is very little you can do about it. I think that is the overall message here. They are the parents and they make the decisions. And some of those decisions are boneheaded.

It's probably similar to having a relative on drugs or dating an abusive boyfriend. You can try to talk to them but bottom line is they have to make the change themselves. I say do as much as your conscious is telling you to do.. Talk to them again, send them facts. But do so knowing they might get mad at you and in the end, you can't make them do anything. It absolutely sucks but short of reporting them to the police - which is a highly risky move likely to cause a rift in your family, not to mention I'm not sure the cops could do anything by write a ticket anyway - you have no good options. Life can be a beeyoch sometimes.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:56 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,335,158 times
Be careful. All of these women are your inlaws. Your the odd one out.

They might be ganging up on C right now, but they'll rally around her over you in a heartbeat one day.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Be careful. All of these women are your inlaws. Your the odd one out.

They might be ganging up on C right now, but they'll rally around her over you in a heartbeat one day.

I doubt that would happen. I get along with my mother and sister in law (K) like they were my own family. I think they treat me better than they do their own family members sometimes. They have enough family drama that makes me look like a saint in comparison to most of the family

Old 12-27-2011, 08:02 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,844,159 times
This topic really hits home for me. This is one area people seem willing to take risks, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. If people saw a relative giving children alcohol, would they say anything? If people saw a relative give a child a cigarette, would they say anything? Being improperly restrained in a car has far more catastrophic implications, and yet people would remain quiet. I find it quite strange.

When I worked in child health in another country, we were given post cards that could be filled out, and mailed to the local child safety department. If we saw a child unrestrained, or improperly restrained, we filled out the licence plate info, date, time, and the situation, and then the local authorities who had access to vital statistics would mail these along with educational info to the owner of the motor vehicle. It was quite a successful campaign.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:08 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,335,158 times
Zimbo, I think the thing is that the OP and her relatives have spoken up. There's nothing else they can do. Yet she just can't let it go. Nobody is saying she shouldn't say anything. We're saying she has done all she can. The front seat is extremely concerning facing any direction. In the backseat, I disagree with the carseat needing to face backwards if the child doesn't fit that way. Regardless, the BIL is the one who had the carseat in the front seat, yet the OP and the inlaws are all going after the SIL. The BIL is the one needing a lecture. I guess it's all about the OP's presentation with comments like "I only feed my child organic baby food."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting