U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 10:48 AM

2,763 posts, read 4,432,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Here's the real issue - the OP saw a photo on Facebook of the child sitting in a carseat, unrestrained. How does the OP know the photo wasn't taken just before buckling the child in?
The car was MOVING that's how. The trees were flying by in the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 11:06 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,953,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yes, they are the one selling the seats via Amazon, they say so right at the top of their page:

I'm sorry, but if people are giving information that supports the products they sell, the information becomes a bit suspect to me. I would be very happy to read peer reviewed data on the subject if anyone has links. I could not find any information to support their claims myself in a cursory search.
I didn't know that they had a "store", but if you look at it, they are just getting affiliate links, they aren't selling anything themselves. The "store" site says: "Car-Seat.Com is not a retailer, reseller or 3rd party vendor. All transactions and merchandise are handled by Amazon.com." The "store" looks like it provides links to every carseat and carseat accessory on Amazon. I clicked all the way through and put one in my cart. The seat was sold and shipped from Amazon.com. I think that the "store" just supports the forums.

The forums there are open to all, just like they are here. I have an account, you can too. The forums are frequented by carseat techs. Even if city-data sells a product, that doesn't mean that the advice we users give on the forums has anything to do with promoting that product. I understand why you wouldn't trust a source that is also trying to sell a product, but I do think they are trustworthy based on my experience with them. As I said, they caught more than one mistake I was making with my seats that was not caught at the fire station seat checks.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
My youngest is only 6, and the rules have changed even since then. I believe the weight limit on the infant "bucket" seats has gone up too. 6-8 years ago babies seemed only to stay in those seats for a few months. Now I see babies in them past a year. I think the limit used to be 20 lbs. I see some with a limit of 35 lbs now.
My oldest is 5.5 years old. When she was a baby there were no seats that allowed forward-facing before 1 year/20 pounds either. Even then, I was aware of the benefits of rear-facing and bought the highest weight RF seat that was available at that time, which was the Britax Marathon that RF up to 33 pounds. You can now get infant seats that go up to 35 pounds, and convertible seats that go up to 45 pounds RF. The laws haven't changed in my state in that time. Even then they required kids to be in a carseat or booster until 8 years/ 80 pounds, which is still the case. Other than that, they require proper use of your carseat. The only thing that has really changed in that time is the AAP recommendations, which went up to at least 2 years, but they weren't that big of a change in reality because the previous recommendation was at least 1 year but preferably to the limits of the convertible seat. So if you were already going by the limits of the seat, it's the same. The effect of the change in the AAP recommendation is really just increased public awareness of the NHTS recommendations. But the biggest change is the increased availability of higher weight seats on the market.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:53 AM

3,084 posts, read 6,464,939 times
I also live in Texas and have watched the state/nation change what is 'recommended' for children riding in cars, and it has changed so many times and from one way to another to another over the years. My own kids range from almost 30 to 9 (next week), so I've seen the changes up close and personal. In addition to that I provide child care, so I see change as soon as it occurs.

The thing is, Texas is actually smart about their laws because there ARE so many different ways to properly restrain children, as evidenced here with people merely stating what their seats can/cannot do in regards to weight/height. There is also a wide variety of ways to restrain a child available and a wide variety of needs.
The law here allows for parents to find what seat fits in their car the best, what fits their own child's size in both weight and height, do so in their price range and fit their own situation the best.
Otherwise, there would only be one type of vehicle and one type of car seat to be a one size fits all situation.

Plus, a different side to this subject....the human factor into the installation and use of car seats is a huge factor that often gets overlooked.

I have a friend who is a supposed fiend when it comes to car seat safety. However I discovered her 'top of the line' car seat did not really fit the vehicle she was driving when I buckled him into it for her once. That issue right there negates the 'top of the line' safety claim and put her son in danger every time she drove him in that car. Add to that she didn't have the 5 point harness snug at all, so there dissolves another layer of safety. When I asked if the seat usually was used in another vehicle she asked why, so I showed her how it didn't fit well. She had no idea that it wasn't right.

Then I pointed out he 'must have been able to play with the belts' because they were so loose he could slide right out in an impact. She thought his need to be able to move around was more the priority and it was worth the possible risk since she was a very safe driver.

Her choice. Unless he is riding in MY vehicle, I have no say in what she chooses to do with her son in her vehicle. I gently brought to her attention 2 things that surprised me since her position on car seats was so firm and saw that it was far more talk than substance. Her choice, not my business.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:19 PM

For those looking for primary sources:

Car safety seats for children: rear facing for best protection

Safety for the growing child: experiences from Swedish accident data

Advise use of rear facing child car seats for children under 4 years old

Cervical Spine Fractures Sustained by Young Children in Forward-Facing Car Seats

Old 12-31-2011, 12:23 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
The laws by state are here:
State Child Passenger Safety Laws

Also as to the rear-facing issue
Babies: When should your baby be in a forward-facing car seat? - iVillage

Quote:
Car seats for infants are placed facing the rear because in a head-on collision the muscles of the neck of an infant are unable to adequately support the head as it violently lurches forward. If the infant were facing forward during a head-on collision, significant head and neck injury could occur even though the baby remained adequately seated in the car seat. These muscles become strong enough at about two years of age. Therefore, to turn the car seat around, the child ought to have had her second birthday. But what about the 20 pound rule? This rule is set because most children at 20 pounds are tall enough to fit into a forward facing car seat. Notice I said most children. There are some shorter children who reach 20 pounds before the restraining system of the forward facing seat correctly fits. When this occurs, an infant car seat that allows for higher weights, but can also be used rear-facing, should be purchased. I always suggest putting your child into the seat in the store before purchasing one. "Trying on" the car seat is a good idea before spending a lot of money on one.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:20 PM

15,824 posts, read 18,440,406 times
FYI:
Parents Struggle With Car Seats - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

Old 04-16-2012, 10:43 AM

24,717 posts, read 59,579,994 times
As new parents, we were very very careful about always buckling our babies into car seats. THe prbalem was that in our non-sleeping state of zombie like living, we occaisioanlly forgot to buckle the car seat, or even to put it in the car.

Then of course at a certain age, they learn to unbuckle the car seat.

Some of the car seat laws are silly. I am pretty sure that our 20 year old daughters are still required to use a car seat under the law. They are very small. Whereas a freinds son is supposed to use a car seat based on his age, but he is so huge that they do nto make a car seat big enough for him (not fat, just a huge kid).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting