U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 04:27 AM

14,212 posts, read 9,614,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I've never had a problem with relatives sending checks. I just cash the checks for them through my own account. I go to my bank anyway. Sounds like your credit union is simply trying to get you to open more accounts. I think it's useful for young teens to have a savings account. That's about the age we opened them, not because of checks being a hassle, but because it's good to teach banking skills early.

I HATE gift cards. Big PITA. I just ranted about them recently. Most relatives give these aweful things to my children. A kid gets $300 worth of gift cards for 20 different stores. Not my idea of making my life easier. Do I really want to go shopping at 20 different stores? And chances are the item the child wants costs more than the $15, $25, or $50 gift card. So their gifts are actually costing me money in addition to hassle. Just think what the child could do with that money if it were possible to put all $300 towards one gift.

We just got a ton of gift cards again this year. I emptied out our china closet drawer, where we keep our gift cards from previous years. There are huge piles of them on my dining room table worth over a two thousand dollars. Some of them are from 2007, maybe older. I just called Macys and had the balance put back on a card that expired in 2009. (Hope you guys know there's a federal law now that gift cards can't expire. If you have any expired gift cards you call the company and they have to put the money back on the card.) This year, we're going to do our best to spend these darn gift cards. Nevermind that I could better pay bills with these.

Okay, my rant is over. Send me a check anyday instead of a gift card! LOL

Tell the relatives to just send you the cash and get the kiddies a visa gift card, that way they can shop wherever you take them

Old 12-29-2011, 05:29 AM

2,352 posts, read 3,916,078 times
Have you contacted the main office of the credit union? I've never heard of a bank that wouldn't accept a parent signing a check on behalf of a minor child. I think that's why folks here don't get as peeved, because it's easy for most to get the cash. The branch may be mistaken about the policy. A teller can't usually change or override policy; talking to someone higher up may get results.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:38 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,376,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I also stated that I am not that pleased with our current credit union and don't want to start another account with them. I don't see the point in opening an account that I may close in a few months just so someone doesn't have to write a different name on a check. Also, this is my child and the decisions I make for him are valid whether you think its an acceptable reason.
And thats smart because most banks charge a fee (usually $25) when you close an account within the first 6-12 months depending on the bank. So if your planning on switching soon it would be best not to open any more accounts.

Big banks do charge more fees than CU's but if you do the reserch you get more value out of the big banks.

For example, At chase () you get free online bill pay, free account alerts, we have the quick deposit where you can take a picture of a check on your phone and it deposits into your account ALL of the accounts have a way to avoid the service fee and thats to have a direct deposit coming into the account. Minor accounts have no fees and we back you up 100% on any type of fraud. We also have more ATM's and branch's than credit unions. lol I sound like im at work. Sorry to rant, I just bleed blue

Old 12-29-2011, 10:29 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,186,103 times
There was 1-2 particular relatives that always wrote us checks as kids. We had had our own savings accounts though, so it wasn't a problem. And we were underage, no photo ID. I see no problem with opening a savings account for your child.

Like a previous poster said, to me it was a big deal, a great feeling, getting a check written out to me.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:04 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,363,417 times
Our kids had savings accounts from a very young age, 2-3 years old. Since they were minors, my name was, and still is on those accounts so we could just deposit money right to their accounts. It isn't an issue really. Just open an account for your son and put his piggy bank money in there when it is full. He will thank you when he is older and sees the interest he earned too.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:27 PM

21,492 posts, read 26,089,700 times
How to endorse a check for a minor child - by Bob Schmidt - Helium

Can your child sign or print his name?

Perhaps you are going to the wrong bank to cash the check. Don't go to your credit union. Instead, go to a branch of the bank on which the check is drawn, if possible.

It's difficult to believe that your credit union does not have a mechanism in place to deal with cashing a check for a minor child of an account holder. That makes no sense.

I do agree that children should learn about banking at an early age. My older son still has the checking account we opened for him when he was small. He got an ATM card and learned how to use it, as did his brother. Both of them also were given credit cards when they were in high school and taught how to use them responsibly.

One option would be for your in-laws to open an account for your child at their bank, make deposits to it, and send you the ATM/debit card. Choose the right ATM to make withdrawals and you can avoid transaction fees, even if their bank does not have a branch in your city. Then you can get cash to buy something your child wants.

If the check is intended for a long term saving goal, perhaps the in-laws might want to consider other investments. Interest rates are so low, a brokerage account might be a good choice.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:13 PM

1,875 posts, read 3,575,148 times
Quote:
Not sure if this is the right forum. As parent this drives me bonkers so I am putting it here. Not sure if anyone else deals with this but it is becoming a real hassle for me. My in-laws write checks to my son for gifts. The problem is he is a minor. When we lived by the in-laws I banked at a local credit union that I had joined at 18, they knew me well and the credit union just cashed the checks. Now that we live out of state, our credit union here gets prickly about it. They say its a 3rd party check. They would like me to start an account for my son so cashing the checks is easier. I don't really want to deal with the hassle and since he doesn't have picture ID, I don't see the point anyway. He has no job and what he gets in allowance each week is not worth the trip to the bank. He is a saver and would rather watch his piggy bank in his room add up. I am fine with this. When he gets a job then we will start an account.

I have never wrote a check to a minor. I don't see the point. If I were to give money as a gift and couldnt give cash then I would just write the check to the parent and maybe in the memo portion write Happy Birthday to "so and so". The first time they gave my son a check is when he was 3 yrs old. My SIL didnt have time to get cash out of the bank. Even the clerk at my credit union just rolled her eyes. Nothing like trying to cash a check for a toddler. My husband has asked his mother and sisters to either send gift cards or make the check out to us. They act like we are going to steal our son's money. So they give gift cards and then start the whole check crap the following year. My mother sends my son money for birthdays etc but she always writes the check out to us. I have never had to ask her to do otherwise. She said it never occurred to her to write the check to my son because well...he is a minor! So of course this Christmas my son got 4 checks in the mail, all made out to him. I just got back from the bank and dealt with the hassle. I was told that this is basically the last time they will cash the checks unless I open an account.

So, does anyone else have relatives with a love for writing checks for your kids?
Tell him next check he gets in his name will be returned to them, because you it's getting to be a pain the butt to cash the checks.

End of discussion. You have a right to make the rules. Start an account at someone else's convenience? Whatever.
"They'll send a gift card only to start up the checks again the following year."
You said there yourself. They're just being a stubborn thorn in your side at this point.
Whether you choose to open an account or not is your preogative and really not the point.

Also say to them that they can either honor your wishes or be put on the phone to explain to your son why he hasn't been receiving any money from them. (But be sure to explain to son your dilemma, so they'll just make themselves look like asses if they try to say "Well mom won't give you our money.")

Last edited by MSPLove; 12-29-2011 at 06:23 PM..

Old 12-30-2011, 09:47 PM

970 posts, read 1,744,196 times
I got checks all the time as a child. It was easy for my parents to get them cashed. If something like cashing a check for your child is that much of a pain then it is a problem with the bank or credit union.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:46 PM

2,727 posts, read 5,186,103 times
I honestly have to say that I canNOT ever remember having a problem (or my parents) cashing a check when I was a minor.

Again, maybe it was because I had my own savings account.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:26 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,094,316 times
Quote:
Not sure if this is the right forum. As parent this drives me bonkers so I am putting it here. Not sure if anyone else deals with this but it is becoming a real hassle for me. My in-laws write checks to my son for gifts. The problem is he is a minor. When we lived by the in-laws I banked at a local credit union that I had joined at 18, they knew me well and the credit union just cashed the checks. Now that we live out of state, our credit union here gets prickly about it. They say its a 3rd party check. They would like me to start an account for my son so cashing the checks is easier. I don't really want to deal with the hassle and since he doesn't have picture ID, I don't see the point anyway. He has no job and what he gets in allowance each week is not worth the trip to the bank. He is a saver and would rather watch his piggy bank in his room add up. I am fine with this. When he gets a job then we will start an account.

I have never wrote a check to a minor. I don't see the point. If I were to give money as a gift and couldnt give cash then I would just write the check to the parent and maybe in the memo portion write Happy Birthday to "so and so". The first time they gave my son a check is when he was 3 yrs old. My SIL didnt have time to get cash out of the bank. Even the clerk at my credit union just rolled her eyes. Nothing like trying to cash a check for a toddler. My husband has asked his mother and sisters to either send gift cards or make the check out to us. They act like we are going to steal our son's money. So they give gift cards and then start the whole check crap the following year. My mother sends my son money for birthdays etc but she always writes the check out to us. I have never had to ask her to do otherwise. She said it never occurred to her to write the check to my son because well...he is a minor! So of course this Christmas my son got 4 checks in the mail, all made out to him. I just got back from the bank and dealt with the hassle. I was told that this is basically the last time they will cash the checks unless I open an account.

So, does anyone else have relatives with a love for writing checks for your kids?
This is quite funny because I just had to deal with this same situation yesterday at the bank. In the other states I have lived in I have never had a problem cashing checks for my daughter, but here in Arizona they wanted me to open an account for her. I told them it was crazy for me to open an account to cash checks twice a year. They did end up cashing them for me, "this one time" as a "courtesy" but said I would have to open an account the next time.

I called my Mom and asked her to send the check either to just me or put my name or daughters name. I think it's crazy to ask a parent to open an account to cash checks for minors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting