U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 05:21 PM

5,954 posts, read 6,389,608 times

Advertisements

So in light of recent events(I'll make a long story short.)
A mother of three was shot and killed yesterday at a McDonalds in my town by her ex-husband, she was hit three times in the chest while her kids were inside, she was pretty much DOA and pronounced on the way to the ER. The ex-husband was found about 3 hours later almost in the town below me in some open space by his truck, he shot himself in the head.

Its RIGHT after Christmas, not even new years, these kids just lost both their parents and I'm sitting here wishing my town was the kind of town that got together to do something for the family.

When tragic events happen do you get your kids to help out in some sort of way?
And what would be good things to do in this kind of situation that could get families and their kids to want to help this family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:09 PM

15,307 posts, read 16,867,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
So in light of recent events(I'll make a long story short.)
A mother of three was shot and killed yesterday at a McDonalds in my town by her ex-husband, she was hit three times in the chest while her kids were inside, she was pretty much DOA and pronounced on the way to the ER. The ex-husband was found about 3 hours later almost in the town below me in some open space by his truck, he shot himself in the head.

Its RIGHT after Christmas, not even new years, these kids just lost both their parents and I'm sitting here wishing my town was the kind of town that got together to do something for the family.

When tragic events happen do you get your kids to help out in some sort of way?
And what would be good things to do in this kind of situation that could get families and their kids to want to help this family?
In general, I think that people should try to help, but it is difficult if you do not know the family.

Some years ago, we had a very similar situation in my town. There were 4 children left without a mom and dad. The oldest was about to start college and the youngest was around 10. The neighbors banded together and took the kids in (the grandparents would not help, long story, but it was because the kids were biracial). One family took in the two girls and another took in the two boys. Since it was in their own neighborhood, they were not separated except that they lived in different homes. The kids are grown up now and from what I have heard they are all doing well.

One thing we did was brought food to the families that took the kids in so that there was a bit of time where they did not have to hassle with cooking for a much larger family. Someone organized a food tree and people signed up to bring casseroles or other main dishes.

We did a similar project for a little girl here more recently. She had the swine flu and ended up in the hospital with pneumonia and had a heart attack (she was only 8). We live across the street from the family and my grandchildren know the children, so we signed up on the hospital website to bring food, walk the dogs, do the laundry, etc. That worked really well for the mom, dad and sister. The little one is now well, happy and back in school, but still has some paralysis on one side of her body. We see them out riding bikes and my granddaughter is still friends with the kids.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
In general, I think that people should try to help, but it is difficult if you do not know the family.

Some years ago, we had a very similar situation in my town. There were 4 children left without a mom and dad. The oldest was about to start college and the youngest was around 10. The neighbors banded together and took the kids in (the grandparents would not help, long story, but it was because the kids were biracial). One family took in the two girls and another took in the two boys. Since it was in their own neighborhood, they were not separated except that they lived in different homes. The kids are grown up now and from what I have heard they are all doing well.

One thing we did was brought food to the families that took the kids in so that there was a bit of time where they did not have to hassle with cooking for a much larger family. Someone organized a food tree and people signed up to bring casseroles or other main dishes.

We did a similar project for a little girl here more recently. She had the swine flu and ended up in the hospital with pneumonia and had a heart attack (she was only 8). We live across the street from the family and my grandchildren know the children, so we signed up on the hospital website to bring food, walk the dogs, do the laundry, etc. That worked really well for the mom, dad and sister. The little one is now well, happy and back in school, but still has some paralysis on one side of her body. We see them out riding bikes and my granddaughter is still friends with the kids.
Yeah but you see on the news how these whole towns get together when those school shootings happen, or when a car full of teens die and the news post the pictures of everyone together with candles and stuff or you hear about how the whole town pitched in and gave the kids and the relatives they went to lots of stuff.

I kinda wanna make it happen.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:32 PM

24,476 posts, read 28,773,973 times
I more often see an outpouring from the community when it is some kind of random act, like at a school, or with a random innocent victim. It isn't any less tragic that 2 parents are dead, and 3 kids are orphans, but it wasn't a random act of violence. It is hard to know what to do. We don't know if they need money or a place to stay. Even if they end up needing a guardian, you can't volunteer for that. I appreciate you wanting to help, but I'm not sure what can be done.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I more often see an outpouring from the community when it is some kind of random act, like at a school, or with a random innocent victim. It isn't any less tragic that 2 parents are dead, and 3 kids are orphans, but it wasn't a random act of violence. It is hard to know what to do. We don't know if they need money or a place to stay. Even if they end up needing a guardian, you can't volunteer for that. I appreciate you wanting to help, but I'm not sure what can be done.
I think money, food I mean who ever takes them in has more mouths to feed, clothes for the kids, something, anything.

It would be nice to contribute in some way.
There are funeral cost, probably tons of other expenses like if their houses aren't paid off, vehicles, something.

I think I am going to start something on facebook, see if I can get people to drop stuff off at our local police department to give to the family.

Three kids just lost both their parents in a matter of hours, someone should be there for them and it should be more than their family.
When things like this happen to young kids theirs views of people sometimes turn negative, we should show them that not all people are bad and there is a WHOLE town of people who care.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:42 PM

maybe one of the TV stations would know how to find out what they need.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:48 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
The reason random acts of violence inspire the community is because they get the feeling it could happen to them. With domestic violence, the community doesn't feel at risk because they believe they have lived their lives better, that it will never happen to them.

Yes, these children need care just as much as children whose parents were lost to random acts of violence, but you won't be able to motivate the community in the same manner.

The best you can do is give what you can yourself. I'm sure a fund was set up for the children somewhere. Give whatever cash donation you can afford. That's all you can do.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
maybe one of the TV stations would know how to find out what they need.
I was thinking Slacker and Steve, I know they target the older female demographic and that would be a good place to start and get something together.
They do 36 hours for kids and all sorts of stuff as it is and I think they would be really good at doing something for this family.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:50 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
Just saw your post. You better call your police department and ask their permission before you post on facebook for people to drop off stuff.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I was thinking Slacker and Steve, I know they target the older female demographic and that would be a good place to start and get something together.
They do 36 hours for kids and all sorts of stuff as it is and I think they would be really good at doing something for this family.
You need to go through someone who can contact them and ask if they want help and specifically what kind, not a random radio show. I meant a news station who has been in contact with the family (if one even has??) and can be the go-between. You may mean well, but you can't start a collection and ask questions later. You need to find out if it is even needed or wanted first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting