U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 10:07 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,140,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
An apology for being rude? May be warranted, although I don't see the need for a public apology for that. If I got a public apology from a store or restaurant every time an employee was rude, I'd always be on the news.

Or an apology for being offered a cleaner, more comfortable spot to nurse her baby instead of sitting on the dirty floor in people's way? Even if she claims she was "by the jeans" that are possibly against the wall, suppose there are customers who want to look at jeans and she's sitting there in the way? I am pretty sure any grown person sitting on the floor could be asked to move no matter what they were doing.

There have been breastfeeding moms who were nursing their child in an appropriate place, not bothering anybody, and have been told to leave, they can't do that in here, go in the bathroom, etc. THOSE are the cases that warrant outrage and advocacy. Target employees told this woman to get off the filthy floor, offered her a more comfortable spot. I don't see the problem. Them being rude about it does not call for a march and protest imo.
She was not asking for a public apology, just an apology. This happened in late November. She called Target Corporate to explain what happened at the store and asked that the employees be educated as to breastfeeding laws. She was told that Target's breastfeeding rules differed from the law and received rude comments about public breastfeeding from the Target rep on the phone. She spoke to this woman's supervisor and got nowhere.

This situation could have ended right there if the woman answering the phone simply said, "We are sorry for your negative experience. We will look into this and ensure that our employees are aware of the law". But that's not what happened and that is why we saw a protest a month after the fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 10:08 AM

On the CNN interview the woman said that she did not see a single other customer where she nursed. The only people around were the employees.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:19 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,967,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
On the CNN interview the woman said that she did not see a single other customer where she nursed. The only people around were the employees.
Which is kind of why I have a problem with this whole thing. It's all one sided. SHE said that no other customers were around so she wasn't in anybody's way? How does she know that? Does she know that not one customer went to customer service and complained, or stopped an employee in the store and told them there's a woman plopped on the floor with her baby and I don't feel like stepping over them to look at jeans?

SHE claims eight employees surrounded her in a threatening manner. Nobody in the store saw this either? Me being the nosy person I am, if I saw a confrontation like that, I sure would stroll pass to see what was going on. I think a lot of people would. So in a store like Target, there were no witnesses to this? Nobody to back her up?

Also, SHE said that the Target representative on the phone was rude, which may be so, but I don't know. The only public statement I've seen from Target is the one where they said breastfeeding is allowed at all their stores and that nursing moms ARE offered the use of changing rooms, which these employees did. So the whole protest is all because the lady's feelings were hurt because no one was nice enough to her. Too bad. I think she is hurting breastfeeding advocacy with this nonsense rather than helping it.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:22 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,973,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It is too bad that the woman chose to take a controversial case to make a statement over. It puts a negative cast on what ought to be a pretty straightforward issue.
If they told her to leave the store or use the bathroom, or leave a dressing room to make room for a customer, you can bet I'd be there protesting too.

Last edited by JustJulia; 12-30-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 12-30-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Which is kind of why I have a problem with this whole thing. It's all one sided. SHE said that no other customers were around so she wasn't in anybody's way? How does she know that? Does she know that not one customer went to customer service and complained, or stopped an employee in the store and told them there's a woman plopped on the floor with her baby and I don't feel like stepping over them to look at jeans?

SHE claims eight employees surrounded her in a threatening manner. Nobody in the store saw this either? Me being the nosy person I am, if I saw a confrontation like that, I sure would stroll pass to see what was going on. I think a lot of people would. So in a store like Target, there were no witnesses to this? Nobody to back her up?

Also, SHE said that the Target representative on the phone was rude, which may be so, but I don't know. The only public statement I've seen from Target is the one where they said breastfeeding is allowed at all their stores and that nursing moms ARE offered the use of changing rooms, which these employees did. So the whole protest is all because the lady's feelings were hurt because no one was nice enough to her. Too bad. I think she is hurting breastfeeding advocacy with this nonsense rather than helping it.
Target has had a month to investigate and make a statement. They have not refuted this woman's claims. The protest took place because Target was not acknowledging the law.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:30 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,376,861 times
Quote:
That doesnt change the fact that it's a safety issue. What if while sitting against the jeans the whole rack of jeans fell on her and her baby? You can bet she'd be the first one sueing over this. Smh. She needs to cry a river build a bridge and get the heck over it because at the end of the day, her sitting on the floor in a dpeartment store was wrong.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
That doesnt change the fact that it's a safety issue. What if while sitting against the jeans the whole rack of jeans fell on her and her baby? You can bet she'd be the first one sueing over this. Smh. She needs to cry a river build a bridge and get the heck over it because at the end of the day, her sitting on the floor in a dpeartment store was wrong.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:38 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,376,861 times
Quote:

Old 12-30-2011, 10:38 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,967,152 times
Quote:
Target has had a month to investigate and make a statement. They have not refuted this woman's claims. The protest took place because Target was not acknowledging the law.
Didn't they make a statement stating their policy about breastfeeding, that it was allowed in their stores and that changing rooms are offered, and that nursing moms take priority over customers trying on clothes? They did follow the law, because this woman was not told she could not breastfeed her child in their store. She was not told she had to leave. She was simply told to move to a different spot, from the FLOOR near clothing where customers may have wanted to shop. If she was told to leave the food court and go somewhere else, that would be wrong. I would also have a big problem with Target if the woman WAS in a changing room, and they came and told her to go sit on the floor and do that. They offered her a better alternative, and that wasn't good enough. That's probably why Target hasn't had much to say about it. The whole thing is ridiculous.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:48 AM

14,212 posts, read 9,614,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
United States Code: Title 42,12181. Definitions | LII / Legal Information Institute

The following private entities are considered public accommodations for purposes of this subchapter, if the operations of such entities affect commerceó
(E) a bakery, grocery store, clothing store, hardware store, shopping center, or other sales or rental establishment; ;

(List goes from "A" through "L")

There is a distinction between private, as your own home, and the above.

Where would this be inside a Target store? I was thinking it might have been better for the mom to go to say, the furniture dept and sit down on a chair, but she'd still be in the store and the employees could still have reprimanded her.

Often then have benches around the front,they have chairs in the pharmacy,changing rooms,bathrooms,she could also have stood up and did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or