U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 11:51 AM

14,212 posts, read 9,656,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I saw the CNN interview and she wasn't in the studio for it. It was a phone interview. I highly doubt she did all of this for publicity. She has asked Target for an apology, not for money.

So she says.....who knows what are motives might actually be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 11:52 AM

2,352 posts, read 3,929,742 times
I think the issue is that they didn't offer, they demanded. I'm sure she felt ganged up on! If she sat down for just a moment to pacify the baby, planning to be there only a very short while, I can understand why she'd say "Just a moment". Right then, the employee should have left her alone. Stores can offer alternate places for a mom to nurse her baby, but they can't force a mom to use them.

I can't judge about where she was sitting, because I haven't seen a picture or anything. She comes across as fairly intelligent, so I really don't think she'd sit down in the middle of an aisle.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:57 AM

14,212 posts, read 9,656,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I think the issue is that they didn't offer, they demanded. I'm sure she felt ganged up on! If she sat down for just a moment to pacify the baby, planning to be there only a very short while, I can understand why she'd say "Just a moment". Right then, the employee should have left her alone. Stores can offer alternate places for a mom to nurse her baby, but they can't force a mom to use them.

I can't judge about where she was sitting, because I haven't seen a picture or anything. She comes across as fairly intelligent, so I really don't think she'd sit down in the middle of an aisle.

Perhaps, but we also are only getting one side of the story so who knows. I have encountered a few militant breast feeding moms in groups i have been a part of. And a lot of these women would make a scene no matter if the person demanded or just suggested.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:09 PM

85,070 posts, read 99,122,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
There was a story on CNN? Good grief. I may have to start regarding the stupid things people do from time to time as lucrative, fame-creating moments as well.

I don't think it's an issue that people were around. I think it's an issue that she refused to get off the floor and move somewhere more safe and appropriate.
It was a slow news day. I heard a story on NPR today that 56% of people are off work this week. BTW, the CNN web article about this isn't real helpful. There's no transcript of her phone call.
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-12-28/u...nurse?_s=PM:US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Often then have benches around the front,they have chairs in the pharmacy,changing rooms,bathrooms,she could also have stood up and did it.
So nursing in the front of the store by the entrance would be more discreet? Anyone who suggests nursing in a bathroom should be forced to go eat their lunch in one.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:24 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,094,896 times
Yeah, there is no freaking way I'd breastfeed in a public bathroom. I don't even like to put my purse down in one.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:32 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,970,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
This situation could have ended right there if the woman answering the phone simply said, "We are sorry for your negative experience. We will look into this and ensure that our employees are aware of the law". But that's not what happened and that is why we saw a protest a month after the fact.
^THIS!

People are not understanding. This issue isn't about the particular situation that this mother experienced in an individual store. It is about the response from corportate, in which they said "We are aware of the law, but our policy differs from the law". THAT is what was being protested.

I had an experience where I was told not to nurse in a Sharper Image store when my baby was 5 weeks old. When I got home, I called corporate and complained. Corporate told me that they were aware of the law and were sorry their employee was not and would make sure that he became aware of the law. (They also said they would follow up with me after doing so, which they didn't, but...) THAT is the response that you expect from corporate. NOT "We are aware of the law but we choose not to follow it".

The law in my state reads as it does in most states: "Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a woman may breast feed in any public or private location where she is otherwise authorized to be, irrespective of whether the nipple of the mother's breast is uncovered during or incidental to the breast feeding." The federal law is irrelevant here, but the state law is applicable.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:52 PM

Is a customer "authorized" to be doing anything anywhere in a store, though? Is she authorized to sit on a bagging station while people are trying to get through with carts? Can she wander behind the Starbucks counter or anywhere not marked "Employees Only"? Is it okay for her to sit on the floor wherever she pleases? Perhaps there are rules of the store.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:55 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,435,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
^THIS!

People are not understanding. This issue isn't about the particular situation that this mother experienced in an individual store. It is about the response from corportate, in which they said "We are aware of the law, but our policy differs from the law". THAT is what was being protested.
Has Target said that was their response to her? Because if Target is acknowledging that their store policy supercedes the law of the state she's got a legitimate civil rights complaint. And at that point I get out my picket sign because I don't care if it's breastfeeding or burping Target can't override the law.

But all I can find is what SHE is claiming they told her. If you have any links that say Target corporate is saying they supercede state law I'd be interested in seeing them.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:58 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,267,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Is a customer "authorized" to be doing anything anywhere in a store, though? Is she authorized to sit on a bagging station while people are trying to get through with carts? Can she wander behind the Starbucks counter or anywhere not marked "Employees Only"? Is it okay for her to sit on the floor wherever she pleases? Perhaps there are rules of the store.
May be a matter of semantics, as the law often is. AnyWHERE they are authorized to be is a statement of place. Sitting is a statement of position. There is no doubt she is authorized to occupy the space in the aisles of the store.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:01 PM

Dew, this was apparently Target's response:

"Target has been in touch with the store to ensure all team members are aware of our breastfeeding policy. Target is proud to support all mothers who breastfeed year-round, including today [day of the nurse-in]." "In regards to the concerns brought to our attention, we worked with this guest directly to address her concerns and are sorry for any inconvenience it has caused."

Breastfeeding moms stage a 'nurse-in' at Target stores (Includes interview)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or