U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2011, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,437 posts, read 41,809,051 times
Reputation: 47043

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
And to protect breastfeeding mothers from morons who compare it to stripping.
AMEN Sista.................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 35,087,307 times
Reputation: 42377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
And to protect breastfeeding mothers from morons who compare it to stripping.
So you do believe that all those babies were hungry at the same time? Moms here always insist breastfeeding is so discreet ("I didn't show an inch of skin! Nobody even knew!"). Right? So you either have a bunch of moms who appear to be doing nothing but holding their babies, which doesn't really "raise awareness," or a bunch of moms being provocative and confrontational, which doesn't really help with public sympathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Texas
42,331 posts, read 49,984,789 times
Reputation: 67243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
So you do believe that all those babies were hungry at the same time? Moms here always insist breastfeeding is so discreet ("I didn't show an inch of skin! Nobody even knew!"). Right? So you either have a bunch of moms who appear to be doing nothing but holding their babies, which doesn't really "raise awareness," or a bunch of moms being provocative and confrontational, which doesn't really help with public sympathy.
We're breastfeeding our son but I find these militant boobie people to be offensive and counterproductive to the cause.

Raise corporate awareness? Target already said that they felt it was ok for women to breastfeed in their stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,437 posts, read 41,809,051 times
Reputation: 47043
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
.

Raise corporate awareness? Target already said that they felt it was ok for women to breastfeed in their stores.
yes but obviously some stores and employees are not getting the message. This shows CORPORATE has a problem with training. Unfortunately some people have to be in-you-face to get change----for example, women's movement, civil rights movement to name a few. Without some marches, sit-in etc nothing would ever change and thank goodness there will be people willing to stand up and take the hits for a cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 09:28 AM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,155,577 times
Reputation: 3579
In addition to getting the message across to the Target corporation, these mothers have received a lot of media attention which is in turn bringing awareness to the public at large about breastfeeding in public being protected under the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Texas
42,331 posts, read 49,984,789 times
Reputation: 67243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
In addition to getting the message across to the Target corporation, these mothers have received a lot of media attention which is in turn bringing awareness to the public at large about breastfeeding in public being protected under the law.
I get what you're saying, but most of us know this already and for some people, it's just going to make them not take the women seriously because of these over-the-top tactics.

Look...some foolio spouts off and tells a woman to please breastfeed in a changing room (this is what they told her - they didn't try to kick her out), and now it's some sort of outrage against a company whose overall corporate policy does not reflect this guy's behavior...thus making the country-wide 'breastfeed-in' seem kind of dumb.

It would make more sense if Target as a corporation said, "EFF YOU, breastfeeding women! It's our store and we'll make the rules here!" THEN I would be all about some hearty protest.

The problem with people these days is that they whine and protest at the drop of a hat, undermining those with legitimate causes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 10:58 AM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,155,577 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I get what you're saying, but most of us know this already and for some people, it's just going to make them not take the women seriously because of these over-the-top tactics.

Look...some foolio spouts off and tells a woman to please breastfeed in a changing room (this is what they told her - they didn't try to kick her out), and now it's some sort of outrage against a company whose overall corporate policy does not reflect this guy's behavior...thus making the country-wide 'breastfeed-in' seem kind of dumb.

It would make more sense if Target as a corporation said, "EFF YOU, breastfeeding women! It's our store and we'll make the rules here!" THEN I would be all about some hearty protest.

The problem with people these days is that they whine and protest at the drop of a hat, undermining those with legitimate causes.
It wasn't just one Target employee. There were 8 employees involved. Imagine how you would feel if this woman was your wife?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyl...demonstration/
Quote:
Last month at a Webster, Texas Target store, Hickman began nursing her fussy, hungry infant son in the store’s women’s clothing section. Hickman, 35, said that eight Target employees eventually surrounded her and two asked her to move to a fitting room to finish nursing. The other employees, she said, rolled their eyes at her and gave her dirty looks.
I'm not so sure that most people understand that breastfeeding is protected by the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 10:59 AM
 
11,230 posts, read 9,267,286 times
Reputation: 14658
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We're breastfeeding our son but I find these militant boobie

You REALLY just called them boobies? How old are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 11:00 AM
 
3,647 posts, read 9,337,209 times
Reputation: 5427
I have friends who breastfeed, who have breastfed at restaurants when we're eating, who have breastfed in my home, in the same room with our entire family and theirs - and not seen anything. I respect these mothers. Of course, most of them try to schedule their feedings when they'll be in home, in private. There is an occasional need to do it in public -- not an everyday need. In addition, breastfeeding is supposed to be about bonding, focusing on your child, not an after Christmas sale on shoes.

I have also seen one of these 'feed ins' - where few of the women were 'discreet', because they're all about making a point. The point they end up making is that they're caricatures and no one with an ounce of sense will take them seriously.

If I can see your boob while you're breastfeeding, then you're an exhibitionist, similar to a stripper. You don't deserve my respect, and you're NOT doing it for your child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 AM
 
11,230 posts, read 9,267,286 times
Reputation: 14658
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I get what you're saying, but most of us know this already and for some people, it's just going to make them not take the women seriously because of these over-the-top tactics.
What is over-the-top about activism? Activism gives us today's civil rights, women's rights, gay marriage. I think activism is awesome. But then I think ignorant bigotry is BAD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top