U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:58 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,143,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The point is, if she had been breastfeeding in a safer location, it probably would not have attracted anyone's attention. When's the last time you've seen an adult customer sitting on the floor in a store?
I don't think it matters. Women have been told to go elsewhere many times for breastfeeding. Some were seated on benches, some were covered, etc. The fact remains, this woman was asked to move because she was breastfeeding, not for safety reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 11:59 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,796,877 times
I am all for a mother choosing to breastfeed in public, and who knows exactly what happened in this case, but.....sitting on the floor in the middle of the store is a bit odd IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
And Stan4---aren't you a doctor? Do I have the right person? If you are a doctor and you refer to breasts as boobies---well I certainly would have little confidence in your abilities as a doctor. Attitude says so much.
Stan 4 is a doctor, a woman, and the parent of a young infant.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:03 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,235,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I am all for a mother choosing to breastfeed in public, and who knows exactly what happened in this case, but.....sitting on the floor in the middle of the store is a bit odd IMO.

Stan 4 is a doctor, a woman, and the parent of a young infant.
Fun bags? A woman refers to them as "fun bags"??!!??

Old 12-29-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Fun bags? A woman refers to them as "fun bags"??!!??
Yes, it is a bit "frat-boy" isn't it?

Old 12-29-2011, 12:47 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,656,980 times
Some people- women and men- are just too juvenile to understand what breastfeeding is all about
Kasey Kahne apologizes for berating breastfeeding mom - Sports Blog - CBS News

Old 12-29-2011, 12:47 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,968,624 times
I also think it odd that she would sit on the floor to nurse. Who would want to sit on some nasty, germ infested floor with their infant to nurse? Wouldn't a changing room be cleaner and more comfortable at least? If the woman was harassed simply for breastfeeding, it was wrong. If she had been walking around the store or sitting on a bench, someone would have been wrong for approaching her. But she wasn't asked to leave the store, or stop doing it, or go into a dirty bathroom. Go into a changing room, or just get up off the floor, what's the big deal?

I'm not seeing how a feed in is helping the situation. There are already laws protecting nursing moms, so that's not an issue. And it's not going to change attitudes, if anything, it will make it worse. A lot of people who have a problem with breastfeeding moms feel they are seeking attention, especially those that feel the need to be flamboyant about it. To me, this feed in only reinforces that belief.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:19 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,956,329 times
The reason this incident turned into a nurse-in is not because an individual was harassed at an individual store. It is because when she called corporate to complain and request that these employees be retrained in the law, corporate told her that they are aware of the law but that Target has policies that are different from the law. Target doesn't get to be exempt from the law. Whether this particular mother was nursing covered or not, or sitting on the floor or a bench, really is immaterial. The issue is that Target corporate thinks they are above the law. That is what had mothers upset enough to demonstrate at >100 Target stores across the US and Canada.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:58 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,393,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
The reason this incident turned into a nurse-in is not because an individual was harassed at an individual store. It is because when she called corporate to complain and request that these employees be retrained in the law, corporate told her that they are aware of the law but that Target has policies that are different from the law. Target doesn't get to be exempt from the law. Whether this particular mother was nursing covered or not, or sitting on the floor or a bench, really is immaterial. The issue is that Target corporate thinks they are above the law. That is what had mothers upset enough to demonstrate at >100 Target stores across the US and Canada.
So, just for argument's sake, why does a nursing mother's rights supersede my rights not to have to trip over some mom sitting on the floor nursing her child? It's detrimental to my health to fall on my face tripping over someone too. I think that the government overstepped their boundaries when they allow these laws to override their store policies. I can see allowing this in PUBLIC places but not on private property. For what it is worth, I nursed all of my children and when I went out in public I either brought bottles of breastmilk or nursed them in various lounges, etc. If there wasn't a good place to nurse them, I either went to my car or home.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:09 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,143,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
So, just for argument's sake, why does a nursing mother's rights supersede my rights not to have to trip over some mom sitting on the floor nursing her child? It's detrimental to my health to fall on my face tripping over someone too. I think that the government overstepped their boundaries when they allow these laws to override their store policies. I can see allowing this in PUBLIC places but not on private property. For what it is worth, I nursed all of my children and when I went out in public I either brought bottles of breastmilk or nursed them in various lounges, etc. If there wasn't a good place to nurse them, I either went to my car or home.
Are you upset because she was sitting on the floor or are you upset because she was breastfeeding? The store asked her to move because she was breastfeeding, not because she was sitting on the floor.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I am a big advocate of breastfeeding, be it in private or public. I think Target's response was apalling. But...I have to question that what this woman is doing is in the best interests of promoting acceptance of breastfeeding in public, by that I mean choosing to sit on the floor in the middle of a store. Does that make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or