U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 03:14 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,340,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Are you upset because she was sitting on the floor or are you upset because she was breastfeeding? The store asked her to move because she was breastfeeding, not because she was sitting on the floor.
I'd LOVE to know why she sat on the floor.

I'm ALL if favor of breastfeeing but were she my own daughter I might very well roll my eyes at her and say, "Get up off the floor! It's dirty, you're blocking the aisle and someone could clobber you and the baby with a cart."
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 03:32 PM

2,352 posts, read 3,917,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'd LOVE to know why she sat on the floor.

I'm ALL if favor of breastfeeing but were she my own daughter I might very well roll my eyes at her and say, "Get up off the floor! It's dirty, you're blocking the aisle and someone could clobber you and the baby with a cart."
Her account said she sat in an out-of-the-way place, next to a jeans rack. If it's like most Targets, the jeans are against the wall. I seriously doubt she blocked an aisle or otherwise impeded shoppers.

I can understand the desire to nurse quickly - you just plop down and nurse; if the baby's fussy, he calms right away. Target's floor is probably cleaner than mine, with the dog & cat hair!

Old 12-29-2011, 03:47 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,377,160 times
But why sit on the floor? As shown in the pictures in the link the op gave it's just as easy to nurse standing up and in this case much safer.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:48 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,384,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Are you upset because she was sitting on the floor or are you upset because she was breastfeeding? The store asked her to move because she was breastfeeding, not because she was sitting on the floor.
Both

Old 12-29-2011, 03:52 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,142,602 times
It's really weird to me that people are so hung up on the fact that she was sitting on the floor. "It's okay to breastfeed in public but don't sit on the floor or nurse without a cover or nurse in a restaurant or nurse past 6 months or..."

If a woman was bottle feeding on the floor some might be annoyed by the fact that she's sitting on the floor but I doubt anyone would ask her to move for bottle feeding or judge bottle feeders as a group because one happened to choose to feed her baby while sitting on the floor.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:01 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,351,088 times
The whole thing seems a bit odd to me. It really isn't clear whether they asked her to move because she was sitting on the floor or because she was breastfeeding. We are only hearing her side of the situation. They could have asked her to move because she was on the floor and were offering her an alternate place to nurse since she seemed to need to sit while BFing.

Target did offer a pseudo-apology. Target Responds | Best for Babes
I feel like they were slow to respond and didn't offer a full apology for a couple of reasons. They may not know the whole situation either. Were they dealing with a woman who took an offer of a more comfortable place to nurse in the wrong way? Did the employees gang up on her and ask her to move because of the BFing? Since they don't know for sure what happened, it is hard to apologize for something that they aren't even sure happened that way.

The other reason is probably because we live in such a litigious society. The corporate lawyers probably had to get involved and they were trying to find the best way to handle it without being sued.

I don't think we will every know the full truth about what happened that day.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:02 PM

42,223 posts, read 49,783,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
\
And Stan4---aren't you a doctor? Do I have the right person? If you are a doctor and you refer to breasts as boobies---well I certainly would have little confidence in your abilities as a doctor. Attitude says so much.
Dude. You seriously need to lighten up.
I certainly have little confidence in your ability to exercise judgment about all sorts of things in life if you think my saying 'boobie' means I am suddenly a bad doctor. Luckily, what you think has little bearing on my life.
This, btw, is what we call a stupid personal attack because you can't argue actual substance.

I don't think one single reasonable person on this thread thinks it's wrong to breastfeed your baby when he/she is hungry.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:13 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Fun bags? A woman refers to them as "fun bags"??!!??
I call them casabas, melons, "the girls," funbags, bewbs, boobies, ta-tas, and a few things that would be censored here. It depends on my mood. My favorite is breasticles - which is what Ruby calls them and it cracks me up every time I hear it.

What the heck difference does it make what someone calls them?

Old 12-29-2011, 04:26 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,340,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
The other reason is probably because we live in such a litigious society. The corporate lawyers probably had to get involved and they were trying to find the best way to handle it without being sued.

I don't think we will every know the full truth about what happened that day.
Target has a MASSIVE surveillance system. It's all been recorded. The truth is out there. Somewhere.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:36 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,455,105 times
I am good with that..I would have taken my son, but he is no longer breastfeeding...he is 27.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or