U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:26 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times

Advertisements

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyl...ional-demonstr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:55 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,828,849 times
The original incident in the Webster Target was not far from me. Texas law does protect women who nurse in public.

HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE**CHAPTER 165. BREAST-FEEDING

Quote:
Sec. 165.002. RIGHT TO BREAST-FEED. A mother is entitled to breast-feed her baby in any location in which the mother is authorized to be.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:04 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,430,996 times
While I'm all for breastfeeding (I exclusively pumped for 11 months due to my child refusing breastfeeding), I find this a bit over the top.

I can sympathize with the original woman, I can, but it feels like this is just feels like a holier-than-thou attitude stunt.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
While I'm all for breastfeeding (I exclusively pumped for 11 months due to my child refusing breastfeeding), I find this a bit over the top.

I can sympathize with the original woman, I can, but it feels like this is just feels like a holier-than-thou attitude stunt.
I think it is called consciousness raising and I see nothing wrong with it. One injustice can cause multiple injustices and people like to get the message out to help corporate America make corrections. It usually works.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:26 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,828,849 times
Go over to the Houston forum and see the thread started there. The man is comparing breastfeeding in public to urinating or defecating in public.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:22 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,025,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Go over to the Houston forum and see the thread started there. The man is comparing breastfeeding in public to urinating or defecating in public.
The males with stunted emotional growth always say that.

Sometimes you've just got to ignore the ignorant among us

Target seems fine with nursing moms and shouldn't be punished because of something one uninformed employee said or did.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:51 PM

3,647 posts, read 9,305,546 times
The part that amuses me with these 'feed ins' is the hypocrisy of it.

Breastfeeding moms are supposedly doing it because it's best for their child. At a 'feed in', I'm supposed to believe that 40 breastfeeding babies, in the nearby area, all feed on the exact same schedule?

That just cracks me up... 40 women showing their boobs in public, not to feed their child, but to make a point.

Strippers do the same thing, but for tips.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:32 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,139,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Target seems fine with nursing moms and shouldn't be punished because of something one uninformed employee said or did.
There were 8 employees involved, not just one.

The point of a nurse in is to draw attention to the issue of breastfeeding in public which is protected under the law. The more people who understand the law, the less likely it is that mothers will be confronted and humiliated by people who don't understand that breastfeeding in public is protected by the law. It's about raising awareness.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

That just cracks me up... 40 women showing their boobs in public, not to feed their child, but to make a point.

Strippers do the same thing, but for tips.

What an incredibly sad and rather sick attitude. It is possible to nurse a baby in public without showing an inch of skin and women have been discreet about it for a gazillion years.

I certainly never exposed a breast while I nursed for 2 years- not even in my own home. Nobody would have objected, it was simply how I preferred to nurse. Even Michelle Duggar nurses on TV and she doesn't show anything.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:40 AM

2,310 posts, read 4,812,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
There were 8 employees involved, not just one.

The point of a nurse in is to draw attention to the issue of breastfeeding in public which is protected under the law. The more people who understand the law, the less likely it is that mothers will be confronted and humiliated by people who don't understand that breastfeeding in public is protected by the law. It's about raising awareness.
And to protect breastfeeding mothers from morons who compare it to stripping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or