U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 03:21 PM

14,212 posts, read 9,676,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you really want to make gender-free toys, then you need to do away with Barbie entirely. And all dolls, both male and female. Baby wetsalot would no longer exist, since you have to make it gender-free, and that means no penis, and no -lack- of penis to imply a female either.

Pink has always been a "traditional" color for girls, and blue has always been a "traditional" color for boys. Some people LIKE tradition. Some people don't. And for that reason, I'm glad there is still a choice. You don't like pink, fine. Get purple instead. But don't tell me I can't pick pink for my god-daughter just because the idea is offensive to you.

I DO think it's silly for Leggo to do the whole girl thing, because traditionally, Leggo is already gender neutral. They are now -adding- a gender-traditional color, which never existed in their products before. That, I think is silly. But hey - if it sells, who am I to complain? I just won't get the pink Leggos and stick to the traditional ones.

Gender is not sexual organs but rather the characteristics we define that would be viewed as feminine of masculine.. So you could still have every one of those dolls out there you just would need to stop only market them to one specific sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 03:22 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,237,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
One of my little cousins is six, and my uncle has a post-Christmas picture of her last year in a tutu (from my mom) and pink sparkly boots (from us), in the middle of a spectacular spinout in her racing go-cart (from him). It's awesome.
That's what I'm talking about, baby!

Old 12-30-2011, 03:22 PM

49,212 posts, read 39,657,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Following on from the discussion of gender-specific lego's, I thought this article was very thought provoking.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/30/op...ense.html?_r=1

I personally object to the overt gender specific toys as it is determined by the marketing companies, and not the children themselves. I feel many children miss out on experiencing a variety of toys as they are so strongly influenced by advertizing and packaging geared towards specific genders. It has taken many years for me to get the message across to my own children that the packaging means little, it's the enjoyment of the toy that is important.
That's why I bought my neice the Hello Kitty AR-15 so she can express her femine side while shooting coyotes.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's why I bought my neice the Hello Kitty AR-15 so she can express her femine side while shooting coyotes.

DO THEY SERIOUSLY MAKE THOSE? ~bounces up and down with excitement~

Old 12-30-2011, 03:28 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,807,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Gender is not sexual organs but rather the characteristics we define that would be viewed as feminine of masculine.. So you could still have every one of those dolls out there you just would need to stop only market them to one specific sex.
The word Gender refers to exactly what you said: characteristics that make something masculine or feminine. A humanoid with a penis - is masculine. Penises are characteristics that are masculine things. A humanoid with a vulva and no penis is feminine. Vulvas without penises are feminine things.

Gender is not exclusively a social characteristic word. It includes physiological characteristics - with penises - and lack thereof - being one (or rather two) of those characteristics.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:44 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,478,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'd have been embarassed to pieces if someone had handed me that when I was younger. The girlie version? No thank you. And a mag-fed semi-auto to shoot coyotes? I'd have been offended that they thought I was such a bad shot.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The word Gender refers to exactly what you said: characteristics that make something masculine or feminine. A humanoid with a penis - is masculine. Penises are characteristics that are masculine things. A humanoid with a vulva and no penis is feminine. Vulvas without penises are feminine things.

Gender is not exclusively a social characteristic word. It includes physiological characteristics - with penises - and lack thereof - being one (or rather two) of those characteristics.

Sex organs in regards to gender identity are sort of a depending on who you talk to belief. I don't think sex organs play or should play rather any part in gender, but others disagree. Even so, from a biological standpoint you could still have dolls with both parts on them. Though to be honest, i have never seen any anatomically correct dolls in the toy store so maybe there is not point to all this anyway .

Old 12-30-2011, 06:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,575,054 times
We have boy/girl twins. Our oldest child is a boy. We had probably 2 "girl" toys in the house when the twins started crawling. DD would empty the entire toy box to get to the "girl" toys. As they got older, 2 3, 4 years old, beanie babies were all the range. They would both play with beanie babies however while dd was wrapping them in blankets and rocking them, DS was recreating the Clone Wars with his. A lot of this is innate. They are now teenagers and DS is much more "domestic" then DD, who is very much a tomboy. Dh was/is very involved in 'rearing" the kids as well as doing a lot of baking, cleaning, etc.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:05 PM

11,621 posts, read 19,799,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
We have boy/girl twins. Our oldest child is a boy. We had probably 2 "girl" toys in the house when the twins started crawling. DD would empty the entire toy box to get to the "girl" toys. As they got older, 2 3, 4 years old, beanie babies were all the range. They would both play with beanie babies however while dd was wrapping them in blankets and rocking them, DS was recreating the Clone Wars with his. A lot of this is innate. They are now teenagers and DS is much more "domestic" then DD, who is very much a tomboy. Dh was/is very involved in 'rearing" the kids as well as doing a lot of baking, cleaning, etc.
Girls and boys do play with toys differently. My youngest son played with a little girl when he was younger. She had a variety of toys in her house. Dolls, building toys, dress up stuff, blocks, etc.....When he played with her he was 100% willing to play with her dolls and stuff but he played with them very differently. He was rougher and wanted to "do" things with his babies. She was more gentle and nurturing with them. It's just how they played.

Of course now my son has a totally different perspective on girls.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Girls and boys do play with toys differently. My youngest son played with a little girl when he was younger. She had a variety of toys in her house. Dolls, building toys, dress up stuff, blocks, etc.....When he played with her he was 100% willing to play with her dolls and stuff but he played with them very differently. He was rougher and wanted to "do" things with his babies. She was more gentle and nurturing with them. It's just how they played.

Of course now my son has a totally different perspective on girls

So he doesn't like tossing them in the air and bodyslamming them you say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting