U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:10 PM

51,640 posts, read 50,868,608 times

Advertisements

Wow. I'm kind of surprised at all the people who didn't drink in high school. I drank a lot. That's what we did on Friday nights. Hung out in the woods or in this big field and drank beer. We'd get older kids to buy beer or get it from one store that didn't check ID's and back then the drinking age was 18 and they didn't have all the drunk-driving laws they have now so it was easier, anyway.

My parents did not allow us to drink at home, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 07:14 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,628,224 times
drugs, underage sex, booze, weapons, violence if they are under 18 and in your house, its your job.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:22 PM

12,944 posts, read 19,896,145 times
How about over 18? I just went through this scenario the other night when one of my sons had his 21st birthday. I told him he could hold a party here, because I really didn't want him out drinking to excess, or being pressured to do multiple shots.

While all his friends are in college, some of them are still 20. I didn't overtly police the drinking, but before I went to bed around 2 :00 am, I went downstairs and asked anybody who had been drinking to spend the night. Several complied.

I have been pretty impressed with the college kids I know, in general. They are very good at choosing a designated driver before going out. Nobody wants a DUI on their record, and the police here are always on the lookout for them.

Mighty Queen, regular drinking wasn't huge at my NJ high school for some reason. I didn't have any alcohol at all until senior year.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
How about over 18? I just went through this scenario the other night when one of my sons had his 21st birthday. I told him he could hold a party here, because I really didn't want him out drinking to excess, or being pressured to do multiple shots.

While all his friends are in college, some of them are still 20. I didn't overtly police the drinking, but before I went to bed around 2 :00 am, I went downstairs and asked anybody who had been drinking to spend the night. Several complied.

I have been pretty impressed with the college kids I know, in general. They are very good at choosing a designated driver before going out. Nobody wants a DUI on their record, and the police here are always on the lookout for them.

Mighty Queen, regular drinking wasn't huge at my NJ high school for some reason. I didn't have any alcohol at all until senior year.

That's good--sounds as if the kids are being responsible. I was lucky--my daughter and her friends just flat out didn't want to drink in high school. None of them were into it. Even in college, it took her awhile to have a few drinks with friends. Her father is an alkie, so she's always been afraid she will be like him.

Now she is at school in a country where there is no drinking age. She's 20 and says that her 21st birthday back in the US will be no big deal because she can go to a club now and order a drink if she wants one.

When did you go to school, Mattie? I graduated high school in 1976. Drinking and smoking pot were pretty big amongst teens in those years, but things like cocaine were not--that was for wealthy adults. Although, I'm sure I went to high school with kids who didn't drink at all. The kids I hung out with did, though.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:08 PM

36,437 posts, read 41,840,502 times
I want to teach my kids the proper way to drink alcohol, from a previous poster

Really do you think kids( teens or even college kids) have the slightest desire to learn how to drink properly? I think they want to learn how to get buzzed or drunk. And what if the parents don't drink at all. Like us. We feel not obligated to teach our kids how to drink. That would have to be by example.

We are not prudes but we have both seen and experienced the hurt and pain drinking can cause so I feel it is my responsibility to teach my children they can have a great social life and lots of fun without drinking. My 30 year old son does drink at social occasions but he says he preferrs to smoke pot if he wants to get high. 28 year old daughter will enjoy wine with meals but she doesn't drink to get blitzed.

We did not teach them how to drink but we did teach them how not to act around other drinkers, how they had no obligation cause their friends were drinking and if they did drink to be very vary of inhibitions and always protect yourself from sexual encounters you might not remember in the morning.

I prefer teaching my kids how to stay strong against the pressures to drink rather than teach then how to drink in the first place.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:42 AM

5,970 posts, read 6,410,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wow. I'm kind of surprised at all the people who didn't drink in high school. I drank a lot. That's what we did on Friday nights. Hung out in the woods or in this big field and drank beer. We'd get older kids to buy beer or get it from one store that didn't check ID's and back then the drinking age was 18 and they didn't have all the drunk-driving laws they have now so it was easier, anyway.

My parents did not allow us to drink at home, though.
I drank in high school.
I had this one friend who had this co-worker and he used to let us come over and drink at his place with a few other people they worked with. I had to be about 17 at the time but another friends mom would always be the driver to and from because we would be staying the night at her house afterwards.
After that it would be at parties I went to and we ALWAYS had someone as a DD.
My mom let me drink at home too but I never had anyone over with me so it wasn't as fun just drinking with her or alone. She knew I went out and drank at 18+ and she knew I was smart about it because she let me drink at home since I was 16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

Regular drinking was HUGE at my high school.
So were prescription pain pills, which was VERY popular amongst the athletes.
Get an injury and get vicodin or percs and then they'd just somehow keep getting them.

The two hospitals in my area are weird, you can go in with a cough, and they'll give you vicodin. I went in for a cough that was making my chest hurt and they gave me prescription for percocet because vicodin makes me itch and makes me agitated. They even openly call them percotreats. Its SO EASY to get in my area. You go in with ANY pain and they give you narcotics for it.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:56 AM

1,594 posts, read 2,555,815 times
Several years ago, the parents of a teen went to jail after their kid hosted a party which included alcohol. Another teen who attended the party was killed in a car accident due to underage drinking. The victim's family sued, and I think the parents were sentenced to 5 years in prison or something like that. They had no idea there was alcohol at their son's party, and in fact, they were not even home when the part occurred. Gotta be careful, parents...

Old 12-31-2011, 09:19 AM

5,970 posts, read 6,410,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
Several years ago, the parents of a teen went to jail after their kid hosted a party which included alcohol. Another teen who attended the party was killed in a car accident due to underage drinking. The victim's family sued, and I think the parents were sentenced to 5 years in prison or something like that. They had no idea there was alcohol at their son's party, and in fact, they were not even home when the part occurred. Gotta be careful, parents...

I think the kids should be held accountable in that scenario.
Parents can't be everywhere 24/7 and you're not going to get a babysitter for anyone over the age of 10-12 or so. Definitely not 13+.
They should have held the kid responsible.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:00 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,913,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I think the kids should be held accountable in that scenario.
Parents can't be everywhere 24/7 and you're not going to get a babysitter for anyone over the age of 10-12 or so. Definitely not 13+.
They should have held the kid responsible.
I think both the kid and the parents should be held responsible in these cases.

If the parents have a child they cannot leave unattended, it doesn't matter what age that child is. If they had to leave an irresponsible sneaky child unattended, because some vacation trip or something was more important than parenting, then they should have had a neighbor keep an eye on their house and let them know if anything was amiss.

It sounds like this was a child that had zero respect for his parents or their home.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:07 AM

There was an incident a few years ago in my area wherein parents were charged with allowing underage drinking in their home after a death occurred. I think they were fined--I don't remember any jail time.

The parents allowed their teen to have a graduation party at their house and allowed alcohol to be served. The 17-year-old girl who died had ingested a couple of jello shots and then passed out and was unresponsive. She died on the way to the hospital. As it turned out, she had a previously-unknown heart condition and did not die from alcohol poisoning as was first suspected. But since the cops were called, the alcohol use by the kids with the parents' permission was found out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting