Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:09 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

Comments?

Parents held responsible for underage drinking *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/parents-held-responsible-for-1281985.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 12:15 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Yeah i find it hard to believe that the parents had no idea. Parents are not that stupid, and kids are generally not that smart to be able to hide it.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:19 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
In general, I agree that parents should not be giving other kids alcohol. I believe that they should have the right to make decisions about their own children on their own property, but other children are off-limits. However, in this case, the dad claims he did not allow alcohol at the party but kids brought it anyway.
Quote:
He spent a night in jail and was booked on 44 counts of suspicion of contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Each misdemeanor count carries up to a $2,500 fine and nearly a year in jail.
Overboard, in my opinion. If the alcohol came from his house (easy enough to prove), then perhaps he is liable for not locking up the booze before the kids came over. But if another kid brought it, and the dad can prove that he checked on the kids (plenty of witnesses), then I think whoever gave that kid booze is liable.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:57 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
It kind of makes you hesitate to even allow your kids to have friends over---even if you are in the house and check in from time to time like this Dad says he did. That then drives the kids to park somewhere to drink and drink they will---I'm afraid it is part of growing up. I'm sure there are some kids who never partake but i venture to guess a large majority are going to try it at least once.

Anybody here never drink At ALL while they were teens? I experimented and got drunk a few times but mostly got sick. I never did like the taste of it and just couldn't see the point of drinking once I was about 28. Probably have had 6 beers in total in the last 35 years. DH doesn't drink either which surely influences what I do.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:09 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,678,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It kind of makes you hesitate to even allow your kids to have friends over---even if you are in the house and check in from time to time like this Dad says he did. That then drives the kids to park somewhere to drink and drink they will---I'm afraid it is part of growing up. I'm sure there are some kids who never partake but i venture to guess a large majority are going to try it at least once.

Anybody here never drink At ALL while they were teens? I experimented and got drunk a few times but mostly got sick. I never did like the taste of it and just couldn't see the point of drinking once I was about 28. Probably have had 6 beers in total in the last 35 years. DH doesn't drink either which surely influences what I do.

^this is what I was thinking.

Also I never drank as a teen. And to this day have only drank once. My mom was an alcholic so im scared to death of drinking.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:21 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,134,928 times
I was thinking about starting a thread similar to this a few days ago.

My mom would let me have a wine cooler every now and then. No big deal. I would rather let my kids drink under my supervision than have them party it up every now and then.

I hate how the U.S. will send an 18 year old off to war but not allow him to have a drink. No wonder why Europe looks at America as backwards. We are.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:25 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,631,757 times
What about teenagers who come home from school, have a few friends over, partake in some drinking while Mom and Dad are still at work? Assuming that the kids brought the booze over that day and there was no booze in the house. How can the parents be responsible? That is entirely the teens fault.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:17 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
It kind of makes you hesitate to even allow your kids to have friends over---even if you are in the house and check in from time to time like this Dad says he did.
It does!

Quote:
That then drives the kids to park somewhere to drink and drink they will---I'm afraid it is part of growing up. I'm sure there are some kids who never partake but i venture to guess a large majority are going to try it at least once.

I probably had less than one beer in total when I was in high school. I went to a party and sipped a little, but beer is gross (I still hate it), and I had no interest in drinking a lot of it. If someone had offered me something sweeter like a wine cooler or fuzzy navel, I might have, but all I was exposed to was beer. The first time I was ever tipsy was in college. I was only 20, but this was in England and legal there.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
What about teenagers who come home from school, have a few friends over, partake in some drinking while Mom and Dad are still at work? Assuming that the kids brought the booze over that day and there was no booze in the house. How can the parents be responsible? That is entirely the teens fault.
I think the kids who would do that have no fear of their parents or no rules. I have alcohol in my house and my kids nor their friends touch it. My kids would never allow their friends to help themselves to anything.

Also I do allow my kids to drink but only when I let them. That means special occasions only. I want to teach my kids the proper way to drink alcohol, not wait for their friends at some party to show them and that means wine with meals for certain holidays, maybe a beer when we're camping or a rare margarita or other drink. That way it's not forbidden fruit, they're not overly curious about alcohol but they also know that they leave their hands off it otherwise because I own it.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:

I drank well before I was a teen. My dad would give us a small glass of beer or wine but I didn't like the way any of that tasted. As a kid I hated beer. I hated whisky and all of it. I much preferred a root beer over whisky or beer or wine. Of course he never gave us enough to get drunk or sick and he also set an example as someone who never got drunk or sick.

When I was in high school, I knew if I wanted a beer I could ask for one and my parents would let me have one but as I didn't like the taste, I didn't want it, and when friends invited me over for a secret drinking party, I wasn't interested.

I don't like the feeling of "one too many" at all but I don't mind an occassional drink but I could take it or leave it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting