U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:44 AM

85,094 posts, read 99,210,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Does he have some special need that cannot be met without a bottle? I would take his refusal of the bottle as a blessing that he will give the bottle up willingly at an early age.

If you really really must have him continue a bottle (he seems to be a good age to start to give it up) then I would cut back the solid food you give him. Babies can only eat so much and he may just be full from the solid food that he eats.
Me, too! As stated above, most pediatricians advise getting the child off the bottle by 15 mos at the latest, to avoid "nursing bottle mouth" which happens when kids carry around a bottle all day long. If you're concerned about his milk intake, add a little extra milk to some of his solid foods, e.g. cereals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 09:55 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,973,430 times
I agree that it is common for parents to take bottles away at 12 months and only use cups at that point. Is there a special circumstance that we don't know here? If he doesn't want the bottles, I would start pushing cups instead. There are lots of options - sippy cups with and without valves (mine could only do them without valves for a good while), straw cups, open cups.

If you are concerned about dehydration, I would give more liquidy solid foods, such as applesauce or yogurt. You can add extra milk in his oatmeal too. You can substitute milk for water in some recipes. You can also make milk-popsickles that he can suck on. The mesh feeders are useful for this with ice cube trays. I used to make them out of breast milk for my little one. My first never took a bottle at all, even at daycare, and we just found other ways of getting milk and fluids into her when I wasn't around.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 AM

2,763 posts, read 4,459,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
If he isn't underweight or malnourished, there's no problem. He just doesn't want it.
Actually he is underweight, I probably should have mentioned that. My pediatrician wants me to continue with the formula/breastmilk for a few more months for the nutrients. He was born premature, so he is only about the physical size of an 8 month old at 12 months. At 1 year, he weighs 18.5 lbs, so he's only in the 5th percentile for weight.

But, I think I did discover why he is refusing the bottles. I forgot he was teething! He is an 'easy' teether. His two front teeth are coming in the pediatrician pointed out last week at the checkup. They are still up a bit in the gums at that point, so i bet they are about to come in now and its probably hurting him during the bottles. I'll try the gel and some tylenol and see how well that works.

While I understand we should quit the bottles, I do not want my son to lose any weight in the transition, so i'd rather transition to sippy cups when he starts using them better. Right now he takes a single sip and walks away, he's simply not interested in them. I'll still keep offering it and once he starts using it, i have no problem dropping the bottles.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:59 AM

2,316 posts, read 4,838,417 times
You mentioned breastmilk - will he take it 'from the tap'? Teething did always throw my son's eating way off too. But a suggestion for later - give him whatever you want him to have the most first. When we started solids I always nursed him first. Mine was low on the charts too but he is catching up now and had a really big growth spurt at 15 months.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:05 AM

My daughter, the one who didn't take bottles at daycare, was also a small kid, around 3-5% on the charts. At 1 year she was also about 17-18 pounds. She was not premature though, just always small. And she still is at 5 years old (34 pounds), it's just her body type. Her ped was not concerned about it because she always gained weight, if not percentiles. I encouraged my daughter to nurse a lot at night when we were together to make up for the lack of bottles when she was at daycare. While my friends wished for babies who would "sleep through the night", I was happy that mine was still nursing through the night. I didn't night-wean her until she was 2.

Anyway, you mention breastmilk, but I don't know if you are nursing or just pumping. Will your son nurse at all, or is he also refusing that? If he will nurse, then maybe try nursing more often to make up for the bottles. Not sure of your situation though.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:07 AM

Another thought, could it be as simple as an ear infection? Sometimes the sucking action on the bottle is more painful with an ear infection.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
You mentioned breastmilk - will he take it 'from the tap'? Teething did always throw my son's eating way off too. But a suggestion for later - give him whatever you want him to have the most first. When we started solids I always nursed him first. Mine was low on the charts too but he is catching up now and had a really big growth spurt at 15 months.
No, unfortunately not Since he was premature, he never would breastfeed. I tried as old as 6 months but he flat out refused the breast. I pumped for 11 months for him. I have about 3-4 weeks of milk in the freezer, so I"m using that stuff up now before it goes bad.

We feed bottles and solids on different schedules. IE: He has a bottle when he wakes up at 7:30am, has another after his first and second naps, and one before bed. He eats at random times during the day. I know I'm not very consistent on that. Whenever he seems hungry/fussy, i feed him. It works well for us.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:41 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,146,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
No, unfortunately not Since he was premature, he never would breastfeed. I tried as old as 6 months but he flat out refused the breast. I pumped for 11 months for him. I have about 3-4 weeks of milk in the freezer, so I"m using that stuff up now before it goes bad.

We feed bottles and solids on different schedules. IE: He has a bottle when he wakes up at 7:30am, has another after his first and second naps, and one before bed. He eats at random times during the day. I know I'm not very consistent on that. Whenever he seems hungry/fussy, i feed him. It works well for us.
By any chance did you change the nipple on the bottle? If you bought a new bottle with a different type of nipple in recent weeks some children do not take well to it.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:41 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,236,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post

Sounds like you're onto something with the teething interfering. M y DS had a heck of a time with erupting teeth and it definitely impacted nursing/bottle feeding. In the event that that's not the cause, one thing I found helpful when DS's feeding habits changed was to keep a log for a couple of weeks, to see what he was eating, how much and when, to see if there was a pattern to it. Any chance your DS is getting more than you think from solids? I don't know about you, but I think sometimes it's hard to keep track of it all!

Old 01-03-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
By any chance did you change the nipple on the bottle? If you bought a new bottle with a different type of nipple in recent weeks some children do not take well to it.
Nope, been using the same ones for several months. I'm going to try widening the hole a little bit to help him get the milk faster with this teething bit we're going through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or