Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:26 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times

Advertisements

When my grown kids were little I decided to start a few collections for them. Christmas decorations and nativity scenes come to mind. I was going to divvy these things up and send them on their way with some memories and family possessions.

Well son became atheist and daughter couldn't care less.

So now we have these 2 younger girls and I'm seeing it is a waste of space, money and time to try to save things for them as well.

For 40 years I have been hauling around my mother's "Good China", her crystal, her Hummel figurines etc and I"M SICK OF IT ALL. People don't entertain today like they did in her day and all her linen table cloths, china, bridge sets, etc are just a huge burden but I don't know how to get rid of it all. I've sold some on e bay, garage sales, etc but we still have way more than we should. I also have my MIL demitasse collection. Who in the world wants a demitasse collection?

So what I'm saying is if you want to buy something for your own enjoyment ---fine. But don't rationalize your purchases by saying "Someday the kids will want this" Chances are they don't want it either and we will all be doing ourselves and our kids a big favor by divesting ourselves of all this STUFF before we die. What a burden to leave for your children.

END OF RANT...can you tell I've been in the attic for 3 days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 10:29 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
That is a shame. I'm a china hoarder. I have three sets and three children, but they might not care either. I guess they'll have to bury it all with me.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
It is a shame, but I think it is very on target. I know so many folks who feel burdened by things that they inherited (collections, china, furniture).

I am still having to deal with things I have been "saving" for my son. It appears he and his fiancee are never gonna want those items. I wish I had just sold them years ago. With today's economy, not like we can get top dollar for many things we might need to sell.

I have several sets of fine china and I love them and I use them regularly. I don't "save" them just for special parties or dinners. But I can honestly say . . . it will be better for all concerned if I sell some of this stuff b/f I die and enjoy the money myself - cause no one else is going to want to be bothered with this stuff, beautiful tho it is. :-(

Old 01-03-2012, 10:50 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,710,427 times
Is there a garage sale the Antlered Chamataka can capitalize on?

Old 01-03-2012, 10:57 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,678,851 times
I cherish all the things my mom passes down to me. I have the hat my great grandfather wore in the war (not on our side unfortunatedly) but it still means alot to me. I plan to pass it down. I hope my daughter appreciates it.

Now things like the china and such I can see that being a huge burdon to have to carry with you when you move and find a place where it wont be damaged.

Maybe take some stuff to a local antique store and see if you cant get more than a few dollars for it.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:58 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,098,004 times
Good advice, no kudzu. I think programs like "Hoarders" shows the (extreme) results of hanging on to things for sentimental reasons. Plus, people (adult children) live very different lives these days, and don't want to be saddled with "keepsakes." (I've always hated that word!) And good for them...if it's not being used on a regular basis, and is sitting around "for show" collecting dust, get the hell rid of it!

Old 01-03-2012, 11:01 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,740,067 times
If your children are not grown yet many things don't meant the same BUT as they age they feel different about "things". Hold onto them for now.
Things I didn't care about growing up are now treasured. I may not use a lot of stuff but I am glad I have it because it was handed down to me.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:05 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
When my grown kids were little I decided to start a few collections for them. Christmas decorations and nativity scenes come to mind. I was going to divvy these things up and send them on their way with some memories and family possessions.

Well son became atheist and daughter couldn't care less.
I am going to speak to this from the other perspective.

Just because you are Christian doesn't mean I am going to be. I don't want a nativity scene from a religion that is not mine. It is just stuff. You may be a coin collector. I am not. It is just stuff that I now have to keep around and tote out when you show up so YOU don't get hurt feelings.

My FIL and MIL do this to us all the time. They are pack rats. We are not. We do not want to be responsible for storing the **** that they cannot bring themselves to get rid of.

Quote:
So now we have these 2 younger girls and I'm seeing it is a waste of space, money and time to try to save things for them as well.

For 40 years I have been hauling around my mother's "Good China", her crystal, her Hummel figurines etc and I"M SICK OF IT ALL. People don't entertain today like they did in her day and all her linen table cloths, china, bridge sets, etc are just a huge burden but I don't know how to get rid of it all.
As flylady says, if you don't love it, GET RID OF IT. It is all singing to you, Please release me, let me go. For you don't love me anymore. The figurines you could sell on craigslist. Someone out there would love the stuff. Screw the kids. Give it to someone who wants it.

Quote:
I've sold some on e bay, garage sales, etc but we still have way more than we should. I also have my MIL demitasse collection. Who in the world wants a demitasse collection?

So what I'm saying is if you want to buy something for your own enjoyment ---fine. But don't rationalize your purchases by saying "Someday the kids will want this"
I thought you were complaining about the lack of appreciation from said kids. I agree 500% with you here.

Quote:
Chances are they don't want it either and we will all be doing ourselves and our kids a big favor by divesting ourselves of all this STUFF before we die. What a burden to leave for your children.

END OF RANT...can you tell I've been in the attic for 3 days?
Some days it seems the best solution is to burn the whole house down.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:06 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
That is a shame. I'm a china hoarder. I have three sets and three children, but they might not care either. I guess they'll have to bury it all with me.
I have my grandmother's wedding china. (She was married in 1918.) No way I'd get rid of it. It's our family's history.

Over Christmas my kids and I sat on the floor and we divvied up their grandfather's collection of Western memorabilia and their great-grandfathers photograph collection. (A house guest kept saying, "Shouldn't that be in a museum?". I said, "Probably, but would you like to have this?" He went home happy too!

We must be a tremendously sentimental bunch.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:11 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,010,807 times
after the 3rd generation your precious things just become stuff. no one by that time cares if it was great grandpa's or grannies. save the stuff you want and if your kids want it fine. don't count on it. many times we save stuff and the person we want to give it to has either no interest or space to use/store it. memories are in the people not in the stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting