U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:32 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,471,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
LMAO.. this cracked me up because I remember when the "World Wide Web" became a huge deal (and yes yongin's we actually called it the "world wide web") and how hooking and unhooking the phone line to the computer so you could make and receive phone calls. Or the dreaded loud dial tone it would make when trying to connect, which sometimes would take FOREVER, and then the total disappointment when sitting there waiting forever for the connection, you would receive the "line is busy" message
Anyone remember putting the phone handset (physically) into a modem? I think it was the Commodore that did that first. I can assure everyone that FB would not exist and no one would worry about friending Mom if we still had to do that. It took infinite patience. And time. You had to REALLY want to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 06:44 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,747,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Anyone remember putting the phone handset (physically) into a modem? I think it was the Commodore that did that first. I can assure everyone that FB would not exist if we still had to do that.
lol, could you imagine using facebook only via dos commands?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:05 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,353,324 times
Quote:
LMAO.. this cracked me up because I remember when the "World Wide Web" became a huge deal (and yes yongin's we actually called it the "world wide web") and how hooking and unhooking the phone line to the computer so you could make and receive phone calls. Or the dreaded loud dial tone it would make when trying to connect, which sometimes would take FOREVER, and then the total disappointment when sitting there waiting forever for the connection, you would receive the "line is busy" message
OMG NOT THE BUSY SIGNAL! I remember RUSHING home from school with my sister so we could hopefully sign onto AOL. After all that was the "hot" time to go on. Sometimes, if too many people were trying at once, you actually had to try later! Haha this is like a trip down memory lane.

I also remember waiting 4 HOURS to download what we thought was the Happy Days Theme Song but when it downloaded all it said was "Sunday Monday Happy Days" and we waited 4 HOURS!!!!!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:06 PM

I also remember my mom coming up to me and saying "there's this new thing called google and you can look up ANYTHING" and I remember typing things in and geting like 7 pages of results vs the 7,000 now.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:46 PM

11,617 posts, read 19,792,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I also remember my mom coming up to me and saying "there's this new thing called google and you can look up ANYTHING" and I remember typing things in and geting like 7 pages of results vs the 7,000 now.
Do you remember Alta Vista?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:54 PM

9,057 posts, read 6,762,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Do you remember Alta Vista?
Ooh, I do! And Webcrawler. And those horrible homemade sparkly web pages.

Not to mention having to stop because you were out of minutes and about to go over!

The horrors. I'm probably scarred for life.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:08 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,375,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
It's almost like different thread, same debates, same back-handed insults, same holier-than-thouness. Just an observation.

It's like we switch up the words and situations a little bit, but it kind of boils down to the same old thing.

Interesting irony. People think nothing of insulting each other on a forum (and often do so in a way which implies they know a lot more the person than they really do, often chock-full of assumptions, just based on what they said, and often twisting their words on top of that).... yet we're supposed to speak of Joe Blow from YouTube or people from a random news story like family?
Exactly, and I'm done with it. These folks ain't about to ruin my thread.

I hope that was a classy enough statement.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Ooh, I do! And Webcrawler. And those horrible homemade sparkly web pages.

Not to mention having to stop because you were out of minutes and about to go over!

The horrors. I'm probably scarred for life.
Omg this is so fun. Like angelfire.com/~sExXxIIIIGURLxo69 and those kind of pages girls made with all the graphics. I love it.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:38 PM

8,004 posts, read 9,703,256 times
Quote:
lol, could you imagine using facebook only via dos commands?
Now THAT'S funny!!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:03 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,704,306 times
Y'all are forgetting about AskJeeves.com, the Internet butler to whom you could pose all your questions!
I think now he's called Siri and he's on some people's phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or