Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:36 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

Mass. library sends cops to collect overdue books from 5-Year-Old - Crimesider - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 10:39 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Tax dollars hard at work i see ~rolls eyes~

Old 01-04-2012, 11:04 AM

652 posts, read 1,052,652 times
This should be about the mom...not the girl.

I don't think the cops should have been involved...but at some point not returning the materials so that others can use them is theft.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:11 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
I find it hard to believe that they got no warnings prior to the cop showing up.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:12 AM

652 posts, read 1,052,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I find it hard to believe that they got no warnings prior to the cop showing up.
Agreed.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
In my neck of the woods, the warning is a summons to appear in court. Could you imagine someone ignoring a court summons?

Old 01-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
In my neck of the woods, the warning is a summons to appear in court. Could you imagine someone ignoring a court summons?
Is that the first warning? No letter? no e-mail? We get an e-mail reminder 3 days before the books are due. Once a book is overdue, we get another e-mail. I've never let it go past that notice, so I don't know what would come next. I used to work for local govt. and we sent numerous letters and warnings. I mean NUMEROUS. No way could someone be unaware there was an issue until a cop showed up.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Is that the first warning? No letter? no e-mail? We get an e-mail reminder 3 days before the books are due. Once a book is overdue, we get another e-mail. I've never let it go past that notice, so I don't know what would come next. I used to work for local govt. and we sent numerous letters and warnings. I mean NUMEROUS. No way could someone be unaware there was an issue until a cop showed up.
The library isn't the government though. I have no idea what they do these days with email being so common. Before email, they didn't send letters or make phone calls. That's too costly for a nonprofit, even moreso these days with grants and funding being cut for libraries. They'd search their system a couple times a year and turn the most overdue over to the magistrate. Since it's criminal, it doesn't cost them anything because they don't have to pay filing fees. The magistrate's office would send a court summons and people would go running to the library to pay their fees before the court day to avoid having to appear. If they didn't pay or appear in court, the cops most certainly would have shown up but I've never heard of it happening here. It was a very efficient and effective tactic. When it happens to people, word gets around and everyone is more attentive at returning books and paying fees. This news story will serve that same purpose for this library. Around here, it was just word of mouth, never made the news. I can't imagine parents calling the news. Few people would want to call attention to their not paying their library fines. LOL

Old 01-04-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
The library isn't the government though. I have no idea what they do these days with email being so common. Before email, they didn't send letters or make phone calls. That's too costly for a nonprofit, even moreso these days with grants and funding being cut for libraries. They'd search their system a couple times a year and turn the most overdue over to the magistrate. Since it's criminal, it doesn't cost them anything because they don't have to pay filing fees. The magistrate's office would send a court summons and people would go running to the library to pay their fees before the court day to avoid having to appear. If they didn't pay or appear in court, the cops most certainly would have shown up but I've never heard of it happening here. It was a very efficient and effective tactic. When it happens to people, word gets around and everyone is more attentive at returning books and paying fees. This news story will serve that same purpose for this library. Around here, it was just word of mouth, never made the news. I can't imagine parents calling the news. Few people would want to call attention to their not paying their library fines. LOL
That's crazy. It sounds like it works though.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:18 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:

When i was a kid we got little postcards for overdo books. And the library is part of the government since your tax dollars pay for it :-P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting