U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:32 PM

15,844 posts, read 18,575,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Here's a little different scenario with the UGGS trend...
I have always (since high school) been fairly brand conscious and as an adult now realize which are better, which are not. Expensive doesn't always equate quality.
I buy certain handbags because they last longer and it makes more sense to me to buy something that lasts vs. a new handbag every season because the other one is falling apart.....
With that said, I try very,very hard to NOT instill this in my kids. My 9yr old has UGGS, we bought them formher and honestly, I don't know if she even knows they are UGGS because I just refer to them as her boots...
So, I have a close family member who has constantly criticized me for being so brand aware and is always making snide remarks...
Over the holidays we saw them and the very 1st thing she said was " Susie (not real name) got a Vera Bradley bag " and I said " oh, very pretty". Then she says and "jonnie is wearing a Shaun White polo shirt." ? I don't have boys so I a, not familiar with this brand....
Okay I thought, kind of funny throwing around the brand names but whatever...
Then when they were getting ready to leave, she asked her daughter to put on her UGGS. This really threw me, so I said " oh wow, she got UGGS too"? And she said " well, they aren't REAL ones, we just call them that".
So I made a snide remark about being pretty conscious about brands ourself this year and that I find it all a bit hypocritical.
I don't care who's kid is wearing what, but as I said, I don't go around shouting out that my daughter has on UGGS or that she is wearing JCrew or Lauren, she has NO idea most of the time where her clothes come from unless she is with me and she wants to shop, which is very rarely!
I can't stand all of the " keeping up", I buy the brands I like, that I feel is good quality and that's it. I certainly don't go around telling others what I am wearing or what my kids are wearing.
Thankfully, my daughter very rarely asks for certain things and she is fine with whatever she gets.
She rcvd an ipod touch from Santa this year and a new wii game, my 6 yr old who is NOT into clothes at all and is happy with her puma cotton lounge pants , got some car track set she wanted and a few DS games.....

I think alot ofmthe problem with kids wanting and wanting is that their parents want and want and they do it in front of them. Why would an adult who claims they could care less about brand names, call a pair of boots UGGS when they aren't? It's all a socio-economic status symbol to me if you are going to go around " name dropping" like that.
Or is it just like calling a tissue; Kleenex when it is just a generic brand? Lol, I don't know, but the whole thing just sounds so hypocritical and it worked my nerves...

As for the OP, it sounds as though you may have spent possibly the same amount of money on all of the gifts, that you would have for a pair of UGGS, so, if she really wanted UGGS, get them for her, but make it clear that is all she is getting..... So many people want to make it about the quantity of gifts vs. quality. UGGS are high quality boots, they last for several seasons and they do the job, keep your feet warm!
I find this so unnecessary. Now your daughter and your niece and nephew have holiday memories built around these totally unnecessary "my shoes are better than your shoes" type attitude. And believe me, kids are not stupid, even if you never utter the words, they can interpret the attitude.

I really think things need to be re-evaluated regarding several folks priorities. And, just a side note to the endulgent parents....Keep buying those expensive brands, cause when your child out grows them in a mth, my thrift store sells them cheap.
People need to get a grip. None of this matters when you are 50. Do yourselves a favor, put your money into savings for your kids college. Buy the nicest, cheapest things, they out grow them too fast to justify these horrific prices. Teach your children to be frugal, it is a skill that may save their life one day.
I grew up poor, I appreciate everything I have, and everything I will ever have. My Sister and I laugh on the phone reminding each other of how we have learned to cook, and make wonderful meals when other folks would say...There is nothing to eat...... All our children learned how to economize from us. There is the upside to being poor. You learn how to use your creativity. Always a good thing. Be kind to each other on these threads, it costs the same!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 12:33 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,282,159 times
Quote:
I have always (since high school) been fairly brand conscious and as an adult now realize which are better, which are not. Expensive doesn't always equate quality.
I buy certain handbags because they last longer and it makes more sense to me to buy something that lasts vs. a new handbag every season because the other one is falling apart.....
With that said, I try very,very hard to NOT instill this in my kids. My 9yr old has UGGS, we bought them formher and honestly, I don't know if she even knows they are UGGS because I just refer to them as her boots...
So, I have a close family member who has constantly criticized me for being so brand aware and is always making snide remarks...
Being aware of quality and wanting the latest styles because everyone else is doing it are two TOTALLY different things.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It isn't that it HAS to be name brand it's about your DD asking for something specific for Christmas and you giving her something else. Get her the cheep boots when you are back to school shopping, Christmas is about getting what you want, not what you need.
For whom? Where is this writ? I missed this rule. It seems you also missed that the daughter DID want what she was given. She also wanted MORE.

Am I the only one who finds it positively BIZARRE that gg is criticizing someone else' Christmas gift?

Old 01-04-2012, 12:46 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,910,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I find this so unnecessary. Now your daughter and your niece and nephew have holiday memories built around these totally unnecessary "my shoes are better than your shoes" type attitude. And believe me, kids are not stupid, even if you never utter the words, they can interpret the attitude.

I really think things need to be re-evaluated regarding several folks priorities. And, just a side note to the endulgent parents....Keep buying those expensive brands, cause when your child out grows them in a mth, my thrift store sells them cheap.
People need to get a grip. None of this matters when you are 50. Do yourselves a favor, put your money into savings for your kids college. Buy the nicest, cheapest things, they out grow them too fast to justify these horrific prices. Teach your children to be frugal, it is a skill that may save their life one day.
I grew up poor, I appreciate everything I have, and everything I will ever have. My Sister and I laugh on the phone reminding each other of how we have learned to cook, and make wonderful meals when other folks would say...There is nothing to eat...... All our children learned how to economize from us. There is the upside to being poor. You learn how to use your creativity. Always a good thing. Be kind to each other on these threads, it costs the same!
I completely agree with you, which is why I don't make a big deal about it, especially in front of the kids.it is my cousin who has made it a big deal.
My girls are frugal, they save their money and are very aware of what others do not have.
I think it is horrible all the brand name dropping here and there... I am fully aware it means nothing, but I did admit, I am all for quality. It doesn't always mean it costs more. As a matter of fact, there is a brand sold at this little chain ( I think it is called Belk?) that makes the cutest, and extremely affordable children's clothing line...
We shop at thrift stores sometimes as well.
I think for me, it was the whole way I which it was said "she has a Vera Bradley purse and he has on a Shaun White shirt,etc"... I just don't get it.nespecially after all the criticism I have taken over the years for being somewhat brand conscious....

I guess my other point is, don't try to prove a point to your kids by not getting them what they really want if you are just going to spend the same amount on 10 gifts vs. the one thing they really would like to have...

Old 01-04-2012, 12:47 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,773,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It isn't that it HAS to be name brand it's about your DD asking for something specific for Christmas and you giving her something else. Get her the cheep boots when you are back to school shopping, Christmas is about getting what you want, not what you need. There is nothing wrong with shopping with your DD and her asking for Uggs and you pointing out that she can get the uggs or 8 other things and letting her decide but when it comes down to a Christmas present, why would you intentionally disappoint your child?

And if it matters, my DD has never asked for Uggs, nor would she because she thinks they are ugly and uncomfortable...and I agree.
I vowed that I would bow out of this thread but this post hurts my feelings quite a bit. Intentionally disappoint? This is like I single handedly ruined my daughter's Christmas. I'm having a rather depressing New Year and this really makes me feel like crap. I have tears in my eyes as I write this and normally these discussions are entertaining and informative and I enjoy these forums.

I'm going to defend myself one last time since I am taking this very personally. My daughter asked for a laundry list of items for Christmas and she got many of her wishes. It was a joyful happy holiday for us but boots weren't under the tree. Boots weren't even the top priority gift. They were a nice to have thing but she wanted some other things more. I explained that we would go shopping for them together when she expressed disappointment later. Thus my response to this post (I'm not the OP btw). The black pair of boots weren't cheap either being listed at $125 but marked down and with our coupons, cash back, etc we got a number of things she was pretty happy with at the end. The boots look exactly like Uggs, they are warm and comfortable, weren't cheaply made. She loves them now and is happily wearing a number of our purchases but I think I mentioned that before in my earlier ramblings. The purple boots were more cheaply made but she was happy to get something in purple since her wish list were two pairs of boots. I thought that we did pretty good that day, had a nice lunch, and overall nice time. Everyone was or seemed happy.

I suppose that I'm just misguided and a dinosaur in this day and age of children. I'm on the older side and that probably makes me clueless about proper parenting and the modern trends in our society. I really am trying to do my best here. Please try to believe me when I say that I wasn't trying to spitefully teach my daughter a lesson. It wasn't anything like that or where I was trying to make a point by not buying her Uggs. We really did go looking for them but silly me, Kohls doesn't have them. I'm not the best of shoppers.

Peace and out. If anyone needs to respond to me, PM me. Don't quote my posts telling me what a ******* I am. I am already feeling that way about many things.

Last edited by Siggy20; 01-04-2012 at 12:58 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
I vowed that I would bow out of this thread but this post hurts my feelings quite a bit. Intentionally disappoint? This is like I single handedly ruined my daughter's Christmas.
Linmora, her categorizations of you and her seemingly intentional misunderstanding of what you are saying is completely out of line. Consider yourself publicly supported in the face of this absurd criticism.

Please don't get your feelings hurt!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:59 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,977,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
I vowed that I would bow out of this thread but this post hurts my feelings quite a bit. Intentionally disappoint? This is like I single handedly ruined my daughter's Christmas. I'm having a rather depressing New Year and this really makes me feel like crap. I have tears in my eyes as I write this and normally these discussions are entertaining and informative and I enjoy these forums.

I'm going to defend myself one last time since I am taking this very personally. My daughter asked for a laundry list of items for Christmas and she got many of her wishes. It was a joyful happy holiday for us but boots weren't under the tree. Boots weren't even the top priority gift. They were a nice to have thing but she wanted some other things more. I explained that we would go shopping for them together when she expressed disappointment later. Thus my response to this post (I'm not the OP btw). The black pair of boots weren't cheap either being listed at $125 but marked down and with our coupons, cash back, etc we got a number of things she was pretty happy with at the end. The boots look exactly like Uggs, they are warm and comfortable, weren't cheaply made. She loves them now and is happily wearing a number of our purchases but I think I mentioned that before in my earlier ramblings. The purple boots were more cheaply made but she was happy to get something in purple since her wish list were two pairs of boots. I thought that we did pretty good that day, had a nice lunch, and overall nice time. Everyone was or seemed happy.

I suppose that I'm just misguided and a dinosaur in this day and age of children. I'm on the older side and that probably makes me clueless about proper parenting and the modern trends in our society. I really am trying to do my best here.

Peace and out. If anyone needs to respond to me, PM me. Don't quote my posts telling me what a ******* I am. I am already feeling that way about many things.
I don't know why you're feeling so bad. You're daughter is happy, she had a good Christmas, and you were able to give her a lot of things she wanted. If she didn't get Uggs or whatever specific brand name she wanted, she got over it and is enjoying what she DID get, which is a great lesson for any child.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:00 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,773,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Linmora, her categorizations of you and her seemingly intentional misunderstanding of what you are saying is completely out of line. Consider yourself publicly supported in the face of this absurd criticism.

Please don't get your feelings hurt!
Thank you Somebody!! Just feeling down lately and probably should stay off the internet all together. And thank you DewDrop!!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:02 PM

14,212 posts, read 9,676,579 times
Quote:
Over the holidays we saw them and the very 1st thing she said was " Susie (not real name) got a Vera Bradley bag " and I said " oh, very pretty". Then she says and "jonnie is wearing a Shaun White polo shirt." ? I don't have boys so I a, not familiar with this brand....
Okay I thought, kind of funny throwing around the brand names but whatever...
Then when they were getting ready to leave, she asked her daughter to put on her UGGS. This really threw me, so I said " oh wow, she got UGGS too"? And she said " well, they aren't REAL ones, we just call them that".
So I made a snide remark about being pretty conscious about brands ourself this year and that I find it all a bit hypocritical.
I don't care who's kid is wearing what, but as I said, I don't go around shouting out that my daughter has on UGGS or that she is wearing JCrew or Lauren, she has NO idea most of the time where her clothes come from unless she is with me and she wants to shop, which is very rarely!
I can't stand all of the " keeping up", I buy the brands I like, that I feel is good quality and that's it. I certainly don't go around telling others what I am wearing or what my kids are wearing.
Thankfully, my daughter very rarely asks for certain things and she is fine with whatever she gets.
She rcvd an ipod touch from Santa this year and a new wii game, my 6 yr old who is NOT into clothes at all and is happy with her puma cotton lounge pants , got some car track set she wanted and a few DS games.....

I think alot ofmthe problem with kids wanting and wanting is that their parents want and want and they do it in front of them. Why would an adult who claims they could care less about brand names, call a pair of boots UGGS when they aren't? It's all a socio-economic status symbol to me if you are going to go around " name dropping" like that.
Or is it just like calling a tissue; Kleenex when it is just a generic brand? Lol, I don't know, but the whole thing just sounds so hypocritical and it worked my nerves...

As for the OP, it sounds as though you may have spent possibly the same amount of money on all of the gifts, that you would have for a pair of UGGS, so, if she really wanted UGGS, get them for her, but make it clear that is all she is getting..... So many people want to make it about the quantity of gifts vs. quality. UGGS are high quality boots, they last for several seasons and they do the job, keep your feet warm!
I love my UGGS

Old 01-04-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I don't know why you're feeling so bad. You're daughter is happy, she had a good Christmas, and you were able to give her a lot of things she wanted. If she didn't get Uggs or whatever specific brand name she wanted, she got over it and is enjoying what she DID get, which is a great lesson for any child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or