Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:32 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,314 times

Advertisements

Three of my son's classmates received Halo Reach for Christmas. Why in the heck get an M rated game for a 7-8 year old is beyond me...but none of my business really. Now my son is mad at me because I didn't buy him the game too. Let's not forget the fact he does not and will not have a game system for a few more years...lol.

Anyone else wonder about the mentality of other parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 04:48 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,202 times
Always

When my daughter starts saying well so n so got this n so n so got that I say, well I guess I can take all the stuff back you got because it isn't what so no so got, lol

Old 01-03-2012, 04:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
My oldest is 8 and I've been waiting for this to happen. I asked him today and he said he didn't even talk about gifts with his friends.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:13 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
Three of my son's classmates received Halo Reach for Christmas. Why in the heck get an M rated game for a 7-8 year old is beyond me...but none of my business really. Now my son is mad at me because I didn't buy him the game too. Let's not forget the fact he does not and will not have a game system for a few more years...lol.

Alas the burden is on you to express effectively to your child what an ingrate he is being and that maybe next year you will suggest to Santa that he is a bit to ungrateful and selfish to get gifts for Christmas.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:15 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Quote:

I have always expected that other parents will be the hardest thing about being a parent.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:35 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,789 times
What boggles my mind are parents buying all this expensive stuff for their kids and then I start getting hounded by my daughter for the same stuff. This Christmas has been a bit rough since I don't think the kids appreciate what they do get. She almost had a fit when I didn't get her Uggs boots. We shopped at Kohls instead and got two identical looking pairs of boots (one black, one purple), an assortment of pre teen shirts---all for under $100 bucks. Not Uggs though--I must be a horrid mom.

After many months of debate, we finally got my daugther a cell phone so she could keep in contact with us for bus schedules, etc. Now she tells me that she is embarrassed at the phone we got her because it is not the latest and greatest. I offered to take it from her if it was so embarrassing. She declined.

Don't know but these self entitled attitudes really are bothering me lately. We try to live modestly in this family and impart the value of money, saving, not blowing everything on the latest and greatest. It has been a hard fight with today's generation and a bit depressing.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:50 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
What boggles my mind are parents buying all this expensive stuff for their kids and then I start getting hounded by my daughter for the same stuff. This Christmas has been a bit rough since I don't think the kids appreciate what they do get. She almost had a fit when I didn't get her Uggs boots. We shopped at Kohls instead and got two identical looking pairs of boots (one black, one purple), an assortment of pre teen shirts---all for under $100 bucks. Not Uggs though--I must be a horrid mom.

After many months of debate, we finally got my daugther a cell phone so she could keep in contact with us for bus schedules, etc. Now she tells me that she is embarrassed at the phone we got her because it is not the latest and greatest. I offered to take it from her if it was so embarrassing. She declined.

Don't know but these self entitled attitudes really are bothering me lately. We try to live modestly in this family and impart the value of money, saving, not blowing everything on the latest and greatest. It has been a hard fight with today's generation and a bit depressing.
I guess I don't understand parents that don't try to get their kids what they do want. You spent the same amount of money as you would buying Uggs so why not just get them. I think that alone is a valuable lesson they can learn. Instead of getting 8 presents (or whatever) they get one. Did you let her come with you to the store to help pick out the cell phone? If not, why not. Let them see the various prices, give them a budget (which with a cell phone can be zero quite easily) and let her pay for an upgrade if she wants. Our kids have had cell phones for quite a while and their last upgrade was the only phones we have actually spent money on, the rest were all free. I gave them that exact option, I will "pay" for a free phone, anything else you can pay for. After looking at the price tags, they opted for the free phones. Just because you are not buying them expensive things doesn't mean you are teaching them lessons about the value of money.

Also, wanting what everyone else has is NOT new to this generation, it is as old as man. When I was growing up it was Levi's corduroy jeans everyone wanted, then Jordche, then Izod....

Old 01-04-2012, 06:23 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I guess I don't understand parents that don't try to get their kids what they do want. You spent the same amount of money as you would buying Uggs so why not just get them. I think that alone is a valuable lesson they can learn. Instead of getting 8 presents (or whatever) they get one. Did you let her come with you to the store to help pick out the cell phone? If not, why not. Let them see the various prices, give them a budget (which with a cell phone can be zero quite easily) and let her pay for an upgrade if she wants. Our kids have had cell phones for quite a while and their last upgrade was the only phones we have actually spent money on, the rest were all free. I gave them that exact option, I will "pay" for a free phone, anything else you can pay for. After looking at the price tags, they opted for the free phones. Just because you are not buying them expensive things doesn't mean you are teaching them lessons about the value of money.

Also, wanting what everyone else has is NOT new to this generation, it is as old as man. When I was growing up it was Levi's corduroy jeans everyone wanted, then Jordche, then Izod....
You are making it sound like I'm not getting her anything that she actually wants which is not the case. Let me clarify so I don't come across as the mean old mom here....

She did come to the store to get her cell phone. For goodness sakes, she is 11 and she was lucky to even get a cell phone and it was quite the deal to have a cell phone. Now it is not "good enough." For her birthday, she picked out a fancier one for under $99 that we are considering getting her. Then again, she will be disappointed not getting an i phone but there is no way in hell that I'm going to give into that. When she starts earning her own money, she can be my guest and buy what she wants.

As to the boots---for the price of $99, she got two pairs of boots, black and purple plus a bunch of shirts she wanted. Of course she wanted two pairs of Uggs boots and I told her no. With the money we spent, we got her quite a few things although not the name brand item she wanted.

She does get quite a few things that "she wants." I'm going to be a responsible parent and draw the line at some things. She can't have it all and better she learn that now.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:50 AM

299 posts, read 262,866 times
Quote:

"Forest. Life's like a box of chocolates. You take what'ca you git."

Old 01-04-2012, 07:27 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
You are making it sound like I'm not getting her anything that she actually wants which is not the case. Let me clarify so I don't come across as the mean old mom here....

She did come to the store to get her cell phone. For goodness sakes, she is 11 and she was lucky to even get a cell phone and it was quite the deal to have a cell phone. Now it is not "good enough." For her birthday, she picked out a fancier one for under $99 that we are considering getting her. Then again, she will be disappointed not getting an i phone but there is no way in hell that I'm going to give into that. When she starts earning her own money, she can be my guest and buy what she wants.

As to the boots---for the price of $99, she got two pairs of boots, black and purple plus a bunch of shirts she wanted. Of course she wanted two pairs of Uggs boots and I told her no. With the money we spent, we got her quite a few things although not the name brand item she wanted.

She does get quite a few things that "she wants." I'm going to be a responsible parent and draw the line at some things. She can't have it all and better she learn that now.
Best Buy had free IPhones over the weekend...

Again, let's assume she has a sibling, sibling gets 8 Christmas presents to open because said sibling is young and clueless about brands. DD gets one present to open because she asked for Uggs. The visual on that does two things, first, a concrete example of what buying $120 uggs vs the $20 Kohls boots means and second, a concrete example of is it really worth buying Uggs to have the label on the back? At age 11 that will mean MUCH more to her then you telling her Uggs are a waste of money.

At that age fitting in is important. Not that you have to give them everything but having one or two "popular" things IS a big deal at that age, no matter HOW much parents don't like it. Middle school is hard enough, why intentionally make it harder when you don't have to. It's one thing to flat out not be able to afford Ugg boots but when you spent the same amount of money on things she didn't ask for, not the case. Also, it's Christmas, it isn't about getting what you need but getting what you want. What is wrong with that?

This year my DD's favorite Christmas present, a $12.00 phone case for her Iphone. Last year our son REALLY wanted an Itouch, so that is what he got. A few years before that he REALLY wanted a Nerf Basketball hoop--we splurged and got him 2 (for a total of $10). I remember when having those huge combs sticking out of your back pocket was THE thing to have. Those combs cost about $2. It isn't so much about the money as it is just wanting to fit in. I am not saying that you have to spend thousands at Abercrombie but one pair of Ugg boots for Christmas isn't asking that much, I don't think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting