Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:32 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
But these people would be talking about her anyway, she wouldn't have to read it on her own site.

It is very sad and terrible all around.

I never saw bullying when I was young, but that was a long time ago. There were Slam books when I was a teen. They were passed around for comments, but were mostly funny.
That's true. And I agree, it is very sad and terrible all around. There was plenty of bullying in my Catholic grade school (in the late 80s) -particularly among the girls during the jr high years. DH reports similar things from his public school at that time. Some of it was downright cruel. It really makes me wonder how much the phenomenon of bullying has changed as opposed to the accessibility to it changing, if that makes sense.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:04 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,038 times
Default I think it might be available time

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
That's true. And I agree, it is very sad and terrible all around. There was plenty of bullying in my Catholic grade school (in the late 80s) -particularly among the girls during the jr high years. DH reports similar things from his public school at that time. Some of it was downright cruel. It really makes me wonder how much the phenomenon of bullying has changed as opposed to the accessibility to it changing, if that makes sense.
I was in school in the 50's-60's. I don't think we had extra "unchaperoned" time in which to bully, at least those of us in lots of activities, with adults all around seemingly all the time. Fighting was not tolerated. Maybe those walking home from school "a la Christmas story bully type" could have happened.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:04 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,890 times
Did the kids know she was in the hospital? If so, that is evil to the core.

But at the same time, how would these people have access to her Facebook wall? Was she Facebook friends with them?

Old 01-05-2012, 11:15 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,680 times
Some kids are just rotten imo and need a taste of their own medicine.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:36 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,930 times
This is a terribly sad story. This girl had a history of depression and suicidal threats/attempts. I think the bullying sent her over the edge, but I believe she had some serious issues befor the bullying ever started. I keep asking myself why she didn't switch schools.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:20 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
Did the kids know she was in the hospital? If so, that is evil to the core.

But at the same time, how would these people have access to her Facebook wall? Was she Facebook friends with them?

I checked out her Facebook page and it is open (not private) so anyone could have posted anything there.

From what the news was saying, one person wrote "Amanda ran in front of a bus. LMFAO". How ROTTEN and EVIL is that?????

Old 01-05-2012, 12:50 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I checked out her Facebook page and it is open (not private) so anyone could have posted anything there.

From what the news was saying, one person wrote "Amanda ran in front of a bus. LMFAO". How ROTTEN and EVIL is that?????
Well..... obviously Amanda encouraged some of the drama in her life, I see.

This opens up a whole new angle on it.

I won't even explain that. The ignorant people will think I'm being mean, the smart ones will understand where I'm coming from.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:24 PM

I just looked and there's a RIP Amanda Facebook page and there are some nasty comments on there, too. Ridiculous

Quote:
Well..... obviously Amanda encouraged some of the drama in her life, I see.

This opens up a whole new angle on it.

Please tell me what 15 year old doesn't have or encourage drama in their life??? Teenagers are all about angst and drama. I don't think she encouraged people to hate her enough to write nasty messages on her Facebook wall as she lay dying in a hospital.

I wish you would "explain" what you mean --- I'm far from ignorant and I don't understand what you're talking about other than what I just posted (teens and drama/angst)

Old 01-05-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What kind of bullying? There is no info on that. I can't scream about bullies if I don't know what they actualy did. As far as posting nasty comments on her fb while she was in the hospital, how would they have known? And it's easy to stop FB harassment.

You mean the kids who posted? Staten Island (where she lived) is a small place. If a kid from the high school got hit by a bus, it would have been on the local news, in the local free papers, and (of course) word of mouth.

There was info about the bullying on the news here. It was in the newspaper articles also. It was a combination of a recent breakup and the bullying that drove her over the edge.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:31 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,172 times
I'm still not understanding why these people were her "friends."
Not that it would have stopped any of them from their malicious chatter if they weren't able to post on her Facebook wall, but...
...why WERE they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting