U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 05:53 PM

144 posts, read 244,898 times

Advertisements

I would recommend a happy medium. I would major in something practical and minor in something fun. that way you can try to make a go of the fun career, but have your major to fall back on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 06:17 PM

9,057 posts, read 6,747,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If they do not like what they do, they will not do well. My kids are hopefully aware that there is a great deal more to enjoying life than how much money you can make.

I have been broke and wealthy at various times. I am no more happy when I am wealthy (maybe less stressed though, but not much. When you are broke you worry about not having enough money. When you have money, you worry about losing it, plus a lot of people hate you for being wealthy).

I tell my kids to do what makes them happy. They can live in my basement if they have to. So far they are doing just that. One is a music ed major - a five year program for a job that pays next to nothing and usually starts out part time. One is a psychology major (join the hordes), and intends to get a Phd and do clinical research (which pays little and costs a lot to obtain). IN the next lot, one may be a social worker, school counselr or masseusse. Another wants to be an automotive engineer.The last is considring being a lawyer. He is the only one that I am trying to influence to change his intentions, but we have lots of time for him to change his mind.
Thank you for doing that. I think that's a refreshing attitude. I think they'll do well as a result. Good for you.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:54 PM

5,965 posts, read 6,405,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy491 View Post
I would recommend a happy medium. I would major in something practical and minor in something fun. that way you can try to make a go of the fun career, but have your major to fall back on.
My college is SERIOUS stuff, things I have to fall back on.
My Paramedic and the POST is what I am going for with my career, which is the REALLY fun stuff.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Not my kid since he is only 4, but I am going back to school soon (Was supposed to be this semester actually but due to State Authorization laws, had to find new school at last minute and unable to find one that meets requirements I need so next semester it is) to switch my career to become a Registered Dietitian. I am interested in the field and don't care about the pay. Working jobs solely for the pay and or benefits hasn't always been rewarding. Right now I am currently in a job that I love, but it doesn't pay the best I have ever received. Money isn't everything
that is cool when you can do what you love and not care about pay. Most people I know who can do that depend on their partners pay or lean on parents to compensate, I hope you are not in that situation.

I have an Aunt that went for it and did what she wanted, got a degree in horticulture, she started her own horticulture buisness with just her and part time help from her son. She is doing what she loves with little pay, but her husband is working a job he isnt crazy about to make the real money, insurance, and support her to do what she loves.

I see your from NE ohio too, enjoying the snow we finnaly got?

Old 01-04-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm still telling them to study what they love.

Recessions are temporary, a natural reoccurring economic cycle. They have their wholes live ahead of them. There's no reason to get stuck in something they hate.

My father refused to pay my sister's tuition because she chose a journalism major. This was the recession during the crash of the steel industry. He said she'd be a starving artist. Her success was astounding. She left the rest of us in the dust. My father changed his tune.
I know I am going to sound cynical, but for every "I did what I loved" success story (for example a liberal arts major who went on to become a movie star) there are 100+ not so success stories (example, liberal arts majors working in a resturant for decades never getting that big break). Its best to major in something practical and maybe minor in something like that or working towards that thing you love to do in your spare time until you can quit your day job.

Last edited by raggy491; 01-04-2012 at 07:44 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I just read the article in the paper this morning. Basically it said arts and architectural degrees were highest unemployment. We used to be able to tell our kids to study what interests them but this recession has turned that on it's head.

this brings back a memory of my wife and I dinning in a really nice resturant, we had a nice chatty waiter who told my wife and I he was in his final year working on susequent bachelors degrees. We were impressed until he said the first was philosopy and the second was cultural arts. When he walked away, my wife and I just looked at each other without saying a word thinking the same thing "big mistake".

couple years later we were there and he was still working the tables.

I was happy the guy majored in what he loved, but last I seen, he wasnt having so much fun .

Old 01-04-2012, 07:57 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,238,968 times
Quote:
If they do not like what they do, they will not do well. My kids are hopefully aware that there is a great deal more to enjoying life than how much money you can make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Money isn't everything
These are my sentiments. Hubby and I just had this conversation with his SIL over Christmas. Hubbys brother and her are very materialistic. When she asked what DS planned for a major, she went on and on about going for a degree with the money. Hubby and I had NO PROBLEM letting her know that "we don't believe that life is a race to the finish line to see who can earn the most money when they die." Our exact words. There is so much more to life.

She's a nurse practitioner and she's not making enough. She only feels that way because they extend themselves to the limit. They own three homes in different states, take four big vacations a year, etc. She's miserable. Nothing is ever enough. Their way of living certainly doesn't look appealing to me.

Quote:
I have been broke and wealthy at various times. I am no more happy when I am wealthy (maybe less stressed though, but not much. When you are broke you worry about not having enough money. When you have money, you worry about losing it, plus a lot of people hate you for being wealthy).
I've been happiest when we've had less money. We actually have more fun.

Quote:
I tell my kids to do what makes them happy. They can live in my basement if they have to. So far they are doing just that. One is a music ed major - a five year program for a job that pays next to nothing and usually starts out part time. One is a psychology major (join the hordes), and intends to get a Phd and do clinical research (which pays little and costs a lot to obtain). IN the next lot, one may be a social worker, school counselr or masseusse. Another wants to be an automotive engineer.The last is considring being a lawyer. He is the only one that I am trying to influence to change his intentions, but we have lots of time for him to change his mind.
Love it!

Quote:
Its best to major in something practical and maybe minor in something like that or working towards that thing you love to do in your spare time until you can quit your day job.
You can save that speech for your own kids. I'd rather mine pursued what they love. There's nothing wrong with a simple lifestyle on a living wage. Often having something to fall back on means never getting around to pursuing a dream.

Last edited by Hopes; 01-04-2012 at 08:06 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 07:57 PM

5,965 posts, read 6,405,770 times
Quote:
that is cool when you can do what you love and not care about pay. Most people I know who can do that depend on their partners pay or lean on parents to compensate, I hope you are not in that situation.

I have an Aunt that went for it and did what she wanted, got a degree in horticulture, she started her own horticulture buisness with just her and part time help from her son. She is doing what she loves with little pay, but her husband is working a job he isnt crazy about to make the real money, insurance, and support her to do what she loves.

I see your from NE ohio too, enjoying the snow we finnaly got?
I can't do that. I have to be able to afford to live a lifestyle I like or I will find a new job.
I am glad my career will provide ME enough to be happy to live on. I have no one else I share my money with and I can afford to live how I want now. I am glad my career field (even my job now) pay the way they do.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:04 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,238,968 times
Quote:
This is the most insulting thing you could say to NEOhioBound or anyone.

Depend on their partners? OMGoodness. Marriage is about being a team. If you can't depend on your partner, you can't depend on anyone. Every SAH parent depends on a partner. There's nothing terrible about that. I was darn glad I was in "that situation" of "depending on my partner" and got to stay home with my children for seven years.

It sounds like you're jealous of people who get to enjoy their lives.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is the most insulting thing you could say to NEOhioBound or anyone.

Depend on their partners? OMGoodness. Marriage is about being a team. If you can't depend on your partner, you can't depend on anyone. Every SAH parent depends on a partner. There's nothing terrible about that. I was darn glad I was in "that situation" of "depending on my partner" and got to stay home with my children for seven years.

It sounds like you're jealous of people who get to enjoy their lives.
Sorry, I guess I did stir the pot, was not intentional. I am going to pry my foot from mouth now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or