Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 06:19 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,941,482 times

Advertisements

realistic information about job prospects and college major. The old advice to study what you love no longer holds true.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/new-study-shows-architecture-arts-degrees-yield-hi (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 06:35 AM

22,435 posts, read 47,421,402 times
Clicking the link got me...

"We're unable to locate the page you requested.

The page may have moved or may no longer be available. "

Old 01-04-2012, 06:57 AM

oh, I'm sorry- I just read the article in the paper this morning. Basically it said arts and architectural degrees were highest unemployment while health, education science degrees were lowest. We used to be able to tell our kids to study what interests them but this recession has turned that on it's head.

does this work?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...y.html?hpid=z4

Old 01-04-2012, 07:17 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,193,634 times
Well, those are certainly broad categories. They pretty much cover every single possible occupation and the numbers pretty much line up with national figures for unemployment at all levels.

It's funny because on the list for majors with "high" unemployment rates they say computers and math, then go to the list of the fastest growing fields and #15 is computer software.... Unfortunately the list of fastest growing careers if full of $20,000/year dead end jobs.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,847,944 times
I'm still telling them to study what they love.

Recessions are temporary, a natural reoccurring economic cycle. They have their wholes live ahead of them. There's no reason to get stuck in something they hate.

My father refused to pay my sister's tuition because she chose a journalism major. This was the recession during the crash of the steel industry. He said she'd be a starving artist. Her success was astounding. She left the rest of us in the dust. My father changed his tune.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,489,616 times
This subject has come up a lot among my friends recently. I don't care what my kids study but I want them to have a plan. Study philosophy and plan to go to law school, study history and plan to be a teacher etc. Don't be a philosophy grad and then assume you're going to get a job in banking. I married a music major who's a successful marketing executive, he had a plan he started at a record label interning and working nights at a studio, after college one of the labels hired him. I was a finance major because I thought it would get me a good job, it did but I was miserable and should have majored in history or english and been a teacher or copywriter. Study what you love but find a way to make it a career and then plan in that direction.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:21 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,898,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
This subject has come up a lot among my friends recently. I don't care what my kids study but I want them to have a plan. Study philosophy and plan to go to law school, study history and plan to be a teacher etc. Don't be a philosophy grad and then assume you're going to get a job in banking. I married a music major who's a successful marketing executive, he had a plan he started at a record label interning and working nights at a studio, after college one of the labels hired him. I was a finance major because I thought it would get me a good job, it did but I was miserable and should have majored in history or english and been a teacher or copywriter. Study what you love but find a way to make it a career and then plan in that direction.
Great advice!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:02 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,861,011 times
College is not vocational training.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:12 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,489,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
College is not vocational training.
I disagree. While some people may have the financial security to study for the love of studying, most people go to college in order to start or improve a career. I think its rather elitist to assume that most college students have the luxury to spend tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars to simply learn for no other reason than interest.

That doesn't mean they can't plan a career around what interest's them. It also doesn't mean that students who attend vocational schools aren't loving what they're learning.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:26 PM

Years ago we had the luxury of going to college to study what we wanted or as my father put it--to get a MRS. It did not cost an arm and a leg and back then a college graduate could make a decent living in just about any field.

But all that has changed. There is no more education centered family than ours but I still say, unless you think you can turn what you love into a successful career, don't waste the space and the money. Who has the time or money to go to college to" find "yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting