U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 07:30 AM

12,421 posts, read 2,789,512 times

Advertisements

Good for her! How could she NOT make that choice?! I hope she knows how many people are in her corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 09:47 AM

1,425 posts, read 3,522,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
This comment annoys the hell out of me. I hope you aren’t close with any of these <25 year olds you know (or think you know) because I’m sure they’d be thrilled to know what you think of them. If someone of any age has a gun next to them, I don’t think they are going to sit there and watch in amusement as someone kills their baby. Sorry, but I don’t think you have a clue about what “young people today” are like. Survival is a basic instinct. So is protecting one's young. This woman and most people probably would have done the same exact thing to save themselves, even if they didn’t have a young child. This is why I can’t understand why people are acting as if she did something extraordinary and calling her a “hero” (although I’m all for her doing what she did). To me, a hero is someone who goes out of their way to save a stranger. A parent saving their own child, IMO, is expected. Who wouldn’t?
I can understand why you would be annoyed by my comment. Many young people would take offence. I base my opinion on some of the people I know and/or students from a nearby college who are overwhelmed with simple car accidents (non injury) or go to pieces if they loose a cellphone. Some of the young parents I have observed are, while not bad parents, are not strong enough to tell a toddler 'no' and stick to it. I apologize for my generalizing my statement. I am of the option that by fixing everything for the younger generations so that everyone is special or blame failures on the teacher/coach/man in the moon many never learn how to deal with adversity or challenging emotions like fear.

BTW, I never meant to imply anyone would "watch in amusement", I was going for most would be emotionally incapable of maintaining calm for the duration this young woman did.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:18 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,226,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post

BTW, I never meant to imply anyone would "watch in amusement", I was going for most would be emotionally incapable of maintaining calm for the duration this young woman did.
Personally, I read this as most people, period, regardless of age, might not be emotionally capable of staying so calm in a similar situation. That's part of why I find her so impressive.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:17 PM

5,190 posts, read 3,786,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post

Survival is a basic instinct. So is protecting one's young. This woman and most people probably would have done the same exact thing to save themselves, even if they didn’t have a young child. This is why I can’t understand why people are acting as if she did something extraordinary and calling her a “hero” (although I’m all for her doing what she did). To me, a hero is someone who goes out of their way to save a stranger. A parent saving their own child, IMO, is expected. Who wouldn’t?
I totally agree with all the above. Sad testimony to the world that we live in when a basic human instinct (a mother protecting her child) is considered heroic.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:17 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,978,939 times
I must be the only one who is slightly annoyed with all this talk about a mother protecting her baby. I don't believe for a minute that the invaders were after the baby. If there were no children in the house, she should have still shot the man to protect herself. By saying she was a mother protecting her baby minimizes the right we have to protect ourselves. Having children isnt' a requirement for the right to protect ourselves.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:05 PM

8,004 posts, read 9,656,439 times
LOL....As I started to read this post, I thought, Whaaaat? ...but then saw where you were going with this. Yes, I agree! Baby or no baby....yeah, they were breaking into her house. Who cares WHY they were breaking in the house. They-just-were! I agree...baby or no baby, she should have shot him anyway. It's her house. If someone is breaking in, you SHOULD be able to do whatever you have to do to stop them. In the grand scheme of things...that's one guy who won't be terrorizing anyone else....ever!

Wouldn't it be nice if we could say, "That'll be a lesson for other dirtbags out there. Maybe they'll think twice before breaking into someone's house." However, that would be giving people like that credit for actually thinking!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:38 AM

11,634 posts, read 17,044,904 times
Thats true. Not to mention its a harder target.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 AM

11,634 posts, read 17,044,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Well I was right about it being an unpopular opinion alright!!

I won't even bother responding to the (offensive) questions asking if I would rather she had died.

One does have to wonder how on earth people in countries that don't allow guns manage to survive at all.

I don't really see how he could have been made angry enough to attack more by a blast to the knee caps from a shotgun (wouldn't he have basically lost his legs?) but what do I know - I'm from a country that doesn't allow guns at all so we're blissfully ignorant of the right to shoot people.

I'll just join the masses - yay, someone died! Rejoice!

I believe you should be able to defend yourself. But personally, I would i would have a hard time living a normal life after I killed someone.
This lady and her baby is safe and I am happy about that. I hope her killing this man wont hunt her because regardless of what you say, killing someone will be with you for a long time, maybe for the rest of your life.
So its is not wonderful, it is not great. its just really sad that it came to this. I pray for her.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 01-13-2012 at 10:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or