Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 08:53 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The story I heard this morning said that they were after her late husband's pain killers.

They were outside her house for the 20 minutes she was on the phone with the dispatcher trying door knobs and trying to find a way in. I'd say she showed remarkable restraint that she didn't shoot at them until they'd actually come inside. (The weapon she had could have blasted a hole through door before she ever saw them.)
LOL.....I don't know about you, Dew, but I just might not have a liveable house, if I had a shotgun and intruders trying to break in. Like you've mentioned, I might be shooting straght through the doors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 10:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
She lives right outside of OKC on the skirts from what I read somewhere else. No reason for that sort of delay near a big city.
The outskirts of a "big" city can be very rural within a 30 minute drive. That's what it's like for my metro area. Within just 30 minutes, you can be in a different county that is extremely rural with sparsely populated farm lands. Those rural areas have totally different local and county governments from the big city nearby. The police for the big city wouldn't be called there. Actually, there are over 10 different police departments between our downtown and the border of the county in all directions whatever route you drive.

Police stay within their jurisdictions. A rural police department might not have much funding due to the poverty. As a result, there might only be one officer working the night shift. Some impoverished areas that can't afford police departments have to rely on the state police, with state police barracks an hour away. Some local governments have agreements with neighboring local governments to provide coverage, some don't.

There's sometimes a push in my region to switch to a county police department. Some want to eliminate the local governments and switch to county system with shared police, county school system, etc. I'm totally against it. I don't want my local services to deline. I'd rather our tax dollars be increased to help provide finding to low income areas for the local government services they need.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:24 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,535 times
She gets my vote for mom of the year. No doubt!!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:25 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Right after I moved into my house, I was home alone with my kids and my birds woke me up at 4am (they startle when they hear unexpected noises in the dark). There were two people trying to get into my house, checking windows, doors, pulling up the doormats, dumping my flowerpots (looking for a key I guess), rattling the doorknob, etc. I got my gun and my phone. I called the sheriff's department and they said they'd send a car out, and hung up on me. I live a mile outside of San Antonio city limits but it takes 20 minutes for the county to respond.

When the officers got there, one of the people was gone and the other one, a female, said that I was her relative who wouldn't let her in. It was kind of obvious that we weren't related. The deputies gave her a ride to a bus stop. They wouldn't look for the man who was with her and seemed irritated that I had called them at all.

Half an hour later, I noticed that my neighbor's dog had not stopped barking at all, so I looked out my patio door, and the man who had been trying to get in was back there, asleep on the grass with his phone plugged into my outlet. I called the sheriff's department again, and 20 minutes later they sent out another deputy. She kicked the guy and woke him up, and took him away (I had to unlock my gate to let them out).

I'm actually glad I didn't have to shoot anyone. I would not have any problem doing so if I had to defend my family, but it feels totally different from aiming at a paper target at the range, actually seeing the person who's trying to get in, and knowing that you'll kill them if they do.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:11 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times
A true American hero.

I agree with a comment I read on another page. She got a low-life criminal off the streets, saved some tax dollars, and protected her family. Where's the downside?

Old 01-05-2012, 03:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I'm watching the story on TV and they are saying the house "is in the middle of nowhere" "very isolated"

Old 01-05-2012, 03:46 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm watching the story on TV and they are saying the house "is in the middle of nowhere" "very isolated"
The house looked like a lower-end manufactured home, I'm surprised it took 20 minutes for the men to break in.

The story I read said she had lost her husband to cancer on Christmas. I really feel for her, that's already a lot to handle without this happening to her as well, and she's so young besides.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:09 AM

934 posts, read 1,938,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The house looked like a lower-end manufactured home, I'm surprised it took 20 minutes for the men to break in.
One account I read said that she had barricaded the door with a sofa.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:40 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Ok, clearly I am going to have a VERY unpopular opinion here, but couldn't she have shot im in the knee caps? Did she have to kill him?

I feel so bad for her with her husband having just died, but a good shot to the knees would have stopped him just as effectively as a fatal one did surely?

I guess this is my European upbringing talking, but I just can't get excited about shooting someone to death under these circumstances, 'rights' or no rights.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:08 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Ok, clearly I am going to have a VERY unpopular opinion here, but couldn't she have shot im in the knee caps? Did she have to kill him?

I feel so bad for her with her husband having just died, but a good shot to the knees would have stopped him just as effectively as a fatal one did surely?

I guess this is my European upbringing talking, but I just can't get excited about shooting someone to death under these circumstances, 'rights' or no rights.
I doubt if you were in the same situation that you'd be concerned about "shooting in the knee caps" to save the person. You are alone, with a 3 month old baby with people trying to break in and possibly kill you. I dont think you'd hesitate in that kind of situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting