Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:03 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,025,446 times

Advertisements

I have seen so many posts here about people with elementary-school aged kids
who have been dealing with some kind of harassment via e-mail, Facebook, etc.
...Why do these kids have access to these things?

Maybe my family is old-school, but our kids do not and will not have e-mail accounts for a very long time.
They also don't have Facebook accounts or cell phones.

They only use our computer for the 2 school-based programs their homework requires.
The rest of the time they are at sports practice, music practice, reading, or playing outside.
We don't even do video games... no Wii, no DS, nothing. TV, okay but nothing violent or sexually suggestive.
They do very well in school and have no attention problems or "syndromes."
(However, the tween 'tude is certainly making an appearance as time goes on! )

Not trying to put anyone on the defensive, but I really am wondering why parents introduce this world so early
and also wondering if anyone else shares my view. Thanks.

Last edited by Alltheusernamesaretaken; 01-05-2012 at 07:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 07:18 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,625,050 times
Both my daughters got Facebook accounts when they were of age--I think it was 13. They were in eighth grade at the time. My oldest has had email for years now. I can't remember how long, but her age was probably in the single digits. The youngest is seven and does not have a Facebook account or email. He does play an online game, Lego Universe, where he can interact with live people. That game is strictly monitored, and we kept an eye on him. He lost interest. He likes video games, but we do not allow him to play XBox Live with anyone outside his family. My oldest has several XBox Live friends and a cell phone.

My outlook is that the world is changing. My kids are going to have to be a part of it at some point, and that includes using the technology that is available. I am also going to have to be a part of it, so that I can continue to watch over her. There are risks, I know, but I am not convinced that sheltering my kids or myself is the best solution.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:34 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,859,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post

Maybe my family is old-school, but our kids do not and will not have e-mail accounts for a very long time.

They only use our computer for the 2 school-based programs their homework requires.
The rest of the time they are at sports practice, music practice, reading, or playing outside.
We don't even do video games... no Wii, no DS, nothing. TV, okay but nothing violent or sexually suggestive.

Not trying to put anyone on the defensive, but I really am wondering why parents introduce this world so early
What is so terrible about the internet? There are dangers out there, true but like anything else those dangers can be managed.

Our family is scattered all over the country. However, we use the internet to have a family fantasty football league. My niece, nephews, kids all play. It is a lot of fun and the kids keep in touch even though they live in three different states in different time zones.

What is wrong with that?

Many kids have school assignments where they use the internet starting in elementary school.

There are also games online that are appropriate for younger kids. My kids used to like the NickJr. site a lot.

Kids who like sports can follow their favorite players online.

There are so many appropriate uses of technology for kids that I wonder why people continue to obsess over the inappropriate ones. Why not just supervise your own kids and what they do, whether online or irl?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:21 AM

2,730 posts, read 6,105,349 times
What I don't understand is why seemingly intelligent parents still allow computers in their young children's rooms or other unmonitored internet access. Despite all of the warnings against this, they still allow it. Unbelievable.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:39 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,052,780 times
I don't see a problem with kids using these technologies, as long as they are taught how to use them appropriately. An elementary school-aged child should be monitored when using the internet. Don't let them have a computer in their room, instead have a computer in the main living space where others can see what's going on. Install software to block certain sites and set time limits (of course, the kids are probably smart enough to circumvent these kinds of software programs).

Old 01-05-2012, 08:42 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,897,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My outlook is that the world is changing. My kids are going to have to be a part of it at some point, and that includes using the technology that is available. I am also going to have to be a part of it, so that I can continue to watch over her. There are risks, I know, but I am not convinced that sheltering my kids or myself is the best solution.
I agree with this. Our 3.5 year old is computer literate, so are his peers. My thought on the matter is that technology should be a tool (not a replacement for other things) and the same rules that apply IRL apply to the use of technology.

We have guidelines for limiting screen time, what is age appropriate, etc. We're not going to let him veg in front of computer screen any more than we would allow him to veg in front of the TV. He knows how to call his grandparents who live out-of-state on FaceTime when he wants to share something with them; we have a family email address so the grandparents can send him messages or he can share his artwork with them. There are computers in his preschool classroom with learning software. When he is old enough to use social media (according to the TOS) we will deal with those challenges as well.

I plan to continue age-appropriate supervision with technology, as with other aspects of his life, as he grows up, because like it or not, this generation of kids will be expected to function in a very tech-driven world.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:04 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,536,888 times
First question, how old are your children?

Quote:
Just because your children do not have access to Facebook, e-mail etc., does not mean they cannot be the target of online harassment or bullying, it just means they would not be aware of it themselves. Just a thought.

Quote:
That's a decision for each family to make for themselves. I know many children who have cell phones because they need them for a number of reasons. As children get older and activities get longer, the need for a cell phone increases. Also many sport and recreation activities use Facebook or email to co-ordinate activities.

Quote:
What a shame, they are missing out on many great technological advances. Many families practice moderation, the kids play sport, participate in extracurricular activities, and play video games and watch television.

Quote:
Oh the times, they are a-changin'.....

Old 01-05-2012, 09:05 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,536,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
What I don't understand is why seemingly intelligent parents still allow computers in their young children's rooms or other unmonitored internet access. Despite all of the warnings against this, they still allow it. Unbelievable.
You do hear this, but honestly I don't see it. In our peers, I don't know of any parents who do not supervise their children online.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,522,970 times
My daughter who is 9 has had a cell phone since 1st grade because we move around a lot and I wanted to make sure she had a way to get in contact with us just in case. When we moved from Utah, she was going to be taking the bus for the first time and I was scared that she may get off at the wrong bus stop and have no way to get in touch with me. She also uses the internet and has an e-mail account for this same reason. She can keep in touch with family.

I see nothing wrong with it as long as the parent supervises. She is never on the internet in another room.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:16 AM

2,730 posts, read 6,105,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You do hear this, but honestly I don't see it. In our peers, I don't know of any parents who do not supervise their children online.
I do - with friends and my own family. And they are really people who you would swear would know better. Kids could not be on facebook harassing each other if anyone was actually supervising them. Parents just think their kids know better - THEY DON'T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting