U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2012, 07:11 AM
 
Location: IL
12,950 posts, read 10,747,084 times
Reputation: 14508

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
I'm a laid back allergy mom. Our 3 year old has cashew and pistachio allergies. I do let him eat other tree nuts since the blood tests show no allergies to the others (even though the doc said to avoid all tree nuts - but who wants to miss out on pecan pie!) We have an epipen and it's always close by. When he goes to school, one will go with him. If the school won't take it, we'll go to another school.
That is a VERY dangerous practice. The proteins, or the allergens, found in tree nuts are all very similar, and it is VERY common to develop an allergy to other tree nuts later. Do some research, and in the interests of your sons life, stop doing this.

I consider myself a fairly laid back allergy mom too, but what you are doing is not laid back, it is dangerous.

This very thing happened to my son. He was initially diagnosed as only allergic to walnuts and pecans. Following the allergist recommendation we did not give him other nuts, but his grandmother gave him a cashew, and he had an anaphylactic reaction.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 01-16-2012 at 08:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2012, 07:56 AM
 
32,537 posts, read 26,399,651 times
Reputation: 32058
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
(even though the doc said to avoid all tree nuts - but who wants to miss out on pecan pie!)
I do not understand this attitude at all.

If he's allergic you DON'T ALLOW HIM TO HAVE IT. Period. I've had severe allergies my whole life and right now I'm very thankful my parents taught me discipline in what I could and could not do. The loved me enough to know that, yeah, sometimes you miss out on pie. Big whoop. Pecan pie is not worth endangering your child's live over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 08:52 AM
 
Location: here
23,546 posts, read 25,911,818 times
Reputation: 27801
I can't imagine being "laid back" about something that has the potential to KILL your child!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 09:32 AM
 
Location: E ND & NW MN
4,697 posts, read 8,454,959 times
Reputation: 3362
I agree with the other posters in general....our son is 7 and we keep him away from any food that contain even very small traces of his allergens (egg, milk, peanuts, nuts) just in case. Not worth the potential trauma.

I would encourage the parent to get additional testing done to clarify his allergens. Your doctor can send blood work to this company which will do a very detailed analysis of all proteins in the foods.

Here is a link which describes it...

Phadia announces first-ever commercial availability of peanut allergen component tests - Phadia - Setting the Standard - Phadia.com


I think the reason why the doctor said to avoid all tree nuts is because the nature of what someone is allergic too can vary or change from time to time. I wouldnt rely on a test more than 1 yr old as things can change.

Last edited by Kamsack; 01-16-2012 at 09:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
35,958 posts, read 37,437,769 times
Reputation: 45659
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
I'm a laid back allergy mom. Our 3 year old has cashew and pistachio allergies. I do let him eat other tree nuts since the blood tests show no allergies to the others (even though the doc said to avoid all tree nuts - but who wants to miss out on pecan pie!) We have an epipen and it's always close by. When he goes to school, one will go with him. If the school won't take it, we'll go to another school.
Unbelievable attitude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2012, 11:09 AM
 
10,851 posts, read 8,148,926 times
Reputation: 13741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That is a VERY dangerous practice. The proteins, or the allergens, found in tree nuts are all very similar, and it is VERY common to develop an allergy to other tree nuts later. Do some research, and in the interests of your sons life, stop doing this.

I consider myself a fairly laid back allergy mom too, but what you are doing is not laid back, it is dangerous.

This very thing happened to my son. He was initially diagnosed as only allergic to walnuts and pecans. Following the allergist recommendation we did not give him other nuts, but his grandmother gave him a cashew, and he had an anaphylactic reaction.
Not only is that dangerous, one can imagine it leading the child to be incautious in general. Oh my allergies aren't that big of a deal, I will just eat this peanut (or whatever allergen) this once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2012, 01:43 PM
 
14,724 posts, read 31,729,719 times
Reputation: 14094
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Not only is that dangerous, one can imagine it leading the child to be incautious in general. Oh my allergies aren't that big of a deal, I will just eat this peanut (or whatever allergen) this once.
...not to mention it's a little much to assume a three year old could tell the difference between various kinds of nuts. How many of us stare into the tin of mixed nuts wondering exactly what it is we're eating?

To most kids a nut is a nut and that hanful he grabs may or may not contain one that could kill him. While I don't agree with the extreme side of banning peanuts from being in a 20 mile radius of a school complete with having "nut dogs" sweep the area, I don't understand such a casual and laissez-faire attitude to it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 04:50 PM
 
Location: here
23,546 posts, read 25,911,818 times
Reputation: 27801
Deaths Show Schools Need Power of the EpiPen: Margaret Carlson - Bloomberg

I apologize if this was already posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 09:43 AM
 
1 posts, read 671 times
Reputation: 10
You can perform life-saving measures w/o being sued -- it's called the Good Samaritan law. Both of my daughters are severely nut allergic, and they, too, have Epipens everywhere: with their school nurse, with their teachers, with their babysitter, etc. Our insurance has never given us a problem about paying for the EpiPens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 12:01 PM
 
Location: IL
12,950 posts, read 10,747,084 times
Reputation: 14508
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie brier View Post
You can perform life-saving measures w/o being sued -- it's called the Good Samaritan law.
Good Samaritan laws only cover health personnel responding to emergencies outside of their work place, and only applies to services they are not being paid for. Good Samaritan laws do not cover school nurses applying emergency care on school property where they are employed.

Right or wrong, that's the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top