U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 01:57 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,670,217 times

Advertisements

As someone else pointed out above, we are talking about two different things. Being excited to open presents on Christmas morning to the point of pestering mom and dad to get moving is not being greedy and selfish. If anything I would kind of think that the parent who is telling their kids to sit tight while they "assemble" themselves and have a cup of coffee is the one being a little selfish.

In my house, no one goes downstairs until we are all ready to head down. We open presents, then we have breakfast, then we relax and play. It's all about setting the standard for how it works in your own house and everyone is going to be a little different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 02:00 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,279,151 times
One thing we do is allow them to open stockings as soon as they get up. That way they have something to play with while pee and pour the first cup.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:01 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,471,746 times
Yep. Excited and selfish are two different things.

When I was a kid my family opened presents on Christmas Eve because my MOTHER was too excited to wait for Christmas morning.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 01-06-2012 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Whoops.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:11 PM

356 posts, read 759,000 times
Santa doesn't wrap in our house, so the kids can look at and play with gifts from Santa as soon as they get up. They come into our room before going downstairs almost daily anyway, but it would be ok if they didn't. I usually wake up at about the same time as my son (4) and almost always before my daughter (8). They do not have to wait for both to be awake before going downstairs. I may even like it better that I get to see them react separately.

I'm a coffee drinker but I never have a problem with delaying that first cup to share in their Christmas surprise.

The presents under the tree are wrapped and cannot be opened until everyone is ready. I think this year we did it after breakfast.

I find this a good balance for my family.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:12 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,308,123 times
When I was growing up - there wasnt much money. We were alllowed to open our stocking before mom and dad came down. Coffee, juice, coffee cake (a luxury for us!) were set out for snacking. Presents were opened one by one and acknowledged. (None of this everyone rips into everything all at once business)

Old 01-06-2012, 02:14 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,670,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
One thing we do is allow them to open stockings as soon as they get up. That way they have something to play with while pee and pour the first cup.
My coffee comment wasn't directed at you, we posted at the same time, didn't want you to think I was "jabbing" you.

I also love my coffee and we set the pot up at night so it's ready to go. I don't make the kids wait for me to drink it before they open their presents, but I definitely take a quick break to grab a cup when I hear the pot beep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yep. Excited and selfish are two different things.

When I was a kid my family opened presents on Christmas Eve because my MOTHER was too excited to wait for Christmas morning.
That's my wife and her mom. She would let the kids tear into everything on Christmas Eve if Santa wasn't still visiting our house.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:15 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,556,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blublu View Post
I know this is a little late, but I haven't had time to use the internet since Christmas. This isn't exactly a parenting question, but I thought this was probably the most suitable forum for this question.

I would like to think that most people would find it unacceptable for children to act greedy and selfish on Christmas morning. I can understand how many kids would be excited to open their presents, but I'd like to think that parents would teach their kids to be patient. When I was a child, I was excited to open my presents, but I was always able to contain that excitement until it was time to open the presents. I never pestered my parents to open the presents RIGHT NOW NOW NOW.

What are your thoughts on children who won't even give you 20 minutes Christmas morning to "wake-up" after you've just woken up? Do you just open the presents as soon as you get out of bed or do you like to have 20 minutes or so to "wake-up" and maybe grab a cup or two of coffee? Of course, this question applies only to those who open presents before breakfast.

What if it wasn't kids who were behaving greedily on Christmas morning? What if your adult relatives were very insistent on opening presents as soon as you walked out of the bedroom, before you even had a chance to use the bathroom? What if they wouldn't allow you to have 10-20 minutes to "wake-up" and grab a cup of coffee before they started opening presents (they'll open presents with or without you)? Would this bother you? If so, why?
I wouldn't call that greedy and selfish, I'd call it being excited for Christmas morning.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:44 PM

24,484 posts, read 28,868,597 times
Guests don't get to determine how Christmas morning goes. No one insists on the order things go in my house. They can make suggestions, if they want...

We do stockings and Santa gifts first thing. That is enough to keep them occupied while we make breakfast. After breakfast, we open everything else. there were no complaints this year among the 10 people here. There have been years where things didn't go so smoothly though.

Our biggest issue now is that our kids still believe in Santa and my sister has decided she isn't going to let my niece believe.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:45 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,839,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blublu View Post
I know this is a little late, but I haven't had time to use the internet since Christmas. This isn't exactly a parenting question, but I thought this was probably the most suitable forum for this question.

I would like to think that most people would find it unacceptable for children to act greedy and selfish on Christmas morning. I can understand how many kids would be excited to open their presents, but I'd like to think that parents would teach their kids to be patient. When I was a child, I was excited to open my presents, but I was always able to contain that excitement until it was time to open the presents. I never pestered my parents to open the presents RIGHT NOW NOW NOW.

What are your thoughts on children who won't even give you 20 minutes Christmas morning to "wake-up" after you've just woken up? Do you just open the presents as soon as you get out of bed or do you like to have 20 minutes or so to "wake-up" and maybe grab a cup or two of coffee? Of course, this question applies only to those who open presents before breakfast.

What if it wasn't kids who were behaving greedily on Christmas morning? What if your adult relatives were very insistent on opening presents as soon as you walked out of the bedroom, before you even had a chance to use the bathroom? What if they wouldn't allow you to have 10-20 minutes to "wake-up" and grab a cup of coffee before they started opening presents (they'll open presents with or without you)? Would this bother you? If so, why?
Yes, kids can be very exuberant on Christmas morning. All that energy can be a bit much to wake up to, especially before you've had your coffee. But please be patient. They are little for such a very short time.

Before long they'll be late sleeping teenagers. You might even find yourself waiting for them to get up on Christmas morning!

Last edited by springfieldva; 01-06-2012 at 03:09 PM..

Old 01-06-2012, 06:50 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,564,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
When I was growing up - there wasnt much money. We were alllowed to open our stocking before mom and dad came down. Coffee, juice, coffee cake (a luxury for us!) were set out for snacking. Presents were opened one by one and acknowledged. (None of this everyone rips into everything all at once business)

We did this too (and for the same reason). Each gift had to be opened separately and admired. We also did the waiting at the top of the stairs thing until we were 'unleashed'. It was like kiddy torture.

I really didn't like the policy of opening each gift separately. I was very shy, and it put me on display. I also remember feeling very irritated by the "oh, what did you get?!" comments...I always wanted to say 'you bought and wrapped it, you KNOW what is it!"

I just don't like pageant maneuvers I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or