Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'd say that Christmas morning is only cute and magical with the real little ones (5 and under). For any child older than that, it's just plain greed.
No it's not. It's 8 or 9 year olds remembering the magical Christmas morning and still wanting the magic.

The only thing sad is that as they become older, magic begins to fade. It's not their fault -- they're just getting older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I think we'll be staying home until the kids outgrow Santa. After that we'll travel again. It is hard to be in someone else's house on Christmas morning.
We go home every Christmas, and no one will come to us because they want their kids to be in their own home for Christmas... Hmmm...
The thought process is pretty much " you live away, you should be the one to travel".

We have said we were going to do an every other year thing, but I honestly don't know how much I would enjoy Christmas away from our extended family. It does bother me that they won't come here, but it is easier to just be the ones to do it and not make it a big deal... Christmas morning right now for our girls, is waking up at Grandma & Grandpa's.
The hardest part is that my husbands' family
Lives an hour from mine, so we already drive almost 7 hours to get to my parents, we then have to drive an hour on Christmas day to see the other side of the family. That is a bit irritating.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:37 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
We go home every Christmas, and no one will come to us because they want their kids to be in their own home for Christmas... Hmmm...
The thought process is pretty much " you live away, you should be the one to travel".

We have said we were going to do an every other year thing, but I honestly don't know how much I would enjoy Christmas away from our extended family. It does bother me that they won't come here, but it is easier to just be the ones to do it and not make it a big deal... Christmas morning right now for our girls, is waking up at Grandma & Grandpa's.
The hardest part is that my husbands' family
Lives an hour from mine, so we already drive almost 7 hours to get to my parents, we then have to drive an hour on Christmas day to see the other side of the family. That is a bit irritating.
I'm with you! I had a hard time the first time we did Christmas away from family. We are also the ones who left, so we felt like we had to go home for the first couple years. and the in-laws and my parents live an hour apart, so 2 days of driving to get there, then an hour drive on Christmas eve. then 2 days of driving to get home.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:23 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
For one they already have to wait a whole year. It gets pretty tough for kids when Christmas is 2 months, 1 month, 3 weeks, 20 days, 19 days, 18 days, 17 days, etc away.

The excitement keeps building, they see the Christmas displays in the stores, it's all over telvision.

I don't think it's exactly greediness, it's just all the excitement and they just can't wait any more.
Hmm, so imagine how tough it is for those kids who are subjected to all that Christmas hooplah and know that there's a chance they won't get much of anything because mom and/or dad have to make sure there's food on the table.

I'm not trying to preach here, but when you consider the less fortunate, I would hardly consider having to wait a few minutes to unwrap gifts they don't need as "tough".

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No it's not. It's 8 or 9 year olds remembering the magical Christmas morning and still wanting the magic.

The only thing sad is that as they become older, magic begins to fade. It's not their fault -- they're just getting older.
It's just my opinion. It's fun seeing small children's eyes light up, but once they get older some of them start acting like brats on Christmas. Not cute anymore.

Last edited by Nairobi; 01-07-2012 at 12:32 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 12:48 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
Hmm, so imagine how tough it is for those kids who are subjected to all that Christmas hooplah and know that there's a chance they won't get much of anything because mom and/or dad have to make sure there's food on the table.

I'm not trying to preach here, but when you consider the less fortunate, I would hardly consider having to wait a few minutes to unwrap gifts they don't need as "tough".

It's just my opinion. It's fun seeing small children's eyes light up, but once they get older some of them start acting like brats on Christmas. Not cute anymore.
Will making them wait make gifts appear for those fortunate?

If you want your kids to be grateful what they have, you need to be getting them involved in volunteering and charity at a young age- and not just maybe visiting a soup kitchen once a year or mentioning others less fortunate to make them calm down on Christmas.

I'm not disagreeing that kids can act like brats or be ungrateful for gifts. At 66 my mother is terribly ungrateful for gifts and you can NEVER get her the right thing. AND she grew up with very little, so it isn't always a symptom of excess.

I just disagree that the way to change this behavior is by dangling excitement in front of them and then labeling it greedy when they get excited.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Will making them wait make gifts appear for those fortunate?

If you want your kids to be grateful what they have, you need to be getting them involved in volunteering and charity at a young age- and not just maybe visiting a soup kitchen once a year or mentioning others less fortunate to make them calm down on Christmas.

I'm not disagreeing that kids can act like brats or be ungrateful for gifts. At 66 my mother is terribly ungrateful for gifts and you can NEVER get her the right thing. AND she grew up with very little, so it isn't always a symptom of excess.

I just disagree that the way to change this behavior is by dangling excitement in front of them and then labeling it greedy when they get excited.
Where did I say that anyone should do that? I was just commenting on those posts suggesting that having to wait to open presents on Xmas day was some sort of hardship.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:56 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Where did I say that anyone should do that? I was just commenting on those posts suggesting that having to wait to open presents on Xmas day was some sort of hardship.
Who pissed in your mistletoe?

I STILL get excited.
I had to work christmas eve and christmas day, 12 hours each day, 7am to 7pm.
7pm hit christmas day and I literally half jogged to my car (it was also cold) and then hauled ass home because the suspense was killing me.

Just the thrill of waking up christmas morning and basically tossing yourself down the stairs and everyone opening their things is a lot of fun.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Who pissed in your mistletoe?

I STILL get excited.
I had to work christmas eve and christmas day, 12 hours each day, 7am to 7pm.
7pm hit christmas day and I literally half jogged to my car (it was also cold) and then hauled ass home because the suspense was killing me.

Just the thrill of waking up christmas morning and basically tossing yourself down the stairs and everyone opening their things is a lot of fun.
No one said it wasn't fun.

And how exactly does one **** in mistletoe? That doesn't really make any sense.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
And how exactly does one **** in mistletoe? That doesn't really make any sense.
It wouldn't make sense for people from the bottom of the map. Gravity and all.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:58 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It wouldn't make sense for people from the bottom of the map. Gravity and all.
I can make anything possible.
Give me a glass of water and like a clump of mistletoe....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting