U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:34 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,237,838 times

Advertisements

Lots of ideas! I love this topic.

• Steel cut oats in the crock pot overnight. Put out toppings for people to choose; raisins, brown sugar, maple syrup, coconut... whatever people like.
  • Freezer cooking is great for this; pumpkin pancakes, banana muffins, zucchini bread, egg sandwiches... Take one out of the freezer and toast, microwave or bake.
  • Boiled eggs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
LOL!

My son didn't have a PopTart until he was 14 and at camp.
Nasty things...
You can make them yourself if you have any interest.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post

I do try to make up for it on Saturdays, though.
When we cook on Saturdays, we double or triple up. If we make bacon and eggs, we double and form the uneaten into sandwiches or wraps. If we make pancakes, we triple and flash freeze. Same with french toast.

If you have kids that are anti veggie, these present excellent opportunities for sneaking veggies into them. Baked breakfast goods hide veggies very well.

Amazon.com: Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food (9780061767937): Jessica Seinfeld: Books

Old 01-09-2012, 09:06 AM

5,945 posts, read 12,728,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So did I!

I pushed the knob thingy on the toaster all the way down so their Pop Tarts wouldn't be cold.
Hee hee! Funny. I'm a SAHM so I like to cook a hot breakfast for my family, too. It's not so much ME not having the time as it is trying to squeeze a good breakfast in between their getting ready to head out the door and the actual heading out the door that I contend with.

I used to get up early and make a full spread, but found that much of the food went to waste. They just don't seem very hungry first thing in the morning.

This morning we did congee. I start it the night before (I cook it in the slow cooker) and it's done by 6am. They have a bowl of it before they go to meet the bus or leave for work. It's nourishing and comforting.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:14 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,138,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Hee hee! Funny. I'm a SAHM so I like to cook a hot breakfast for my family, too. It's not so much ME not having the time as it is trying to squeeze a good breakfast in between their getting ready to head out the door and the actual heading out the door that I contend with.

I used to get up early and make a full spread, but found that much of the food went to waste. They just don't seem very hungry first thing in the morning.

This morning we did congee. I start it the night before (I cook it in the slow cooker) and it's done by 6am. They have a bowl of it before they go to meet the bus or leave for work. It's nourishing and comforting.
I am in the same boat. My toddler does not do breakfast first thing in the morning especially on days he has preschool. I can put out a bowl iof cereal and he will turn up his nose at it. I can make eggs and bacon and again it won't fly. If he has been up for about two hours then he will eat. Its really weird. His preschool provides a morning snack of cereals, cheese and fruits and it seems he prefers this type of eating because of the timing.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Your children are spoiled!

I remember when I was little I had a specific way that I liked the butter melted on toast. It was basically bread and butter.
My favorite breakfast when I was a kid was melted butter, on soft white bread, with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top. But I know what you mean about having a specific way you liked the butter melted onto the toast. I had that, too! I wanted room temperature butter spread on plain white bread, sprinkled with the cinnamon and sugar, then have it toasted in the oven. You could toast it first, then do the butter... it wasn't nearly as good that way.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
But I am having a hard time with frying bacon in the morning. Microwave bacon is such a big mess with multiple paper towel soaks to be changed and in the skillet is a big mess too. I have never baked or broiled bacon in the oven but know I will need something to drain the fat that is for sure.
We have found that lining a baking sheet with parchment paper, and then laying out the slices of bacon on top of the parchment paper, and cooking the bacon at about 375, is the easiest way to make bacon. You can cook a bunch at one time, in about 10 minutes. Once it's done, you just cool the bacon on a paper towels to soak up any grease. I also pat the bacon with paper towels to remove grease as well. When the baking sheet with parchment paper cools, just simply toss the parchment paper with all that grease. The baking sheet is super easy to clean at that point. Depending on the quality of parchment paper we buy and use, sometimes the baking sheet doesn't even have any grease on it at all. It's pretty amazing.

The quality of bacon also matters as well. We buy really good bacon from a local producer who creates a really good product. We met the family at the Farmer's Market. We prefer, also, the thick-sliced bacon. We have found that with the higher quality bacon, there is less grease.

This is one thing my kids will always eat... a bagel sandwich with egg, bacon, cream cheese... If I make a bunch of bacon ahead of time, and put together these bagel sandwiches, they will warm these up and eat them.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:43 AM

758 posts, read 1,595,882 times
The trick I have for baking bacon, is putting it on a rack ( the rack I use for cookies to cool ) and putting the rack on the baking sheet. That way the bacon is not sitting in all the grease while it cooks. It stays flat and turns out very nicely.

We do cold cereal or oatmeal on weekdays but always love the big breakfast on the weekends.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:58 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,378,016 times
Well my daughter isnt a big first thing in the morning eater. So after she wakes up about 6ish we play and have cuddle time then around 8ish she gets breastmilk Same thing for weekends.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:36 AM

3,779 posts, read 7,172,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
. . . I typically can only handle an English muffin or a few pieces of toast. When I get to work half an hour later, I end up RAVENOUSLY hungry- I feel like I could chew my own arm off. If I manage to eat a little bit of scrambled eggs instead, it keeps me fuller much longer. Protein does make a different, especially at breakfast when you're struggling to wake up.
Some of my middle school students had a hard time making it to the first break, when they would grab some chips or candy and an energy drink. Then, after the next two classes, they'd finally get some lunch. Those who ate some actual food at home were better off.

Sometimes I eat sugary cereal as a snack (if I'm out of ice cream). A couple years ago I discovered a variety that actually made me hungrier - I certainly wouldn't give that one to a child for breakfast. Protein is great. I like the pumpkin pie idea, too - lots of fiber, and less sugar than sugary cereals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or