U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 01:28 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,719,242 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd start a thread where we can discuss things our kids want to eat for breakfast. Breakfast in most homes is a rushed affair during the school/work week. And if you're like me, at least lately, you struggle with kids who aren't even hungry - yet you want to send them off to school well-fed.

I put this in parenting instead of food/cooking because I want the focus to be on feeding our children at a particular time of day, rather than sourcing ingredients and how to perfectly prepare them for photo-ops and eventual consumption. I'm not looking for food snobbery here... just shared weekday breakfast experiences with our kids, tips, ideas, and what other families do.

I'll start: Lately my kids have not been hungry at breakfast time during the weekdays... UNLESS I cook their favorites: congee (a Thai-style rice porridge) or pancakes. Unfortunately the congee we must start the night before (and sometimes we don't think to start it... our bad...) and some mornings we don't have time for pancakes...

I honestly think it's not so much that they aren't hungry, but that they have become bored with the usual (hence, this thread for ideas )...

This morning I let them eat cake. Literally. Am I a bad mom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 01:34 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times
Weekday breakfast is hot or cold cereal and fruit for us. That probably isn't much help.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:36 PM

9,002 posts, read 16,123,201 times
Wait.. I have to feed him breakfast also?.... Geez this parenting stuff get bigger and bigger each day.

He eats @ (high) school.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:42 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,498,385 times
With my wife being a SAHM and the two youngest not yet in school it basically comes down to feeding my son and I and getting us out the door. I'm easy, two travel mugs of black coffee. My son, who is a picky eater, tends to be a little tougher.

We are fortunate in that he likes cereal and Special K at that, so a bowl of cereal is usually plenty for him. Sometimes he mixes it up with some toaster waffles. Anything that can be put together and eaten quick seems to work. We generally focus on a simple and quick breakfast and put more thought/time into our lunches and dinners.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:58 PM

3,084 posts, read 6,464,939 times
My 14 yr old has always gone in rounds of eating the same thing for months during the school week. Right now it is frozen pancakes (quick to prepare-and she does it herself). Last round was oatmeal and before that it was Eggo waffles. Occasionally she'll eat toast with Nutella or cereal. She is almost always ready to eat once she gets up and dressed.

My 9 yr old is the one who is not always hungry, but also gets in long spans of eating the same thing and his is also pancakes right now. Some days he eats the whole stack of 3, other times he eats half of one.

Now during the weekend it varies considerably. Sometimes I've cooked a big full breakfast, other times they may eat cereal-hot or cold, pancakes, waffles, french toast, cinnamon toast or plain toast with something else on it.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:02 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,953,202 times
My 5yo eats a waffle with peanut butter practically every morning. My 2yo eats a waffle either with peanut butter or just plain. I have cold cereal daily. Occasionally they want cold cereal too.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:05 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,898,580 times
Depends on the morning... I am at home, so a little easier to make breakfast ( pancakes,eggs,etc).
Some mornings they just want toast with nutella and fruit, other mornings they like hard boiled eggs & bacon, just depends.
They do cereal about 2x a week, always with toast & fruit though.

I have done breakfast burritos, eggs, cheese and sausage in a soft tortilla, they really like that.
Sometimes, during the winter, I will warm milk and out it into bowls and they crush cinnamon Graham's into it.. My grandma use to make it for us when we were little
, my guess is it came from the depression years.

Haggard~ When we were in China ( our girls are adopted), congee was on the table for every meal!
My girls are not a fan now though, they won't eat cream of wheat or Farina either, which I loved as a kid.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:05 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
I cooked a hot breakfast every morning for my kids.
Belgian waffles, pancakes, muffins, etc... not from mixes. Oatmeal, farina, omelets, whatever...

They did not care for cold cereal.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:13 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times
My kids were fans of pumpkin pie, I would buy the big ones at Costco when available. Otherwise, it was usually a PBJ sandwich with juice. Usually on the run.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:21 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,807,408 times
My kids are pokey breakfast eaters during the weekdays. But I do think breakfast important, so I make sure that they get something into their stomachs before they head off to school: Bagels, waffles, cereal, cubes of cheese, fruit, toast.

Some days are better than others, though. One of mine has had popcorn for breakfast. Never cake before but....I suppose that even cake is probably better than nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or