U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 PM

254 posts, read 473,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
But past generations got married WAY younger than today's young people. I'm a boomer and I know people who got married at 19 (eeeeek!!!).
There are many people who get married at 19 or out of high school nowadays, many Americans are included in this as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 11:24 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,116,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
There are many people who get married at 19 or out of high school nowadays, many Americans are included in this as well.
True, but not as many as there used to be. The average age of marriage in the U.S. is something like 27 and rising. Waiting is more and more common.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:58 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,156,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
But past generations got married WAY younger than today's young people. I'm a boomer and I know people who got married at 19 (eeeeek!!!).
Boomers and pre-boomers were really unique in that. If you go further back to 1900, the average age for a marriage was 26 for a man and 23 for a woman. Not too much younger than today.

I've been out of the house since I was 18 but I don't get it when people act like it's some moral failing if people in their 20s and 30s live with their folks. It makes a whole hell of a lot more financial sense. I could have never lived with my parents after 18 because of very strained and unhealthy relationships. But if relationships are solid and productive, and the younger person is contributing in an agreed upon manner, it's really a win-win. All those thousands lining anoynmous landlord's pockets could have gone to pay off my parents' mortgage or create a nest egg.

I think we've been conditioned by the affluent economy of the post-WWI period (when employment was easily available and education and housing were cheap) to think multigenerational households are abnormal when they're really not.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:03 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,156,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
In italy it's common to live with your parents even past marriage until you can buy your own house outright. And who are the travelers?
Travellers are basically gypsies of Irish descent. There are a lot of them in South Carolina. Or at least there used to be back in the 90s.

Irish Travellers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-18-2012, 01:13 AM

16,785 posts, read 19,743,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If everyone is happy, who cares?

I have a brother who lived with dad until he was 30 something and bought a house. Then dad moved in with him until my brother got married. Because of that arrangement, my brother is financially secure. He saved enough money to put 50% down on his house while living with dad. Then dad picked up a couple of bills for him living with him. It worked out very well.
Exactly. And with the economy still very shakey we may see more of this.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:44 AM

254 posts, read 473,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
True, but not as many as there used to be. The average age of marriage in the U.S. is something like 27 and rising. Waiting is more and more common.
It's the same here, people are wanting to build their careers first ( I assume) while others don't mind building their careers while they are married. I'm 27 and half my friends my age are married and have been for a while, the other half are mostly engaged... oh wait they are all engaged wow I never really thought about it before. Anyways the ones that stayed at home until marriage seem like they are better off financially then the ones that didn't.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:40 PM

3 posts, read 2,642 times
Is laying on the couch playing Xbox 12 hours a day working? My girlfriend seems to think her 24 year old career student is doing his best. He just hasn't decided what to do with his life yet. She didn't think my reference to the 40 year old virgin was cute. Although he did support himself, so I guess she was right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or