U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:23 PM

9,056 posts, read 6,732,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Exactly, in an economy where you have the 40 year old with 15 years of industry experience and a degree willing to take the entry level office job, it squeezes out the new college grads that either stay in school or revert to things like retail. That in turn squeezes out the teens that would normally fill those jobs.

A firend of mine manages a Super Wawa (large convenience store/deli that also has a gas station). A few years ago most of his cashiers and gas attendants were in their late teens or very early 20's and either in high school or community college. He only had a handful of unskilled older people.

Now, he has the same amount of older unskilled workers, but the age of everyone else is now in their late 20's to late 30's. He has guys pumping gas that used to write mortgages and people working the cash register with BA's in Business Management. He has plenty of teens apply, but when he has a choice between a 30 year old with no restrictions or scheduling issues and a 17 year old that has restrictions and can only work certain hours and needs certain days off, he's taking the 30 year old everytime.

Wait.... there's a Super WaWa??

Awesome.

(As a somewhat recent transplant to Philly, I absolutely love WaWa. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 06:41 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,816,754 times
I got my first job at 16 and it absolutely hurt my schoolwork. I was also unable to do a lot of the things that 'normal' high schoolers participated in like prom, football games, clubs or extracurricular sports. It was very difficult to get time off at my job since I was a part timer taking small shifts so the full timers could be with their families. So I mainly worked on weekends and evenings. I also had a small dairy to manage so it was tough. I didnt 'learn' anything, it just taught me to be stressed, overworked and I feel I missed a lot of youth milestones that I can't ever get back.

I worked all through college (sometimes 2 or 3 jobs) and it took me 2 extra years to graduate, and because of my jobs I didn't get to participate in fraternity or club meetings pertaining to my major, nor did I get to do any internships which seriously hurt my job prospects. I was either at work, at school, doing homework or sleeping. As a result of that I made almost no friends because I simply did t have time to socialize or join study groups.

If I ever have children, I will try my hardest to let them focus on their studies and not have to get a job (unless they want one) until at least mid way through college.

There are certain experiences I really wish I could have had instead of being an 'adult' at age 16.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:34 PM

1,875 posts, read 3,580,545 times
I don't know. Age 15 or 16. I think summer jobs are really important at some point to gain experience. Not imperative to work during the school year, IMO, although if they wanted to work some so they could pay for gas, clothes, extras, or whatever that's fine. I'd be monitoring the work schedule though. I'd be emphasizing school comes first. I think school IS their primary job at that age - just making good grades, good memories, and doing some extra-curricular.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:57 PM

970 posts, read 1,747,332 times
I don't think there is a set age to start working. If a teen is a good student and has other school activity involvement or volunteer involvement, they shouldn't be required to work. Working to earn money is a good way to learn responsibility and prepare someone for the real world, but it isn't the right solution for everyone. Some teens do a lot of volunteer work, which may not bring in a paycheck yet still teaches responsibility.

I had my first "real" job at 19 in college. I volunteered at schools and working on boats from the age of 13.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:04 AM

5,956 posts, read 6,389,608 times
I got my first jobs in NY at 15-almost 17.
Two pizza places then I moved out here.
Once here I worked American Eagle from Oct 2006 to October 2007.
Then took time off to recover my grades from having mono.
Then I worked for the rec center from March 2008-June 2008.
Then worked under the table for this consignment shop and then quickly found out my boss was a tax evading uber religious crazy lady and only worked there from September 2008-November 2008.
Then I just focused on getting into and starting college and getting into the swing of things, I started college in January of 2009.
Then which I consider a job/education/internship/whatever. I was an explorer from March of 2009 to June of 2010.
Then in 2010 I got a job at Bed, Bath and Beyond and worked there from June of 2010 to January of 2011.
Then I was a live in nanny from September of 2010 to January of 2011.
Then worked the gas station job from January 2011-April of 2011.
Then I took mid-april to mid august to get my head straight. I was a mess, I was completely off my game and drove cross country alone to visiting family.
Then I worked Wal-Mart from August of 2011 to December of 2011.
And my current job I am at I have been at since early December.

I don't plan on quitting this job. I don't plan on leaving it anytime soon.
It pays me good money, it is relevant to my career field, I get lots of training and experience through all this.
This has been the job I was looking for all a long. I know job hopping doesn't look well but I am not one to stay in a crappy job that doesn't pay me well and I know I can get something better. Every time I switched jobs was either because I knew I could get a better job or I had other issues in my life that I needed to handle ie. high school grades, clearing my head and straightening myself out.

Hopefully I can get back into college this semester and do some online classes.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:11 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,730,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I got my first jobs in NY at 15-almost 17.
Two pizza places then I moved out here.
Once here I worked American Eagle from Oct 2006 to October 2007.
Then took time off to recover my grades from having mono.
Then I worked for the rec center from March 2008-June 2008.
Then worked under the table for this consignment shop and then quickly found out my boss was a tax evading uber religious crazy lady and only worked there from September 2008-November 2008.
Then I just focused on getting into and starting college and getting into the swing of things, I started college in January of 2009.
Then which I consider a job/education/internship/whatever. I was an explorer from March of 2009 to June of 2010.
Then in 2010 I got a job at Bed, Bath and Beyond and worked there from June of 2010 to January of 2011.
Then I was a live in nanny from September of 2010 to January of 2011.
Then worked the gas station job from January 2011-April of 2011.
Then I took mid-april to mid august to get my head straight. I was a mess, I was completely off my game and drove cross country alone to visiting family.
Then I worked Wal-Mart from August of 2011 to December of 2011.
And my current job I am at I have been at since early December.

I don't plan on quitting this job. I don't plan on leaving it anytime soon.
It pays me good money, it is relevant to my career field, I get lots of training and experience through all this.
This has been the job I was looking for all a long. I know job hopping doesn't look well but I am not one to stay in a crappy job that doesn't pay me well and I know I can get something better. Every time I switched jobs was either because I knew I could get a better job or I had other issues in my life that I needed to handle ie. high school grades, clearing my head and straightening myself out.

Wow! That is a lot of job hopping. How many jobs is that? Twelve? I job hop too though. My first job was at McDonald's from June to September 2009, then I worked for dining services from September 2009 to June 2010, took some summer classes while doing some temp work on the side, started another job at an office from September 2010 to June 2011. Found a new job in August and I have been working that job ever since.

I wish I had started earlier.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:45 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
How many college credits do you have?

(Not how many months you were in college. How many actual credits?)

Old 01-10-2012, 10:54 AM

19,022 posts, read 24,705,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
WTH does that mean? Of course people will make decisions and take action based on the needs and goals of their individual families.
That's understandable and normal. But there's a reason youngsters in "huge" numbers are allegedly "slacking off" in the homes of their parents.

One-off cases can be blamed and castigated, but if the pattern is widespread, it takes prudent minds to identify what is fueling that societal trend. Too much for parents to think of, huh Actually, perhaps so.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,803,744 times
I think job-hopping when in HS or college is acceptable. Job-hopping when neither apply is going to look unappealing to a potential employer.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:14 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,730,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think job-hopping when in HS or college is acceptable. Job-hopping when neither apply is going to look unappealing to a potential employer.
I agree unless the high school or college student job hops because he or she keeps getting fired. But it is a bad habit to get into and I admit this as one who job hops (a new job per school year and a new job every summer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or