Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Regardless of the involvement of the biological parent, the one living in the house deserves to be called more than a step.

There can be two dads, two moms, if those are the titles the children chose for the people in their lives.

It is children who chose the titles. Few bio parents say "call me Mommy, not Mom." (Faye Dunaway is an exception. LOL)

Children fall into their own little loving nicknames for the people they love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 08:57 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Regardless of the involvement of the biological parent, the one living in the house deserves to be called more than a step.

There can be two dads, two moms, etc.
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

While loving step-parents can be an invaluable part of a child's life, biological parents without custody still deserve their place and title.

And our OP wouldn't have even started the thread if he weren't just a little uncomfortable with what his wife (who wears the pants in the family ) has decided her child should call him.

That's likely his conscience talking to him.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 PM

You got me before I was done editing my post. I haven't even read your response yet. I'll wait until you've read my completed post.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
While loving step-parents can be an invaluable part of a child's life, biological parents without custody still deserve their place and title.
It really depends on if the biological parent deserves the title in the eyes of the child. Blood doesn't make family in my world.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:02 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You got me before I was done editing my post. I haven't even read your response yet. I'll wait until you've read my completed post.
okey dokey

I said on my first post on this thread that when a child makes the choice to call a step "mom" or "dad", THAT'S the only time it should be done.

Then our OP fessed up that his stepchild is a baby, so we got off on this tangent about what babies grow up calling their steps.

It's all good between us my friend

Old 01-11-2012, 09:07 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
My step-sons call me by my first name but my 2 grandsons call me grandma. It's fine with me. I left it up to the kids what to call me. Their mom was in the picture so I didn't care if they called me mom. I am glad though my grandsons call me grandma. They are 2 & 3 and calling me by my first name would be weird since I was there from the first day they were born. But I have known even some bio grandmas that want to be called by their first name.

Just leave it up to those involved and how it evolves. I don't like parents telling kids what to call the steps. The kids won't be comfortable with it anyway.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's all good between us my friend

Old 01-11-2012, 09:32 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmac22 View Post
We are of the opinion that it's none of the bio parents business how the household is ran seeing as how it's not their household. We use the title "Dad" for the bio father, and Im called Daddy it's just what my wife started doing, at first was a bit taken back cause I put myself in Bio dad's shoes but quickly realized what happens in my home is none of his business. My wife's position is if I'm going to do most of the rearing and be putting in all the time and bio dad will be basically in her words a 3 day a month "Babysitter" then why shouldn't the baby also address me as Daddy.

I saw her point and the she told Bio dad that he's addressed as "Dad" in our household and Daddy will be reserved as a term of endearment for the one putting in all the time.
So why doesn't she tell her ex he needs to put in more time? My hubby had shared custody and he got the kids in the summer. That is best for the kids anyway, be with both parents as equal as you can make it.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmac22 View Post
No even the law agrees it's been said in courts all across the country to children be lucky you have to Dad's that love you.

And no, no one else has a say in my household but my wife and I, he only has input to his child's everyday issues, not my home life. He can't come in and tell us he prefers his child eat dinner at 6 vs 7 so we must change dinner time. Plus it wasn't my call on the name to be called it was my wifes and since she wears the pants I give way to her, lord she's going to kill me for typing this.

Of course he doesnt have a say in what time to eat dinner uhhh duh. But things like, you and your wife decide its ok for your kids to drink liqour at home and he says no then it should be no. If you and your wife say its ok to date at 14 and Dad says no not until 16 then it should be no. YOU had no part in bringing this child into the world. That child is your wifes and his. Yes you are a big part but not as big as those 2 and the only way you will be is if he should pass away or not be in the childs life. How would your wife feel if this baby was calling Dads new wife Mommy without so much as considering her feelings.

All I can say is my daughter will never refer to anyone as Mom besides me. My bf's mom wants to be called Maw Maw and I said no because its too close to Mama. I am mom mother mama mommy ma and always will be. Sorry for the rant. A nerve was hit.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
All I can say is my daughter will never refer to anyone as Mom besides me. My bf's mom wants to be called Maw Maw and I said no because its too close to Mama. I am mom mother mama mommy ma and always will be. Sorry for the rant. A nerve was hit.
When your child is older, you won't be able to dictate that. There are and have been multiple women whom I've called Mom. That doesn't reduce the love I have for my own mother, but my mother cannot control what I called other people. Out of respect to her, I do not refer to my husband's mother as Mom when I am talking to my mom, but when my mother-in-law calls on the phone I call her Mom just as my husband does. He calls my parents Mom and Dad too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting