U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:58 PM

99 posts, read 56,821 times
Smile When is it ok for Step Parent to be called Mom/Dad?

When if ever is it ok to have a child call step parent Mom/Dad? My wife and I dealt with this and have heard mixed reviews from diff friends and family members as to their take or belief on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 10:00 PM

14,455 posts, read 12,289,722 times
It's ok when it works for the family..

Old 01-09-2012, 10:03 PM

16,051 posts, read 7,960,044 times
My stepmom doesn't want me to call her mom, so I call her by her name, which she's happy for.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:13 PM

5,393 posts, read 4,361,309 times
I've always called my stepdad by his first name, since my dad is my dad.

That said, he is a "father figure" for sure.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:14 PM

629 posts, read 428,761 times
When it feels natural? Might be soon, might be never. Really depends on almost a limitless set of variables honestly. I'm biological, have 2 adopted brothers, and a few foster brothers and sisters growing up. Even have one foster sister, who since went back to her biological Mom, and even into adulthood, called both her foster and biological Mom, Mom. It really depends on everyone involved. Both Moms where cool with it. It worked. Both our families ended up being supportive of each other.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:25 PM

44,370 posts, read 54,887,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmac22 View Post
When if ever is it ok to have a child call step parent Mom/Dad? My wife and I dealt with this and have heard mixed reviews from diff friends and family members as to their take or belief on the matter.
It's only ever ok when the kid decides that's the name they want to call the step-parent by.

A parent or step-parent should NEVER be the one to insist this name be used.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:28 PM

17,829 posts, read 16,902,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's only ever ok when the kid decides that's the name they want to call the step-parent by.

A parent or step-parent should NEVER be the one to insist this name be used.
This. ^^ Exactly this.

Why anyone would consider anything other than that, is beyond me.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:11 AM

519 posts, read 569,442 times
As a stepmother I think it's only if the same sex biological parent is 100% out of the picture.

My stepkids wanted (and did try many times) to call me mum. I was their fulltime stepmum from the ages of 2 and 3.
I never allowed it - it made me feel uncomfortable - they had a 'real' mum that they had contact with. I respected that.

That being said - as soon as their mum repartnered she immediately insisted they call her boyfriend dad.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:38 AM

1,741 posts, read 1,297,887 times
I think that if the for example biological father is nowhere to be seen, and the step-father is taking on the role at it's full length then by all means he is the dad.

But if the child is frequently meeting the biological father I'd say name is more appropriate, to not upset the biological dad. Because let's face it, the end with a woman in hard but bearable, but if you feel like your own children substitute you for someone else, I think that would be a real spirit-killer.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:13 AM

13,546 posts, read 22,452,059 times
When my stepsons were little they always called me by my first name. Now that they are grown, one has started calling me Momma K.

I think Loves Mountain gave you good advice. It isn't anyone's decision but the childs

Post link not copyrighted material
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting