U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 01:09 AM

5,952 posts, read 6,385,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
And don't worry about not finishing a bowl of cereal. Not everyone is a breakfast person. I don't believe in belonging to the clean plate club.
Exactly.
I am not a breakfast person, I can at a few bites of something just to get something in me so my stomach won't start growling before lunch. I NEVER could eat before a sports practice in the AM either. I would puke.

If my kids are anything like me they'll be the same and I won't force them.

As for snacks, I was about 3rd grade or so when I could just go into the kitchen and grab something we had in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:34 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,417,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
My 4yr old picks his own snacks. He loves eating fruit, veggies, cheese, yogurt, crackers, ect. He will occasionally choose a pack of fruit snacks or two oreos, but 90% of the time, he picks the healthy snack on his own.

Your child cant do the grocery shopping so if it isn't in the house, she can't have it. Besides, why let a 7yr old boss you around? Tell her she can have Option A or Option B and if she wants neither, then well, no snack for her
I remember several years ago 20/20 or one of those investigative shows talked about a family where the mom was tired of food battle (which in my opinion should have never started but oh well). They decided to do an experiment where the kids could eat whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted. She took them to the grocery store and let them pick out whatever they wanted. Of course they filled the cart with junk because it was 'fun'. After a week, on the next shopping trip, they put in fruit, veges, and just overall healthy food. The kids (who were around 9, 10, 11 or so) said that they felt bad eating all that junk food. They were tired at school too. They settled into an eating routine that was very healthy too, small meals every few hours. I thought that was a great idea for a family stuck in a situation where the kids want junk food all the time.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:43 AM

36,435 posts, read 41,675,230 times
When my DD started going on overnights with church groups, music competitions, scouts, etc, she was surprised to learn how many of her friends had never eaten vegetables, yogurt, and other healthy food. One kid from an extremely wealthy family told the group he had never even seen cauliflower or broccoli in his life. he was 16.

So if most kids had not been introduced to the right foods as youngsters, how would they even know what to eat?

So yesterday when the kids got home from school I announced 2 changes. First they had permission to eat whatever they wanted as long as it was consumed before 4 and that they never ate out of a package (put it in a bowl so as to be aware of how much they were eating). We will try this for awhile and see what choices they make.

2nd was both girls had to present their homework completed and in their folders and in their backpacks before they could eat dinner.

This was brought about because DH told me Not Responsible Girl's teacher (see a different thread) told him NRG had not turned in her homework 2 days in a row.

When we asked her if she had done it she said yes, had she put it in her folder and backpack she said yes but obviously she hadn't and couldn't give us an answer when we asked about it. Responsible Sister told us she saw it on the desk but was afraid to tell us cause it would get her sister or her in trouble either way- NRG for leaving her homework at home and Sister for doing too much for her sister. Poor kid. She is really conflicted.

We will work this out. It is really difficult when two kids are so different in attitude about school work and compliance in general.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:22 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,239,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
When we asked her if she had done it she said yes, had she put it in her folder and backpack she said yes but obviously she hadn't and couldn't give us an answer when we asked about it
Question why did you ask her a question you knew the answer to? Now you have to deal with a lie AND the homework. While she should not have lied, why set her up?

Old 01-12-2012, 10:29 AM

no you misunderstood.

We asked her if she had done her homework and put it in her folder the night before. We would never set her up like that. That's not how we roll. I guess our mistake is not checking. When we asked her after school why she hadn't put her homework in her folder and backpack, she just didn't have an answer. She had done her homework but left it on the desk.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
no you misunderstood. We asked her if she had done her homework and put it in her folder the night before. We would never set her up like that. That's not how we roll. I guess our mistake is not checking. She had done her homework but left it on the desk. She is a bit of an airhead and we are working with her.
Gotcha.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:43 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,044,931 times
Quote:
2nd was both girls had to present their homework completed and in their folders and in their backpacks before they could eat dinner.
I'm a concerned about not being allowed to eat dinner until homework is done.

Meals shouldn't be a punishment or a reward under any circumstances.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm a concerned about not being allowed to eat dinner until homework is done.

Meals shouldn't be a punishment or a reward under any circumstances.
Huh. Interesting. But is there an idea of business before pleasure? But then food is food, not just pleasure. Interesting.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,737,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Huh. Interesting. But is there an idea of business before pleasure? But then food is food, not just pleasure. Interesting.
When I pick up my son from school after I get off work, it is straight home and then homework first before he can have a snack and then he can play, after we get him out of his school uniform, if he doesn't have karate classes. I guess I am a mean mom...

Old 01-12-2012, 09:16 PM

After supper is busy with cleaning up the kitchen, showers and hair, reading before bedtime which is rather early here so presenting homework before supper means one less thing for them to have to do right before bed. Which might be one reason she left her homework on the desk.

Remember Hopes these girls are only 9 and homework does not take hours like high school. I'm not using food as reward or punishment. It is all a matter of our schedule and timeline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or