U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
When I pick up my son from school after I get off work, it is straight home and then homework first before he can have a snack and then he can play, after we get him out of his school uniform, if he doesn't have karate classes. I guess I am a mean mom...
Since kids come home from school hungry, I'd opt to a snack while doing homework instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Remember Hopes these girls are only 9 and homework does not take hours like high school. I'm not using food as reward or punishment. It is all a matter of our schedule and timeline.
It was the "before they could eat dinner" part that was troublesome.

You made it sound like they didn't get to eat dinner if they didn't get their homework done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 PM

5,706 posts, read 7,891,229 times
When they pay for 'em.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:47 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Since kids come home from school hungry, I'd opt to a snack while doing homework instead.

You made it sound like they didn't get to eat dinner if they didn't get their homework done.
valid point. I could have worded this part better.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:08 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
Thin does not equate to healthy. Just reading a few of the posts, the message seemed to be that parents were thrilled their kids were thin and while overweight is a problem so can being thin. I see kids walk by our house everyday from the middle school. Some are so heavy they basically have to throw 1/2 of their body forward just to move forward and others thin and pale so extremes are bad. We have always had healthy snacks so letting them choose their own was not a problem from the shelves at home.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:42 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,226,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Thin does not equate to healthy. Just reading a few of the posts, the message seemed to be that parents were thrilled their kids were thin and while overweight is a problem so can being thin. I see kids walk by our house everyday from the middle school. Some are so heavy they basically have to throw 1/2 of their body forward just to move forward and others thin and pale so extremes are bad. We have always had healthy snacks so letting them choose their own was not a problem from the shelves at home.
I think this is a great point. Developing healthy eating habits is worth being a goal in and of itself, regardless of body type or weight, IMO.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:05 AM

11,614 posts, read 19,711,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Question why did you ask her a question you knew the answer to? Now you have to deal with a lie AND the homework. While she should not have lied, why set her up?
I am not the OP but I can answer for myself. We ask the question because we want to see what the child will say. Believe it or not kids don't ALWAYS lie.

Given the experience of lying and the consequences my kids usually tell the truth now that they are older. They know better than to dig themselves deeper into the hole that they created.

It is interesting to notice that kids usually rise/fall to your expectations. If you expect them to lie they will. If you expect them to tell the truth they usually (not always) will.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:14 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times
I always had healthy snacks in my home, fresh fruit, veggies, milk, cereal. I hardly ever had junk food, ice cream, cake, even soda. So, my kids were sort of forced to pick a healthy choice, because that is all there was...although, I did sometimes have to "educate" my daughter, that while a PBJ sandwich was "healthy", maybe an apple was a better choice, if she did not want to weigh 300 pounds. It is all about balance.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:19 AM

15,824 posts, read 18,440,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have had friends with anorexic kids and I know alot of that problem has to do with control issues.

I have a 9 year old we are having some food issues with. She has a great metabolism, is even skinny, will eat anything put in front of her and is learning how to cook. She does however dawdle over her meals and if we have the small TV on in the kitchen for breakfast - I like to see the news shows- she ends up watching TV and doesn't eat all her breakfast. Oh I know- turn the TV off you say but I enjoy the news and she must learn everything is not geared towards her.

She seems to be in her own world even with the TV off and I'm saying "Come on, eat".

When they come home from school, I have a healthy snack out for them, baby carrots/celery with dip or dressing, fresh fruit, healthy crackers. Inevitable she wants "Something else" which usually means chips which we rarely have on hand but if she knows they are there, she really wants them.

I don't like harping at kids especially at the table. I don't want to set us up for food conflicts.

Do you let your kids this age just go in and get whatever they want whenever they want? i can't remember having this problem with my other FIVE kids. Maybe we did but I've got selective memory.
Mom.........How will your child learn "everything isn't geared towards Her" if you don't. Turn off the TV, talk w/ her. Make mealtimes family times....
And, choices should start early. Give only couple options, you may have this, or this. Too many choices are overload for little kids. Just like choosing clothes, etc. Give 2 choices...
And talk to your kids, that is the biggest issue for the longest time, communication.....Teach it by doing it......news can wait.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:01 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times
Well, I must say, when I had little kids, no tv during any meals. It sure made everything go much smoother, especially mornings.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:30 AM

2,159 posts, read 3,734,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

They have snack time 45 mins prior to being released from the day (morning snack, lunch, then afternoon snack). He can mange another 15mins after school to do homework first before getting a snack Besides, if he eats first, he completely forgets about his homework and homework in our household comes first. (His father and I both work full time jobs and are in college full time as well)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or