Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Their methods sound dreadful. An eight-month-old baby is expected to have "highchair manners" and use sign language to say "thank you" and "I love you"? And, a few months later, punished for not meeting potty-training demands set by the parent?

Crazypants.
It does sound dreadful but weirdly enough my SIL applies similar methods to her children. I do not know if she has read Ezzo or Babywise but now I wonder???

Her children both knew sign language by 10 months and have highchair manners. You never see them eat messy or throw a cheerio on the floor. Its really eerie. Now my nephew is turning 2 this year and she is on a mission to have him fully potty trained before his birthday which is only several weeks away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 08:27 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I don't know if the issue is the book, or the fact that people will follow any one book or plan so to the letter that their child would suffer. I read Babywise and found it quite helpful. I was having a really hard time with my newborn, felt like he was eating ALL the time. From Babywise I got the idea to try to get on a schedule, and the idea that the baby shouldn't feed himself to sleep. That's it. I started writing down when he ate and for how long and was able to figure out when he should be getting hungry again, and when his agitation probably meant something else. I wouldn't let him cry in hunger because the clock said he wasn't due to eat for 20 more minutes. It was just a guideline, and it helped me a lot.

I don't know anything about the sign language, religious, or other parts of it. I am only familiar with the eat, wake, sleep schedule.

ETA we later found out that our first was not a "normal" baby. He had some issues that made him crankier and harder to soothe than an average baby. His cues were hard to read, and he had some feeding issues (still does) He wasn't your average baby, which I didn't realize at the time. In other words, it was difficult to tell when he was hungry.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 01-13-2012 at 08:39 AM..

Old 01-13-2012, 08:44 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I don't know if the issue is the book, or the fact that people will follow any one book or plan so to the letter that their child would suffer. I read Babywise and found it quite helpful. I was having a really hard time with my newborn, felt like he was eating ALL the time.
That's true. ANY book has to be used as a source of information to which thought and judgment is applied. ANY book is going to have ideas which one is not going to agree with.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:59 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That's true. ANY book has to be used as a source of information to which thought and judgment is applied. ANY book is going to have ideas which one is not going to agree with.
Yes, exactly.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:32 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
We used something like baby sign language with our youngest son and it was pretty cool, actually. He was able to let us know when he was hungry without having to cry or become upset. It was a simple sign and when I saw it we nursed and he was content. He had a sign for being full or done nursing, too. It was really sweet.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:47 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,885 times
It does sound weird. I was wondering as this family I saw who is looking for a Nanny follows that method with their children.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:56 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
It does sound weird. I was wondering as this family I saw who is looking for a Nanny follows that method with their children.
Run.Away.Fast.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:20 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,385 times
I've never heard of this. The little research I have done seems to imply that the parents control everything about the baby. The food the sleep the playtime. Am I right?

Old 01-13-2012, 01:26 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I've never heard of this. The little research I have done seems to imply that the parents control everything about the baby. The food the sleep the playtime. Am I right?
Yes, but to extremes. Some of the google links earlier in the thread refer to parents who adhered to the "program" despite being advised by medical professionals that their babies were malnourished, were failing to thrive, etc. using the rigid schedule required by the Ezzo method.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:40 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Yes, but to extremes. Some of the google links earlier in the thread refer to parents who adhered to the "program" despite being advised by medical professionals that their babies were malnourished, were failing to thrive, etc. using the rigid schedule required by the Ezzo method.

Wow that doesnt seem like it should legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting