U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 05:40 PM

171 posts, read 241,334 times

Advertisements

My daughter is one year old. A few days ago she started to develop flem and her nose was running. Last couple of days its gotten pretty bad. Her appetite is down. Won't eat baby food as much. Too hard to swallow cause flem is getting in the way and she chokes and coughes. Daycare said that she is spitting up to half her bottle while feeding.
We have a cat, but she never seeme to react this badly. Some people are saying its allergies, but her MD says allergies dont' appear in children that young.
Her stool has become somewhat consitipated, but not too bad. Also flem is clear. No temperature. She that her nose is running alot and plenty of coughing. She isn't cranky or grouchy. Same temperment and is taking it in stride.
Some people are suggesting to taking her to the ER. Try using steam. Also from the older crowd. boil cumin in water and give the water.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 05:52 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,303,827 times
My one year old daughter was sick recently ( ear infection, then two weeks later a cold etc ). When she was sick with her cold, she was congested, coughed slightly, although not much...her appetite was down, but not drastically. She didn't have a fever either,and was her happy self most of the time. It was really bad for 3 days when it comes to congestion, although I was running a cold steamer all night long, and that helped her out tremendously after the first day ( of being sick ). I would also give her a long bath before bed, so her nose would get open and I would suck out the boogies...It all went away within 6 days.

Did you take her to her pediatrician? What did he/she say? If you didn't, I would definitely call her doc and explain the situation. Then, her doc will tell you whether to bring her in right away or not, and what to do. Hope your little one gets better, I know how hard it is when they're sick.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:08 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,094,316 times
IMO, she has a cold. Try bathing her with vics nighttime bath, I think that's what it's called. You can find it with the other baby products at the store. You may want to elevate her head for sleeping at night, that will help keep the nasal drip from running into her throat at night time. Take some towels and roll them up and put them under the head of her mattress. Maybe try Little Noses medicine for the congestion/stuffiness.

Also, formula and/or milk will make the flem worse. You may want to cut down on that and maybe give more baby food for the time being.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:12 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,303,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Maybe try Little Noses medicine for the congestion/stuffiness.
Forgot to add, I used that when my daughter had a cold...it helped her out...

Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 PM

10,664 posts, read 7,705,128 times
Could she be teething? My daughter is the same age and she has a runny nose, cough and no fever each time she teethes...

Old 01-13-2012, 07:28 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,495,487 times
Sounds viral (a cold), my daughter had a million of them. Just treat for comfort, keep an eye on it and wait it out.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 PM

84,964 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Get some extra humidity in the house. Give her a nice, steamy bath at night, run a humdifier in her room. Keep an eye on her symptoms; call the dr. if she's not getting better shortly.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:07 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraptree View Post
Some people are saying its allergies, but her MD says allergies dont' appear in children that young.
This in bold is outright untrue, but it's more likely a cold since she has only had the symptoms for two days.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:39 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
To elevate the head of the crib, roll a small blanket or two and put them underneath the crib mattress.

A cool-mist humidifier is the best kind to use in a child's bedroom, but kind of expensive if you just need it for a few days. If you get the cheaper Vicks humidifer, make sure you use distilled water in it (noticed you're in SA too, the calcium in our water clogs up the vicks humidifier pretty fast).

Since she's a year old, why don't you try giving her a cup instead of bottle? She might be able to manage it more easily than the bottle right now, and it's healthier for her teeth to switch. They make spill-proof cups that are pretty good.

About the constipation...less food going in means less stool coming out. Unless it's hard and dry and she's straining to pass it, she's not constipated, even if she's having less bowel movements than usual.

If she starts to have trouble breathing, take her to the doctor. They can give her a breathing treatment in the office that will help a lot. I remember my daughter having to have that a couple of times when she was an infant...she got lots of colds because my husband worked in a hospital. (or I assume that's why, after he changed jobs she only got one or two colds a year until she went to school).

Old 01-14-2012, 09:20 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times
It sounds like she has a cold. I certainly wouldn't take her to the ER where there are all kinds of other germs floating around. It is so sad when they get so congested they can't eat. If you don't have a humidifier, invest in one. We're on our second one, and have used it a lot. How is the air quality where you are? We used to live in a place with really polluted air, and we were all stuffed up all the time. We moved, and haven't been that way since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or