U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 02:31 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,030,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Are you by any chance in Texas? According to this site I found, states have a lot of flexibility in teaching a health curriculum. Texas seems to be the only state that specifically includes childhood obesity in theirs:

Healthy Schools

Your grandson's experiences sound terrible, and in the case of the lunch table, illegal. I certainly don't condone teasing in any way shape or form, but the fact is, kids will do it anyway. A heavy child already knows they don't look like their friends. Sometimes the kindest thing a parent can do is regulate their diets while they are still young.

Yes, I'm in Texas and we may be the only state which mandates it specifically, but related subjects are common just about everywhere. For instance, in Arkansas, they begin measuring BMI and notifying parents in Kindergarten and body awareness is on the state mandated curriculum for that age group. They're not alone.

The point is that there's nothing wrong with teaching good nutrition and nothing wrong with what we used to call PE, but I think there is much wrong with drawing attention to the shape and weight of little bodies which haven't even finished growing yet. I think it's not only inappropriate to cause little kids to judge themselves that way, it's also downright dangerous to their emotional well-being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 02:36 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
www.rachelsimmons.com/2012/01/mom-im-fat-one-mothers-inspired-response-to-her-7-year-old/

A 7 year old worried about being "fat?" Where on earth would such a comment come from?

School. Because of some people's obsession with the "obesity crisis," we're forcing the schools to do things like teach body awareness, measure BMI in kindergarten, incorporate all the stuff from the fitness cult into curriculum's. Kids are being denied soft drinks, sugary snacks, "unhealthy" foods like hamburgers and pizza's, all of which sends a message to children that slim and trim is "good" and overweight is "bad."

In short, by allowing the Nanny-stater's to force our children to fit their mold, we're in the process of creating an entire generation of future anorexic's and bulimic's and teaching them that intolerance toward overweight people is acceptable because,...well....because they're fat. Not only that, but we're allowing them to teach that vanity is OK too.

Do we really want this? Is the "obesity crisis" a good enough excuse to turn your children and grandchildren into adults who may never accept themselves just as they are?
I think you are way off base.
I don't think the problems with body image in children come from adults asking them to develop more healthy eating and exercising habits.
It comes from the media.
If you don't think there is a real problem with obesity in this country, I invite you to meet the 200 pound 10 year olds and the 130 pound 6year olds and the 40 pound 2 year olds I meet every single day. Kids with diabetes and cholesterol problems before their teens.
Using this real medical problem as a soapbox against nanny dems is way off base.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
DD's school just did "health checks" and sent home letters with height, weight, bmi, and a lot of other things. They also had a lot of literature about health. Unfortunately, the way they worded it really pi**ed me off. It sounded like I was being scolded.
People are so effin' sensitive these days they can't listen to the truth, no matter how it's worded or what ootsy-cutesy flowery language it's couched in. And then they wonder why doctors have given up saying, "Hey, let's watch that weight!" Never mind that a great diet and copious exercise is the NUMBER ONE thing you can do to ensure a healthy life.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:46 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,787,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
People are so effin' sensitive these days they can't listen to the truth, no matter how it's worded or what ootsy-cutesy flowery language it's couched in. And then they wonder why doctors have given up saying, "Hey, let's watch that weight!" Never mind that a great diet and copious exercise is the NUMBER ONE thing you can do to ensure a healthy life.
It isn't the school's job to decide who is overweight and who isn't. The schools are there to teach, and yes, that includes having children learn what constitutes a healthy diet. And, the schools should not sabotage health by putting junk food in the cafeterias.

Everything else is between a parent and a pediatrician.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:56 PM

2,820 posts, read 3,062,694 times
Quote:
The problem is that they're ONLY using height and weight to measure a kid being overweight or not. There are so many other factors that need to be looked at to determine whether or not a kid is healthy, and basing it solely off of weight is silly.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
The problem is that they're ONLY using height and weight to measure a kid being overweight or not. There are so many other factors that need to be looked at to determine whether or not a kid is healthy, and basing it solely off of weight is silly.
I can't argue that.
BMI is not a perfect tool by any means.

We had to run timed miles and do push-up/sit-up/pull-up evaluations every few months when I was in middle school.
I'm more inclined to use things like that as fitness indicators.

Of course, that may be impossible, since we're throwing out grades and measuring achievement and/or anything that might make someone feel like they're not as good as someone else.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:15 PM

84,961 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
I think you are way off base.
I don't think the problems with body image in children come from adults asking them to develop more healthy eating and exercising habits.
It comes from the media.
If you don't think there is a real problem with obesity in this country, I invite you to meet the 200 pound 10 year olds and the 130 pound 6year olds and the 40 pound 2 year olds I meet every single day. Kids with diabetes and cholesterol problems before their teens.
Using this real medical problem as a soapbox against nanny dems is way off base.
I would urge you to look at the links that Hopes and I posted about eating disorders. The impetus CAN come from the parents and other important adults.

Now I'm not sure what kind of practice you work in. (I think it's ER, no?) I work in pediatrics, see kids all day long. As I have said previously, we do not have a large number of obese kids. I doubt if we have the percentage that supposedly there are in Colorado. I do know that childhood obesity is more of a problem in low income and minority kids, perhaps that's why. But I really need to ask, do you really see that many obese kids?

Old 01-15-2012, 05:30 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,350,568 times
Quote:
Actually, if you knew me you would know that I am someone who is not easily offended. I always read/hear things and think of all of the ways that someone could have meant for things to come out. I almost always try to interpret things in the nicest possible way and give people the benefit of the doubt. That was why I was so surprised that I was so offended by it.

I agree with you that diet and exercise are very important which is why I am glad that my DD is always outside running around. I think that the fact that she is running around, riding bikes, etc so much is the reason that at her last field day, she won first place in almost every activity. She has a larger body structure than all of the kids in her class, but she is still faster, and more flexible.

I guess what I am trying to say is that just because on kid has a larger body than another kid, that doesn't mean they are in worse shape or aren't as active.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:33 PM

34,538 posts, read 42,708,506 times
I would be alarmed that my daughter, at seven, had any body issues whatsoever, but if she said this to me I would use it as a teachable moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or