U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 02:01 PM

644 posts, read 773,801 times

Advertisements

Yes, I've used the site a few times and had more bad then good experiences. We did find one college age sitter who we used on a weekly basis for about an hour or so for a few months. No complaints.

Then there were the doozies. One who agree to sit on a weekly basis then a week before decided she couldn't be tied down to an on-going commitment and was very shady about it. Not answering calls, saying she didn't receive my texts. I went right on the site and wrote a negative review which showed up on her profile. Another we fired before she started. A total flake who did't remember that the job was going to begin the next day. Left us in a huge lurch, we got stuck using my mother (who I did not want to use) for daily sitting. She then had a heart attack and I had to resign from the full time job I had just accepted after only a few weeks bc we had no backup care. Worked out for the best though, since the job was pretty bad and I wasn't really ready to be away from my oldest DD. I've been home ever since too

A few nutjobs who when I canceled interviews bc I told them we found someone already, started sending me harressing emails on the site telling me that they didn't want the job anyway and my paying rate was too low

And the BEST story of them yet, we interviewed someone who looked very, very familiar. But I couldn't place how I knew her. She came in with an extensivie resume "CLAIMING" she was a nanny for 2 young boys for 10 years. After she left, I looked at her references and there is the name of my old NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR. She was her sister, and that's why she looked familar. I moved from there as a teen and hadn't seen her face to face since I was a kid. So obivously, she didnt recognize me either. This woman was NEVER a nanny. I was actually tempted to call her and tell her who I was, but instead I called care.com and reported her....

So while you can find someone good, I hope you realize that faking references and ENTIRE reusmes, is quite easy I found...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 02:49 PM

619 posts, read 796,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debcan View Post
Hi, do not use Care.com is care about your children's safety. The caregivers are not vetted at all and the backgrounds checks provided are cut rate.com and are mostly incorrect and incomplete. Many parents find themselves with drug addicts or homeless persons. Care.com has a horrible, horrible reputation for being the fast food of care giving and is being sued daily. The BBB covers for them by charging Care.com $500 a year for a membership fee. This allows Care.com to monitor reviews and maintain an false "A" rating. Care.com owns and operated the blogs at the top of the pile when googled and no one is allowed to comment on anything other than how great the company is..or the auto renew billing. Sitejabber, Reviewopedia, and "Complaints board" have real up to date reviews that are accurate. Some blogs that are accurate are waffles at noon, one nanny's experience and Welcome to the dollhouse (Care.com Doesnt Care) for real opinions from working parents and nannys as well. 2 American families have already come home to dead babies left with a Care.com sitter. Dont be next.

Ummm....I have used Care.com for several years and have used several nannies over the years. I have NEVER had this happen.

It is important to realize that the website is only a tool to help you find someone you would want to interview. It is not like a dating site where they match you up with someone. They do show some "matches" based on similar criteria, but again, that is a tool not a promise.

There were several that I interviewed and turned down for various reasons. That had nothing to do with Care.com not doing their job. It is still my responsibility to ensure that I check each prospective nanny's references and resume. After my initial screening and interview, they must then be interviewed by my children to see if they will be a good fit. No use me picking someone that does not get along well with my children's personalities.

If you are expecting to just go on there and pick the first one you see then you are not using the site properly. This would be the same for any of these type of sites (sittercity, CL, etc.)

Old 05-18-2015, 03:01 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,495,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
Yes, I've used the site a few times and had more bad then good experiences. We did find one college age sitter who we used on a weekly basis for about an hour or so for a few months. No complaints.

Then there were the doozies. One who agree to sit on a weekly basis then a week before decided she couldn't be tied down to an on-going commitment and was very shady about it. Not answering calls, saying she didn't receive my texts. I went right on the site and wrote a negative review which showed up on her profile. Another we fired before she started. A total flake who did't remember that the job was going to begin the next day. Left us in a huge lurch, we got stuck using my mother (who I did not want to use) for daily sitting. She then had a heart attack and I had to resign from the full time job I had just accepted after only a few weeks bc we had no backup care. Worked out for the best though, since the job was pretty bad and I wasn't really ready to be away from my oldest DD. I've been home ever since too

A few nutjobs who when I canceled interviews bc I told them we found someone already, started sending me harressing emails on the site telling me that they didn't want the job anyway and my paying rate was too low

And the BEST story of them yet, we interviewed someone who looked very, very familiar. But I couldn't place how I knew her. She came in with an extensivie resume "CLAIMING" she was a nanny for 2 young boys for 10 years. After she left, I looked at her references and there is the name of my old NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR. She was her sister, and that's why she looked familar. I moved from there as a teen and hadn't seen her face to face since I was a kid. So obivously, she didnt recognize me either. This woman was NEVER a nanny. I was actually tempted to call her and tell her who I was, but instead I called care.com and reported her....

So while you can find someone good, I hope you realize that faking references and ENTIRE reusmes, is quite easy I found...
Yeah I have had some lousy ones too. That's why you have to really check them out. Mostly trouble with housekeepers not showing up when they were supposed to. I felt like I had to go through 3 or more to get one to stick.

I had a nut job applicant once. I hired her with out a face to face, I was desperate. My other housekeeper was ill and we were having a party the next day. She was really psyched to do the job and we talked a long time on the phone. The next day she didn't show! I texted several times and finally got a text that said it was from her sister and that she had died on her way to my house in a car wreck. I didn't believe her so I posted it in a review and some one else quickly posted another review saying the same excuse was given when she didn't show for her job months before. She didn't review because she believed it. So either she had terrible luck with dying over and over on her way to work, or she was somewhat insane. Her profile disappeared not too long after that.

I just don't get why people take a job and not show. On the other hand, I had bad luck with placement agencies, companies, etc.

Good help is hard for find ;-)

Old 05-18-2015, 04:24 PM

746 posts, read 625,226 times
I am TERRIFIED of hiring a babysitter that isn't related to me- the only babysitters we've had for our small children are my MIL, my parents and my sister. I have looked on Care.com several times and have been tempted to hire someone for when DH and I have date nights and the like but I just start thinking about my children being hurt or abused somehow. I would do extensive background checks at my own expense and wouldn't rely on the information that Care.com or any other site provides. I have family and friends in the legal field so I would ask them to run some things for me. Honestly, I'm the type who would get put in jail for beating the s%^t out of anyone who hurt my child, I'm that protective.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,067 times
Default Yes you have to pay

I am an (anonymous)caregiver and YES I have to pay. If I do not pay, I get zero leads on my profile as if I hadn't ever even made a listing.
Oh sure, when I log on there are my pictures, resume, all my references, my numbers, my email, job history. Everything except a map to my house and if there was a place for that, I'd upload that too.
BUT if the family looking for me doesn't pay(which is based on their meager view of what little info there is for them to guess I might be worth buying the chance to a person to person interview), then they cannot even discover my listing. Next, they have to pay to meet me or exchange info. Pretty steep fees for some of the top agencies, too.
Its terribly greedy if you know the true costs passed around and FYI-all the agencies are the same.

I have listed on them all or have from time to time and they are nearly ALL despicable and without state or government regulation, it is hard to discover this unless you have been inside to see what goes on.

Of course if you simply pay up, Mr and Ms prospect family, you get connected with who you want to. (sometimes that's four digits of hard earned money before nanny starts day one and nanny sees zero of that.) And don't think they don't monitor every single message or email exchanged. There is software aimed at catching things like (abc123 at yehaw dot see oh m) and such. but try to slip in a hidden link or number or address and they ban you. Permanently. Then so long decent nanny hunt. you are stuck with craigslist and Russian mail-order (which doesn't work, by the way). But backgrounds are cheap. for less than 20 bucks you can see all 50 states worth of looksee which is more than enough to be sure the nanny doesn't have a record of something unpleasant (try verified volunteer).

Its all part of american business. Nothing new. But all terribly painful for the decent, kindhearted, national treasure caregivers who are given the rarest of gifts of unending patience and tireless love for every single beautiful baby born in the world. Especially since many of the ads out there are posted by not families but other agencies looking to poach nannies by leading them on with false hope of some miracle family just down the road. Not to mention how very quite costly for the tired and frustrated and perhaps nearing hopelessness and bedraggled family. Ugh.

The next time you are at an interview at a some random coffee shop with a star and spending bucks wink wink, why don't you consider sharing your site message details, times sent and received, and costs, and see for yourself. Sadly, I have experienced someone in just such a position who opened their own agency with the good nature'd thoughts to be "above" it all but after seeing what some of these families are willing to pay for their ignorance, she fell prey to the same greed that weakens us all. Easy money.
Good luck on your search. And by the way parents, Real Nannys are worth Real Money. If you want Mary Poppins but are only willing to pay for a nanny cam that looks like a college kid, that's exactly what you get.

PS there are other ways around the system for you rubes and for a few dollars, Ill show you how. Just send your money to Walla Walla, Washington .....

Old 10-01-2015, 10:42 PM

2,955 posts, read 3,191,892 times
I was going to use it when I had a pet sitting business, but read LOTS of bad reviews on-line, so stayed away.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:56 PM

598 posts, read 475,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Care.com is an on-line agency that recently opened up in my area. They say that they check references, etc of potential babysitters, nannys, tutors, and special needs caregivers. Parents can then post ads or select from their list of providers. Have you used this service either as a parent or as a caregiver? How did you like it? Would you recommend it? Do you know if they charge caregivers to get on their list? Thank you very much.

I'm a recently retired special education teacher who would like to find occasional jobs doing special needs child care but wanted to get a little more information about this agency before I sign up with them. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me? I once advertised in a local directory for parents (it listed camps, day care centers, private schools, etc), it cost $50 and I didn't even get one response. Ideas?

What kind of neighborhood and city do you live in? The reason I ask is because my subdivision has it's own facebook page. We use it for everything - mostly recommendations related to the home like a sitter. The city I live is a suburb of about 30K people and it too has a facebook page that is active as well that also serves the same purpose. Both of our FB sites are very active. I know a lot aren't but you might want to try that route.

Is there a neighboring suburb or home subdivision near you that have similar FB pages that you can join? I know that most suburbs allow nearby suburbs to join their FB pages.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,067 times
Default Oh and If you didn't know...

The background process is a joke from the agency websites. They check next to nothing. Its just a scam and the nannys individually have to pay or at least are strongly encouraged to buy them for the extra bells and whistles a family might notice and think oh boy that's the one for me and think they are getting something really fabulous when all they are really getting is just that. A green check next to a name on a website.

If you find someone who offers references-for goodness sake CALL THEM! If those references don't answer then talk to the nanny. I'm sure she'll get you something-a letter, a voice mail, an appointment for a callback. Something! Remember, this is not a corporation. Its just a lone woman (or man) with no honest representation or legal defense and their references are their lifeblood.
Without good references, they are over so take just a moment and perhaps consider how much she really deserves your hellish revenge condemnation web blog anyway since perhaps you just might have gotten exactly what you paid for?

But what about the horrible families? They don't want to pay on time. They lie and feign ignorance-my schedule got changed-oops!, there was traffic-again, my cell phone was off-darn, I had a surprise meeting-just like last week and the week before that and the week before that etc. Worse than high schoolers with the dog ate my homework And just like high schoolers They actually expect the nanny to eat it up like shes an idiot moron or they throw a tantrum fit. How dare she consider another family and sneak away quietly or just outright leaving them high and dry while they are busy planning the vacation! One good turn deserves another, my good friends. Why, just watch them blow up like frantic maniacs sure as heck the moment a nanny starts discussing fair overtime compensation or respect for the agreed upon schedule or how about you take a moment a show your own little animal tyrants some doggone discipline for a change!? C'mon people! Many of you set the bar for your nanny right out the chute with the amazingly pathetic pay scale but since the agency gets your hunk of money first, you are left to bitterly take it out on your help. Who do you think gets the short end of the stick come referral time after all that? Well I can only urge you all to either pay for the care like a grown up or take your medicine with a spoonful of sugar and sleep in the bed you made when she bolts the first available chance to the neighbor offering a dollar more.

A name, a drivers license number, a DOB and 5 dollars gets any potential nannys arrest record and you can do it from your smartphone. During the interview while you wait on your coffee to be made even! its the DPS website, people. My nanny brought hers to the interview pre-printed. Perhaps you could encourage your next one to do the same? You are probably buying the coffee for the both of you anyway, right? Seems like a pretty fair trade.

And just to be clear, The difference between a casual immature unreliable baby sitter and a professional dependable nanny is the trades they offer. Nannys are ALL full time. That's a career. Part time nannys don't exist. That's a sitter. Unreliable, inconsistant, and cheap.

Nannys replace a mother by doing all that a mother does and often more. Usually because they are or were one. The agencies are only selling you bragging rights at the water cooler so you can pretend to be spoiled filthy rich and not just somebody desperate to dump your kids off because parenting is inconvenient and spoils your party time. Would you expect to buy your own mother for 12 an hour? Maybe that's all shes worth? Not mine.
Certainly not yours either, I bet.
The cost of a mother for your children is priceless. Gotta get your expectations in check with reality. Unless you think you live in some kind of medieval indentured servant age which, in that case, you wouldn't be reading this blog because it wouldn't be or you are just plain crazy.

Everybody wants to go to work and ditch the kids so you can have that big TV you cant watch because you're at work. That's crazy, so maybe you're not quite there, you're just close.
OR Perhaps somebody should actually just stay home and raise their own kids instead of rat racing for money and neglecting the parent responsibilities left behind you in the first place. Its your child that gets the short end of the stick anyway. If you absolutely need a nanny, they are out there but not for pennies. Special needs families who simply cant deal with the struggle all by themselves are a good case. Some divorced couples who cant make it work without some help are others. Of course the hard working wealthy families who simple have the means to afford a real nanny are also a good potential home for an appreciated nanny. If this is you, don't give up hope because there are plenty of honest and decent people trying like hell to earn a living like everybody else by bringing love and care to a family who just doesn't have all they need when it comes to all that a nanny does. But those of you whining about your baby sitter issues because went to a big glamorous website hungry for your money simply because you will give it without doing your homework or you did but only bought the babysitter price tag when you seriously expected someone to fly in on an umbrella and sing songs while flying about the house, you are right where you deserve to be, still looking for a real nanny. I hope you find one. Then you will appreciate the difference.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:40 AM

595 posts, read 452,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
I used it to find home health aides for my elderly parents.

I think we paid $50 for 3 months in order to use some of the advanced features.

In general, it was a good site - but my town is small and the # of people looking for that type of work was fairly small.

I'd use it again, but also Craig's List, which I've used several times to post jobs.
How was the home care and how many times a day/week?

Old 10-03-2015, 08:50 AM

595 posts, read 452,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
I am TERRIFIED of hiring a babysitter that isn't related to me- the only babysitters we've had for our small children are my MIL, my parents and my sister. I have looked on Care.com several times and have been tempted to hire someone for when DH and I have date nights and the like but I just start thinking about my children being hurt or abused somehow. I would do extensive background checks at my own expense and wouldn't rely on the information that Care.com or any other site provides. I have family and friends in the legal field so I would ask them to run some things for me. Honestly, I'm the type who would get put in jail for beating the s%^t out of anyone who hurt my child, I'm that protective.
i feel the same way. I trust no one, too many things can happen when you are not there. Maybe investing in a nanny cam would be good, but i don't like the thought of spying on someone, it's very intrusive. I will say that being this way and having a lot of fears about strangers watching my child has impacted my social life, no dates, no going out, until i can find a close friend to watch her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or