U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 12:39 PM

11,617 posts, read 19,764,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I dig the song, I like the sound, but I don't think this is what 13-14 year olds should be listening to and influenced by. Its nothing new and that doesn't make it right.
But it isn't the reason kids are "messed up" today (if you buy into the idea that they are). Things like this have been around for ages, kids have been exposed to this stuff for ages (opera was pop culture in the 19th century). It does influence kids, but it's not something new that just started recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 12:44 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,411,852 times
Quote:
I only looked up the one Rhapsody in the Rain. And while it may be pushing it for its time, it was about something not illegal by any means. And the majority of these songs are more so subliminally about the topic you mentioned. So to this, I raise you.
Trust me. "Pushing it" would be a MILD description of the effect that song had. It's all relative to the times. When that song came out every parent (and preacher) in the country was horrified. All of the songs I listed caused some type of hysteria when it was released and people were convinced the country was going to hades because that song was on the radio.

My point in all of this is..... if you properly guide and parent your child they will be fine. My siblings and I listened to songs that made our parents go but, thankfully, they didn't censor us. Because they knew the music they listened to made their parents go . We turned out just fine. No one is sitting in jail because they played bass and sang the dirty lyrics to Louie Louie.

But if you don't want your children listening to those songs.... fine. That is (will be?) your right as a parent.

BTW: It wasn't just the lyrics to RITR that had "the adults" upset. It was the rhythm of the song itself. I can still remember the outrage that, "You can have sex to the beat of the song!" First time I heard that from some guy yelling about it on TV I thought, "Well don't you have a dirty mind?" Still makes me laugh.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:46 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,232,087 times
Quote:
You're right in a way its not that different, people are pushing boundries through culture, film, music (and it helps get you noticed), but my issue is that a lot of people are saying this and making it sound like its alright, its no big deal, and its acceptable to preach to kids about drugs, sex, violence over and over.

Parents tell kids to stay away from drugs, sex, violence, so why think its alright for someone who influences kids style and lifestyle to repeatedly say it and think its okay because you grew up with Elvis and things are fine.
I see it as people saying it is no more influential now than it ever was. Yes, you can argue it's more explicit now, but so is everything about modern life. Gone are the days of "Sir, I bite my thumb at thee," for better or for worse.

If you want to argue that what is considered normative now is more risque relative to what was normative at other times in history, I could see being able to make that argument (I don't have a hard and fast opinion on that at present). I don't believe that the relative influence of "subversive art" has changed, though.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:50 PM

6,621 posts, read 11,207,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
So, what led to the demise of the way kids relate to their families? The disrespect I've seen from teens & adult kids to their parents is astounding.
The way that the teens are so self absorbed, spoiled--demanding cell phones, I pods, laptops, "Uggs" & other name brand crap, could be a part of the problem.
And if the parents think the kids will grow up & magically turn into loving, kind people-wrong
Just yesterday I overheard my neighbor yelling, swearing & screaming at his mom to move his stuff, & help him to her car. He's 36 years old
Children are a reflection of how they are raised. Also, what may be considered disrespectful to you, may not be disrespectful to other parents.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:05 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,063,554 times
Quote:
I only looked up the one Rhapsody in the Rain. And while it may be pushing it for its time, it was about something not illegal by any means. And the majority of these songs are more so subliminally about the topic you mentioned. So to this, I raise you.

Ghostface Killah - three bricks
Today's agenda, got the suitcase up in the Sentra
Go to room 112, tell 'em Blanco sent ya
Feel the strangest, if no money exchanges
I got these kids in Ranges, to leave them n***az brainless
All they tote is stainless, you just remain as
calm as possible, make the deal go through
If not, here's 12 shots, we know how you do
Please make yo' killings clean, slugs up in between
they eyes, like "True Lies," kill 'em and flee the scene
Just bring back the coke or the cream.

This is the tame part of the song too. I dig the song, I like the sound, but I don't think this is what 13-14 year olds should be listening to and influenced by. Its nothing new and that doesn't make it right.
I went to high school with my husband. When we were freshmen, he gave me a mix tape. Suicidal Tendencies on one side and 2 Live Crew on the other. We were 14 and listened to that kind of music all the time. Twenty-five years later and we are educated, straight-laced suburbanites with a minivan.

Edited to add:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Gone are the days of "Sir, I bite my thumb at thee," for better or for worse.
I so love that you know what that means. Sorry I couldn't rep you.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:07 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,817,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Twenty-five years later and we are educated, straight-laced suburbanites with a minivan.
Well that's just wrong!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:10 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,063,554 times
^ I know. The minivan is my deepest regret.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:16 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,411,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Do you mean this one?

Redirect Notice
That's the one. It was considered subversive. It was also in a heck of a lot of bedrooms and dorm rooms. (And yet we didn't all name our kids Moon Unit. How on earth did that happen?)

Old 01-17-2012, 01:19 PM

17,665 posts, read 21,846,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
What are the consequences of not being kind, responsible adults?
Having no friends, depression, isolation, financial ruination, despair, criminal activity, inability to form lasting relationships with others, lack of creativity,substance abuse, possibly incarceration.

I love my children way too much to want any of this for them.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:27 PM

24,479 posts, read 28,815,809 times
I don't know who some of you posters hang out with that you get the idea that kids are so bad now. Admittedly my kids are younger, so I don't have a huge pool of teens on which to base my opinion; but I honestly don't know any who are "so messed up." the ones I know are active in our church youth group. They go on mission trips, spend time doing fundraisers throughout the year, they play sports, they babysit... All the teens I know seem too busy to get into much trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or