Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 03:19 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,466,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I think you would like to read the book "The Death of the Grown Up". I covers the entitlement part and how parents feed into it. Take care.
Thanks. That does look like an interesting read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 03:37 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
They are that way because that is the way they were raised.
Period.

Out with the spankings. In with the fake self-esteem and sucking up to your little princes and princesses. And then you wonder why they act like despots and tyrants.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Period.

Out with the spankings. In with the fake self-esteem and sucking up to your little princes and princesses. And then you wonder why they act like despots and tyrants.
That about sums it up. They are this way because that's what their parents raised them to be. Just connect the dots.

I really do fear for the future of the United States. I don't expect that these kids will do any better a job with their own kids. It looks like we're in a downward spiral. Like many of the great civilizations of the past, we are going to be our own undoing. We have forgotten where we came from.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,622,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That about sums it up. They are this way because that's what their parents raised them to be. Just connect the dots.

I really do fear for the future of the United States. I don't expect that these kids will do any better a job with their own kids. It looks like we're in a downward spiral. Like many of the great civilizations of the past, we are going to be our own undoing. We have forgotten where we came from.
When you look at the generations from a very high level, you can see that social change is cyclical. NJGoat posted a great thread on this topic:

Strauss and Howe Generational Theory

What goes around, comes around ... and around and around. Today's kids are Millennials, who are in the "Unraveling" phase, marked by "non-committal lack of attachment, free agency and media perceived directionlessness," and the New Silent Generation, who are the "Crisis" phase. The younger kids are the ones who will grow up to fix the mess that they were born into.

Strauss and Howe have charted the four phase of the social cycle, and the more I read about it, the more interesting it is. This cycle has gone on for more than 500 years. Today's kids are not so special that they are going to break the momentum of 500 years. Society has endured worse in the past.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:07 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,015,110 times
Because their parents are dopes.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:50 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,157,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Period.

So as a point of reference, for those of us who debated discipline in another thread, THIS is the mind set I am refering to when I say people equate discipline with punishment.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
When you look at the generations from a very high level, you can see that social change is cyclical. NJGoat posted a great thread on this topic:

Strauss and Howe Generational Theory

What goes around, comes around ... and around and around. Today's kids are Millennials, who are in the "Unraveling" phase, marked by "non-committal lack of attachment, free agency and media perceived directionlessness," and the New Silent Generation, who are the "Crisis" phase. The younger kids are the ones who will grow up to fix the mess that they were born into.

Strauss and Howe have charted the four phase of the social cycle, and the more I read about it, the more interesting it is. This cycle has gone on for more than 500 years. Today's kids are not so special that they are going to break the momentum of 500 years. Society has endured worse in the past.
I don't think they're going to break a 500 year cycle, I think they're going ot destroy our economy and I don't think we'll ever recover from that. We NEED strong businesses here NOW but our youth are so full of entitlement, I don't think they can build it or hang on to it if the generation before them does. We have a gaping hole in the barge that is our economy and the next generation lacks the skills to either repair it or even hold the repair if it is put in place for them.

That 500 year cycle may be why so many civilizations have been their own undoing in the past. It's our turn to go down the crapper.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
So as a point of reference, for those of us who debated discipline in another thread, THIS is the mind set I am refering to when I say people equate discipline with punishment.
For some kids, it has to be. By the time my ss was 13, he'd look at you and say "What the hell you gonna do if I don't?" I have a dd who I wish I'd punished. What worked on one did not work on the other.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,582,793 times
Quote:

So, as I said earlier, the problem is actually you and people like you, right? You either raised the kids that are destroying civilization, or you raised the kids who are raising the kids that are destroying civilization, either way, it's your fault.

Quote:
I don't think they're going to break a 500 year cycle, I think they're going ot destroy our economy and I don't think we'll ever recover from that. We NEED strong businesses here NOW but our youth are so full of entitlement, I don't think they can build it or hang on to it if the generation before them does. We have a gaping hole in the barge that is our economy and the next generation lacks the skills to either repair it or even hold the repair if it is put in place for them.

That 500 year cycle may be why so many civilizations have been their own undoing in the past. It's our turn to go down the crapper.
The point is that everything is cyclical, crises are resolved and the identity is recreated before it starts all over again. The idea that "these kids" will/are destroying our country is ridiculous, it's the parents who destroyed it, it's up to these kids to fix it. If you look at it historically the sentiment you have is the same one that people had at the beginning of the last crisis, the Great Depression. The decades before the Depression, the "Roaring 20's" were very similar to the attitudes and morals of the past couple decades that we just moved from.

I would really encourage you to give it a read. I don't buy it wholesale, but it's a very interesting way to put things into persepective.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:21 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,622,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The point is that everything is cyclical, crises are resolved and the identity is recreated before it starts all over again. The idea that "these kids" will/are destroying our country is ridiculous, it's the parents who destroyed it, it's up to these kids to fix it. If you look at it historically the sentiment you have is the same one that people had at the beginning of the last crisis, the Great Depression. The decades before the Depression, the "Roaring 20's" were very similar to the attitudes and morals of the past couple decades that we just moved from.

I would really encourage you to give it a read. I don't buy it wholesale, but it's a very interesting way to put things into perspective.
I agree. It's fascinating from the standpoint that none of us was born in a vacuum: each generation is a product of the one before it. The indulgence of the Baby Boomers is a product of post-war prosperity and a reaction to the attitudes of the previous generation, who lived through the Depression. Children now are growing up in a financial crisis just like the Depression kids did. They will be okay. Of course, if Strauss and Howe are correct, this generation will grow up, solve the mess, and their kids will be talking about how uptight they are. Free love, man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting