U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:59 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,496,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
To me the parents are the ones who say where the lines of respect will be. Many parents want to be their kids friends, others want to be like their kids. Have you seen some moms out there dressed just like their teenage daughters?
A good book I read is entitled "The Death of the Grown Up". To me it is ot the kids fault. It is mostly the parents that allow them to do those things for different reasons which I will not mention them because some will twist what I may write and take offense. Take care.
lol! The other day one of my 3 year old twins said to me, "I'm not gonna be your friend anymore" (the worst insult they can think of at this age) and I said, "No, I'm not your friend. I'm your parent. And if you talk to me in that disrespectful tone one more time, you'll be punished!"

At age 3, kids are going to test boundaries. Some parents might think saying things like that is funny or cute. But I'd rather correct disrespectful language at age 3 and stop the behavior now than deal with a 13 year old screaming and cussing at me. That's why my kids are corrected for any sort of behavior like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 05:50 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,755,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
lol! The other day one of my 3 year old twins said to me, "I'm not gonna be your friend anymore" (the worst insult they can think of at this age) and I said, "No, I'm not your friend. I'm your parent. And if you talk to me in that disrespectful tone one more time, you'll be punished!"

At age 3, kids are going to test boundaries. Some parents might think saying things like that is funny or cute. But I'd rather correct disrespectful language at age 3 and stop the behavior now than deal with a 13 year old screaming and cussing at me. That's why my kids are corrected for any sort of behavior like that.
Good for you! You set the limits and make it clear you are the parent. It is amazing how old fashion methods of discipline still work but not accepted on children. Take care.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:51 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,326,465 times
Kids seem to be the same to me in all categories except for sexually...

And I think that is direct result of technology. And I don't mean kids are having more sex. They are just more sexually aware. I know Kids have been having sex since the beginning of mankind. But kids just seem to know a lot more about the details earlier than before. It was just harder to find out things before.

Sexual behavior is easier to see and learn for kids these days. Devices such as phones, laptops, ipods, ipads, and tv's can access the hard to control internet. so kids see the specific detailed behaviors much sooner now. So they seem to learn more graphic details at an earlier age than before.

We only had magazines when I was young... and those were hard to come by.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:15 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
It was just harder to find out things before.
Unless you lived on a farm.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:57 PM

1,078 posts, read 938,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

My mom always told us she was not here to be liked or make us happy

My wife's cousin has a teenage daughter who walks all over her. She complains about it and gets mad when people don't pity her and suggest ways to correct her behavior. The funny thing is she's, from what I hear, a control freak at work

Old 02-08-2012, 08:01 AM

8,035 posts, read 7,056,459 times
Its because we've all been programmed by the Matrix. Govt. corporations, media, one big machine to enslave you and make you their tool. or their battery, or whatever you prefer.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 AM

10,589 posts, read 10,317,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers.
Socrates
Greek philosopher in Athens (469 BC - 399 BC)
Not much has changed. My youngest son sometimes does not take my good advice or heed my wise judgement - He wants the full adventure of a life - He does not want the easy and more success bound approach - He wants to make mistakes - he wants to have friends that are not his friends - and he WANTS...to have his OWN life - mistakes and all...I guess that is called freedom.

Being a parent is a bit like being a god..You create your offspring - and you love them so much that you allow them to be free - in the end this is better - My son loves me dearly even though he does not always agree with me... as for him - there is an eastern saying - "I do not love him because he is good, I love him because he is my little child"..no strings attatched.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,973,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Its because we've all been programmed by the Matrix. Govt. corporations, media, one big machine to enslave you and make you their tool. or their battery, or whatever you prefer.

Dramatic Chipmunk - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or