Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 04:44 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Yep I agree, this society has people coddling their "kids" at adult ages.
That's funny, because that's not what I said at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 04:48 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,177,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
That's funny, because that's not what I said at all.
Whatever. That was how I read it. Feel free to elaborate if you must...or not. Doesn't really matter

Old 01-17-2012, 04:52 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Whatever. That was how I read it. Feel free to elaborate if you must...or not. Doesn't really matter
Well here's the thing... you're so convinced you're right that you don't really want to have a conversation about it, you just want people to agree with you.

Whatever.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Well here's the thing... you're so convinced you're right that you don't really want to have a conversation about it, you just want people to agree with you.

Whatever.
Not quite; I'm just not an argumentative type. Not my thing. So once the topic goes in that direction I don't go there. No drama.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:03 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
What about the rest of them? After all if all kids are "messed up" and it is all because parents have abdicated their authority over their kids where are the rest of these messed up kids?

I don't see many kids like this in my life. I know a few but not many. Most teens I come into contact with (my kids are teens) are nice kids with goals, hope and dreams. I don't buy into the "kids today are messed up" line of thinking.

BTW-why wouldn't I want to go on family trips? We have traveled with our kids all over the US, and Canada as well as South America, Europe and the Caribbean. That doesn't mean we haven't taken a few trips without the kids.

I don't think that we are arguing, I think that we are agreeing!

NOTHING is WRONG with family trips! This kid didn't want to go on the few that were offered and he ruined the one that was.

I am all for enrichment and enriching activities - with THE FAMILY and through out high school!

Also, all for parents taking trips alone!

Unfortunately, there are many parents who do abdicate their parental duties, especially in the teen years.

Most teens are fine! Most I know personally. But there are teens who are not fine.

I don't want to make this political at all but Sarah Palin's daughter is not fine. The Kardashian's, the pregnant teen moms on an MTV Show.

These things are NORMAL today.
Not to me, but to some. I am not bashing the underclass, BTW.

If we follow a time honored order of events that goes like this,

1. High School
2. College (for us and my family a 4 year college at least, for others trade school or the local Community College)
3. Marraige
4. Children if desired.

If everyone in America said that these were "non - negotiables", we would be in a better place!

Old 01-17-2012, 05:06 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
This post makes me realize how out of touch some are; just because YOU don't see or know kids that are out of control doesn't mean everything's peachy. I know many good, kind, respectful, successful kids that were raised right; I also know some fu#ked up kids that were from the start a handful that the parents never disciplined.
Why is it out of touch to have a different belief than you have?

Quote:
And just because you think you know what your kids are up to doesn't mean you actually do. I know many parents personally that are totally unaware of what their own kids are posting on Facebook, etc. Drinking, partying, raunchy activities....unless you're monitoring them 24/7 you've got no idea
I never purported to know every single thing my children do. You must have me confused with someone else.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Why is it out of touch to have a different belief than you have?

I never purported to know every single thing my children do. You must have me confused with someone else.
The first comment above was in response to you saying you don't see or notice the messed up kids. And my response was to that. Anyone who refuses to acknowledge something because they don't see it comes across as out of touch.

The second comment wasn't directly meant for you- it's pertaining to parents who are not paying attention to what kids are really up to these days.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:16 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Look @ the garbage kids are subjected to now.. DARK/EVIL VIDEO GAMES,they play that trash day in and out....... Its no surprise the youth of today are so dumbed down

Just like they want them!! (TPTB) -- Non fighters,etc.......

Old 01-17-2012, 05:17 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Why don't you just pick up the paper? Read about the way society is going downhill. Chicago last summer- an 18 year old kid in the middle of the night stabs his mother & father to death, in an upscale suburb. As his friends told him he stabbed her enough, she stirred & he tells them he can't leave until she's dead. Stabs her some more. She's dead. Beats his father first in the head with a baseball bat, then stabs him until he's sure his dad is dead, too.
This is not the only story like that; educate yourself.
The kid was crazy but that does not mean ALL kids are crazy. Take a look at this list of young killers. NOTE THE DATES.

Top 10 Young Killers

Old 01-17-2012, 05:18 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
You're children are lucky to have you as a mother.

However, what you described above is a very common thing to see amongst adults?

Not sure if this is a question, but I will answer it as such. I do see many adult people who never learned at home that the world does not revolve around them and have one or several of those issues.

Look at the incidence of divorce and the acceptance of out of wedlock births!

Not talking morals here, but social SCIENCE - outcome for out of wedlock births - BAD.

Don't believe me? Check out the Prison System in your state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting