Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 10:32 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Actually what I marvel at is the fact that there are still so many well balanced good, selfless young adults out there. How did that happen?
I think that happened because there are parents who teach their kids that being nonjudgmental of differences is different from moral relativism where everything is a good choice; that it doesn't matter what your gender is, you can go as far as your drive, hard work, and talents can take you; that everyone has areas where they do well and areas of weakness - no one is good at everything; that media isn't "real life;" that behaviors have consequences; that life isn't always fair but that's not an excuse to give up; that faith is a personal matter and doesn't have a 1:1 correlation with being a moral or ethical person. I think there are more of these parents out there than people on this thread seem to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Exactly. Look at the story of Madame Butterfly. A US Naval officer marries a 15 year-old girl, who eventually kills herself.

Everyone is missing the point in the story. Of course they were talking about sex and drinkng, etc, but its a romanticized book or play or song vs. one completely degrading and illegal (I don't know the story of Madame Butterfly and should have looked it up before I said this, maybe its also illegal if he married the girl in teh states)

But fine you win, treating daughters as hoes, having mistresses, shooting **** day in day out is all good. Doesn't really affect me in the end.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:37 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Everyone is missing the point in the story. Of course they were talking about sex and drinkng, etc, but its a romanticized book or play or song vs. one completely degrading and illegal.

But fine you win, treating daughters as hoes, having mistresses, shooting **** day in day out is all good. Doesn't really affect me in the end.
I think the point that is being made is that relative to the culture of the time, the art referenced was risqué. I don't think anyone's saying things in your second paragraph are good, just that it's not so different (relative to the norm) from what came before.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:38 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I think that happened because there are parents who teach their kids that being nonjudgmental of differences is different from moral relativism where everything is a good choice; that it doesn't matter what your gender is, you can go as far as your drive, hard work, and talents can take you; that everyone has areas where they do well and areas of weakness - no one is good at everything; that media isn't "real life;" that behaviors have consequences; that life isn't always fair but that's not an excuse to give up; that faith is a personal matter and doesn't have a 1:1 correlation with being a moral or ethical person. I think there are more of these parents out there than people on this thread seem to think.
Excellent post.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:40 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
LOL ... brave words spoken by every person before having kids. Check in when she's 14 and let us know how it's going.

I would make a terrible parent i think, as i am awful taking care of kids.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:49 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,594 times
Quote:
I think the point that is being made is that relative to the culture of the time, the art referenced was risqué. I don't think anyone's saying things in your second paragraph are good, just that it's not so different (relative to the norm) from what came before.

You're right in a way its not that different, people are pushing boundries through culture, film, music (and it helps get you noticed), but my issue is that a lot of people are saying this and making it sound like its alright, its no big deal, and its acceptable to preach to kids about drugs, sex, violence over and over.

Parents tell kids to stay away from drugs, sex, violence, so why think its alright for someone who influences kids style and lifestyle to repeatedly say it and think its okay because you grew up with Elvis and things are fine.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:53 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
I don't doubt it, but can you give me some main stream artists that sing about these topics?
At the risk of sounding like I'm 70 and explaining the 60's..... Here's a few off the top of my head:

White Rabbit: Jefferson Airplane - Drugs. The last lines are "Feed your head! Feed your Head!" They aren't talking about having sprouts for lunch.

Run For Your Life: The Beatles - Violence against women.

Eve of Destruction: Barry McGuire - Anti war protest. Anti military draft. This one really ticked off The Establishment.

Rhapsody in the Rain: Lou Christie - Sex and lots of it. In the car. Banned by many radio stations at the urging of the Catholic church.

House of the Rising Sun: The Animals - Song about a bordello and prostitution

A Day in the Life: The Beatles - Suicide

Along Comes Mary: The Association - Pot (and impotence -wink -)

Please, Please Me - The Beatles - Sex. Man urging woman to... you know.

These songs were on all day, every day. Each of them were massive hits. Believe it or not, those of us listening to them did not turn into raging hippie pot heads who never washed and didn't hold down a job. Some of us actually listened to those songs constantly and still went to school, work, voted and paid our taxes.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 01-17-2012 at 11:11 AM..

Old 01-17-2012, 10:54 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
The Canterbury Tales is the most famous work of Geoffrey Chaucer, who is often known as the father of English literature. It was written in the 14th century, more than half a millennium ago! It is full of sex, deceit, mistresses, scatological humor, swearing, and violence. Read the Miller's Tale and what happened to Absalom when he begged Alison for a kiss in the dark.

The funny thing is that we read the Miller's Tale and the Wife of Bath's Tale in high school. THAT must be what corrupted all of us: a story from more than 500 years ago.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:54 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Everyone is missing the point in the story. Of course they were talking about sex and drinkng, etc, but its a romanticized book or play or song vs. one completely degrading and illegal (I don't know the story of Madame Butterfly and should have looked it up before I said this, maybe its also illegal if he married the girl in teh states)

Quote:
Agree with eastwest's response. It's not about finding what they are saying or doing acceptable, it's about viewing it within the context of what it is, art and expression. Shakespeare was an incredibly risque guy in his day, now it's required reading in school. The underlying themes and messages haven't changed, merely the medium and the language.

Do you honestly listen to music at a superficial level to only hear the words, or do you strive to understand the deeper meaning?

I'm only 31, so I grew up on Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Linkin Park, etc. and still listen to them. What I will say is that the imagery and message conveyed by most of these artists is very similar to the things that Shakespeare was writing about or contains very relevant political and cultural messages.

If you can't see the parallels between the Montagues and Capulets having a gang war in the streets while Romeo and Juliet are driven to suicide over their forbidden love with some of the lyrics in modern songs, you're not listening very well.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:58 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
It's not NEW is what we said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting