U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2012, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,185 posts, read 43,469,993 times
Reputation: 18598

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think it is wasted energy to be angry with someone because of their own beliefs. You cannot will another person to have the same religious beliefs that you have.
I know, right? What's the use in being mad about something like that, when you can't change what a person believes inside? Same goes for being upset that a child is gay, when you really can't change that either - just accept it, continue loving your child as always, and move forward from there!

I was raised in a Reform Jewish (more cultural than religious) household, and neither of my parents told us what we should or shouldn't believe... we're all grown now, and my brother's a staunch Atheist while my sister & I are basically "secular-but-practicing" Jews like our parents. No big whoop, and it only ever comes up when I tease my brother for accepting Chanukah gifts despite his beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2012, 10:53 AM
 
1,759 posts, read 1,697,180 times
Reputation: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think it is wasted energy to be angry with someone because of their own beliefs. You cannot will another person to have the same religious beliefs that you have.
We agree on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 12:09 PM
 
11,230 posts, read 9,233,571 times
Reputation: 14654
I guess I would be bummed if the adoption of religion came with a rejection of reason which I think is necessary to become a fundamentalist anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 12:25 PM
 
14,777 posts, read 34,516,591 times
Reputation: 14278
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I guess I would be bummed if the adoption of religion came with a rejection of reason which I think is necessary to become a fundamentalist anything.
I think pretty much anyone who wasn't a fundamentalist would end up troubled and concerned if their child became one. While I said I would be accepting of any choice my kids made, there are ones that I would consider downright scary and they are all more fundamentalist beliefs. I don't deny anyone their right to believe what they want and live their life the way they want, but I would be bothered if my kids embraced any fundamentalist movement and swallowed the dogma wholesale. Honestly, one of the scariest things for me would be if my kids became fundamentalist evangelical Christians, even though we are Christian, I find that extremity of belief scary.

I think you touched on the concept I was talking about earlier in terms of reason and faith (though you used the word religion). I think my ultimate goal is that my children would approach faith and religion through a lens of reason. If anything the more reason I have applied to the questioning of my faith, the more it has reinforced my faith. I don't buy into general religious dogma, but there is a lot one can learn about themselves and their place in the universe through religion...just don't lose your reason...and don't let your reason overcome your faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM
 
11,230 posts, read 9,233,571 times
Reputation: 14654
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Honestly, one of the scariest things for me would be if my kids became fundamentalist evangelical Christians, even though we are Christian, I find that extremity of belief scary.
Me too. Add tea party republican to that, and I will have nightmares.

Quote:
I think you touched on the concept I was talking about earlier in terms of reason and faith (though you used the word religion). I think my ultimate goal is that my children would approach faith and religion through a lens of reason.
Yes. Me too. For ME reason and faith are mutually exclusive. My reason has lead me to the denial of faith. But I would not have a problem with their reason leading them elsewhere. I can imagine some fun Thanksgiving conversations over that!

Quote:
If anything the more reason I have applied to the questioning of my faith, the more it has reinforced my faith. I don't buy into general religious dogma, but there is a lot one can learn about themselves and their place in the universe through religion...just don't lose your reason...and don't let your reason overcome your faith.
There you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 01:18 PM
 
4,043 posts, read 2,891,146 times
Reputation: 1948
I would only be upset if whatever they joined changed them from being the very fine, upstanding, sweet-spirited young ladies of true integrity that they both are, into a lieing, cheating, or only but terribly hateful souls.

I didn't raise cookie-cutter copies of myself. I raised them to trust themselves, to think independently and critically, and of course to have the traits such as integrity because it was right to be that way. (not because I wanted them to be like me)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 09:17 AM
 
12,430 posts, read 14,565,228 times
Reputation: 14142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
I would only be upset if whatever they joined changed them from being the very fine, upstanding, sweet-spirited young ladies of true integrity that they both are, into a lieing, cheating, or only but terribly hateful souls.

I didn't raise cookie-cutter copies of myself. I raised them to trust themselves, to think independently and critically, and of course to have the traits such as integrity because it was right to be that way. (not because I wanted them to be like me)
good post Sunnysee...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 09:24 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
10,863 posts, read 18,902,231 times
Reputation: 25113
I am pagan but have been raising my kids without any religion at all. When they are old enough to choose, if there's a religion that appeals to them, that will be fine. If they choose to live without religion, that's fine as well.

You don't need to be religious to be a good person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, Calif.
2,435 posts, read 2,721,196 times
Reputation: 2579
First, my child, assuming you mean a minor, still living under my roof and rule, would not be, determined mature enough to make such a life-altering decision on his/her own. However, if you mean an adult no longer living in my home, then fine. Thats their choice and decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 09:54 AM
 
19,848 posts, read 10,559,203 times
Reputation: 11160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
How upset would you be with them? And i mean a 180 sort of situation, not they switch churches sort of deal. They become pagan, or Islamic, or Hindu
My daughter switched before she got married. We are catholic but she did way more than 180 degrees! I mean I could live with Scientology or Muslim but my daughter switched to.....brace yourself....

LUTHERAN!

Now she's bringing hotdishes to pot lucks and playing Euchre on Friday nights....the horror
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top