U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:52 PM

37 posts, read 192,387 times

Advertisements

BTW. Tween LOVES NY and is BORED in small town. Mention that because some may think the child may not want to move. Still don't let that sway your poll opinion.
Honestly now. Which would you choose For raising tween who will be 18 in a few years ? BTW tween LOVES NY and is bored in PA.

BTW. I am an artist and thrive on the arts, and all the culture, cafe's museums etc NY has to offer. Just want to make sure doing right thing for my child.

here's the deal.
Affordable Nice Ny apartment in section which is prime. 10 Minutes to manhattan. train one block away. Great schools. 4 blocks from FAMOUS Prospect Park which has carousel, huge sand boxes;about 10 swings in a row. then ten more yeards away. super uber slides. cotton candy, hot dog vendore, balloons, cheese steak trucks. falafal and MORE! yes! in the park!! horse back riding. ducks. row boats and peddle boats.Some feel Better Prospect park is better than Central Park. I love both.

Apt walking distance to upscale cafes, museums, skating rink in park, libraries, zoo, botanical gardens and more! everything at your finger tips. bank, food market, post office and more. And all the culture, fun, and anything imaginable in New York city !!! yet small apt. which i don't mind. trade off is culture, great education and fun for kid.

or suburban life. only 3 attractions for children. really nothing stimulating for a child. yet. it IS suburbia life.great schools. huge apt. honestly. NOTHING stimulating for a child. small parks (only a few which only have a swingset with 4 swings, and slide). yet you can travel 1 and half hours to larger city. mountain viws. lots of woods and rivers. didn't list as much because honestly that really IS all.

which would YOU choose. honestly
Additional Details

FORGOT! apt has POOL.

NY APT 4 blocks from band shell in park which has FREE concerts to performers such a Nora Jones, famous jazz, r&b, classical, country artists and MORE. 10 minute ride to ONE of many beaches.
great beaches

Last edited by Rainbow Connection; 01-17-2012 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: forgot detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 04:56 PM

9,056 posts, read 6,726,826 times
Um, I think you already know the answer.

But I'd pick the Brooklyn apt. No comparison. But your kid sounds a lot like me, so that's probably why.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:14 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,382,457 times
If you're moving with a tween, PLEASE get more than 1 bdrm, get a two bedroom, I would have rather pulled my own intestines out and skipped rope with them than shared a room with ANYONE at that age.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:26 PM

970 posts, read 1,744,721 times
It sounds like you already have your mind made up. Ultimately you have to do what is functional for you, and brings happiness.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:06 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,989,441 times
You have already made up your mind. If you are listing positive attributes for Brooklyn to include "balloons" and "ducks" while describing the suburbs as a boring wasteland, then you already hate it.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:11 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,382,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You have already made up your mind. If you are listing positive attributes for Brooklyn to include "balloons" and "ducks" while describing the suburbs as a boring wasteland, then you already hate it.
And who could turn down balloons and ducks....
I wonder if you attached a duck to a helium filled LARGE balloon if it would float....

Old 01-17-2012, 09:18 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,320,727 times
This is familiar...

Which would U choose? Small 1 Br Apt in Park Slope Brooklyn NY, or Apt in suburbs of PA 1,100 sq ft Apt ?

Old 01-18-2012, 06:17 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,816,113 times
Quote:
And what exactly are the "suburbs" or Pennsylvania? What job will you be giving up by moving and what job will you get in NYC? Life is what you make of it. My siblings and I grew up in Brooklyn and my nephews thrived in Pennsylvania. If you can afford to move (into a 2 bedroom) then go for it. If not don't put yourselves at risk. And I would definitely go before high school started so as not to uproot him/her at that time.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,731,620 times
Quote:
Exactly... the choice has already been made....

Old 01-18-2012, 11:31 AM

3,778 posts, read 7,169,582 times
Is this a custody dispute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting