U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:32 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,224,926 times

Advertisements

A parent would probably answer differently...

Anyway, whenever I see a kid being naughty/mischievous in real life or on TV or whatever (not just plain annoying or obnoxious, but a cheeky sort of mischief) like playing a practical joke on their sibling or parents, or a stranger, I usually have a good chuckle over it. My sister, in contrast, always goes on an angry rant about how horrible kids can be. The rest of my family seem to lack a sense of humour/take things really seriously.

Maybe an odd question, but what do you think about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 08:40 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,241,052 times
I usually find it amusing. I find people that already hate kids jump on those incidents to justify hating them even more. There are times when kids can be outright obnoxious and I do find myself wishing their parents would just help make them aware of the discomfort they're causing, but it doesn't make me hate the kid. Most of the time kids are just being less emotionally repressed than most adults, and some adults have a problem with that. More often than not, I think it has to do with the fact that the adult in question would like to feel that empowered, so they project their feelings onto the kid by trying to knock them down a few pegs.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:42 AM

16,416 posts, read 25,241,837 times
Depends on the place and situation, if it is in public/outside, well yeah I think it is funny. I don't mind kids to a point, but let's make the situation different and say it is on an airplane and they will just not shut up.. well then we have a problem.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I usually find it amusing. I find people that already hate kids jump on those incidents to justify hating them even more. There are times when kids can be outright obnoxious and I do find myself wishing their parents would just help make them aware of the discomfort they're causing, but it doesn't make me hate the kid. Most of the time kids are just being less emotionally repressed than most adults, and some adults have a problem with that. More often than not, I think it has to do with the fact that the adult in question would like to feel that empowered, so they project their feelings onto the kid by trying to knock them down a few pegs.
I hate it when adults apply adult standards to the behaviour of children. I don't believe in baby-talking kids, but you told try to reason with a 7 year old like you would an adult. I've heard parents do that and well...I'm not a parent myself so I won't say more.

Yeah I don't hate kids - they can be really annoying - but I understand they can't help it. We were all children once, and I think adults who still retain more of their inner child can better relate to the world of childhood. It can be refreshing to relate with them, childlike and free, even with the cheekiness and practical joking.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I hate it when adults apply adult standards to the behaviour of children. I don't believe in baby-talking kids, but you told try to reason with a 7 year old like you would an adult. I've heard parents do that and well...I'm not a parent myself so I won't say more.

Yeah I don't hate kids - they can be really annoying - but I understand they can't help it. We were all children once, and I think adults who still retain more of their inner child can better relate to the world of childhood. It can be refreshing to relate with them, childlike and free, even with the cheekiness and practical joking.
I'm confused on what you mean by the bolded part.

Definitely agree with being able to relate to children, childlike and free.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I'm confused on what you mean by the bolded part.

Definitely agree with being able to relate to children, childlike and free.
Sorry I meant you 'can't try to reason with a 7 year old like an adult.'

Sheesh blame spending like 8 hours today on city data. I've been on a bit of a posting binge for the past 4 days, posting an average 8-10 hours a day (sad to say I'm serious ). I need to stop cold turkey lol. That's what unemployment will do to you. I look myself in the mirror and say, 'who ARE you?'

Old 01-18-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Sorry I meant you 'can't try to reason with a 7 year old like an adult.'

Sheesh blame spending like 8 hours today on city data. I've been on a bit of a posting binge for the past 4 days, posting an average 8-10 hours a day (sad to say I'm serious ). I need to stop cold turkey lol. That's what unemployment will do to you. I look myself in the mirror and say, 'who ARE you?'
No problem.

I didn't mean reasoning but just something like "Johnny you're being really loud can you tone it down a little." Something along those lines. Definitely no reason to hate the kid as a whole, though.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,443,863 times
We are big on joking around here, in a good way. I DON'T like when kids are snotty though. It's hard to comment without specific examples though.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:10 AM

39,413 posts, read 14,456,552 times
Quote:
A parent would probably answer differently...

Anyway, whenever I see a kid being naughty/mischievous in real life or on TV or whatever (not just plain annoying or obnoxious, but a cheeky sort of mischief) like playing a practical joke on their sibling or parents, or a stranger, I usually have a good chuckle over it. My sister, in contrast, always goes on an angry rant about how horrible kids can be. The rest of my family seem to lack a sense of humour/take things really seriously.

Maybe an odd question, but what do you think about it?
I'm fine with kids acting silly or playing practical jokes, as long as no one gets hurt.

What I don't find funny is when children are mean and hit people and the parents watch it and don't tell them it is wrong. When I see clips on America's Funniest Videos that show kids hitting or kicking others, especially their parents, and everyone laughs, I don't think it's funny at all. In essence, the children are being rewarded for bad behavior.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:35 AM

899 posts, read 1,306,700 times
It really depends on the situation - but yes I've laughed at kids when they are misbehaving.

This situation is a good one for the "not funny" category:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
What I don't find funny is when children are mean and hit people and the parents watch it and don't tell them it is wrong. When I see clips on America's Funniest Videos that show kids hitting or kicking others, especially their parents, and everyone laughs, I don't think it's funny at all. In essence, the children are being rewarded for bad behavior.
But I also find it very off-putting for kids to disrespect adults, in general.

An example of a situation I would find funny - the old "I'm not touching you" scenario between two kids.

I don't know what's going to happen when I have kids, because I can imagine it now - I'm trying to discipline them and stifle a laugh at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or