U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 08:19 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,168,230 times

Advertisements

We always have bottled water in the guest room. We also have filterd water in decanters in the bathrooms. My son was allowed to have water over night. I would rather someone have it in their room, than have them wandering all the way to the kitchen, making noise, and waking us up. It doesn't attract bugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 08:32 PM

6,009 posts, read 4,954,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Allowing children, especially young children, to have drinks in the middle of the night can also sabotage sleeping through the night without wetting the bed. Children should drink their water before going to bed. There is no reason why kids need food or drinks in their bed at night. All that encourages is giving them a reason to wake up and possibly not fall back to sleep, on top possibility of spilling everywhere. No thank you.
Naturally, if they're so young (or untrained) that they are still wetting the bed or they can't keep from spilling it, you wouldn't give them water at night. But beyond that, I don't see the problem. I remember having a glass of water next to my bed when I was a kid. It was a delight to just roll over, have a sip, and doze off again. Every time I had to go to the KITCHEN for it, I ended up trying to find a snack as well, and sometimes turning on the TV...

Old 01-22-2012, 08:43 PM

11,616 posts, read 19,756,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
No its not.
There is nothing wrong with a bottle of gatorade or something to drink.
An open bottle of Gatorade will be an ant pile in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
No one wants to stumble down to the kitchen half-awake just to grab a sip and head back up and wake themselves up more.

Its nice to roll over and a cold glass of something if you wake up thirsty.
Too bad. My house rules do not allow food or drinks in the bedrooms. Now that my kids are older they can bring water in their rooms. But no food and no drinks other than water.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:50 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,904,867 times
My 9yr old daughter gets very thirsty during the night, so we have just recently started letting her bring a small cup of iced water into her room at night to keep on her night stand.
Other than that, no food or drink in the bedrooms and they are very good about that...

Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,048,984 times
I am not hunting for dirty glasses and dishes, and I am not wasting money and filling landfills with plastic bottles. Good thing they don't get thirsty.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:43 AM

495 posts, read 588,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Allowing children, especially young children, to have drinks in the middle of the night can also sabotage sleeping through the night without wetting the bed. Children should drink their water before going to bed. There is no reason why kids need food or drinks in their bed at night. All that encourages is giving them a reason to wake up and possibly not fall back to sleep, on top possibility of spilling everywhere. No thank you.
This depends on your climate and what types of water bottles you use. When we lived in Nevada my kids always had water with them to take to bed. First, in bottles, then sippy cups, so there were no spills. And they never wet the bed either, once they were out of diapers.

It would be unfair in that dry climate to expect someone to go all night without hydration. Today, at age 11 they are great water drinkers and prefer it over juice, and have never liked or wanted sugary drinks, so I think it set a good precedent.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 AM

27,421 posts, read 15,113,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Mine are older than most who have answered. Beginning in middle school, I stopped fighting that battle. If I wanted the beds made, I made them. If they were ok with the condition of their bathrooms, I was too. They each have their own bedroom and bathroom, and I was starting to feel like a maid. So, I just started closing the doors.

I won't do laundry that hasn't made it's way to the laundry room. I fold or hang everything out of the dryer. if it doesn't end up in a closet or dresser, they know how an iron works.

I consider them on the messy side. Interestingly enough, both of the college kids complain to me how messy their apartment mates are. One of the boys was annoyed that he had to spend 3 hours cleaning up his kitchen after his roommates left for the Christmas break.

They know what a clean house looks like, and how it gets that way. So, my efforts have not been in vain, even though my house may not always reflect my personal standards.
I'm right here with Mattie. Every so often I make my son go through his closet and drawers and throw out stuff.

His clothes are on a big pile on the floor until I make him hang them up or put them in a hamper. I don't iron for him or wash clothes that have not been brought downstairs.

I close the door to his room. He's a slob!

Old 01-23-2012, 04:37 PM

24,762 posts, read 59,756,648 times
Bah.

They can learn to make their beds in summer camp.

They will evnetually make their beds and clean up on their own. It is embarrassing to have friends come over. It is embarrassing to have mom or dad clean your room.

As to food. I like to tell them a little story about how mice drink (from your mouth or eyes when you are sleeping) food in your room, means mice in your room. Ick.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:34 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,398,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

Too bad. My house rules do not allow food or drinks in the bedrooms. Now that my kids are older they can bring water in their rooms. But no food and no drinks other than water.
I'm with you. We lived in an area where most people had citrus and fruit trees in their yards. The fallen fruit on the ground attracted rats and bugs and ants. A bottle of Gatorade in the bedroom? Don't even think about it. The ants and bugs attracted by the fruit would discover that overnight and then it's months spent trying to keep them from coming back inside.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:04 PM

5,961 posts, read 6,399,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Naturally, if they're so young (or untrained) that they are still wetting the bed or they can't keep from spilling it, you wouldn't give them water at night. But beyond that, I don't see the problem. I remember having a glass of water next to my bed when I was a kid. It was a delight to just roll over, have a sip, and doze off again. Every time I had to go to the KITCHEN for it, I ended up trying to find a snack as well, and sometimes turning on the TV...
Everytime I would have to go downstairs for a drink it meant tripping over the dog or a dog toy and making noise, then trying not to fall down the stairs in the dark, then getting a drink and then making the journey back up the stairs this time trying to not spill the drink. Then by this time I have woken up to the point its hard to get back to sleep. Fast foward to the next getting to listen to my mom "god dammit, you were making noise again, blah blah blah blah ***** ***** ***** nag nag nag".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
If only they would invent some sort of device that closed the top of it so that way it would prevent spills and you could drink at your leisure and not worry about it spilling or getting bugs in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I am not hunting for dirty glasses and dishes, and I am not wasting money and filling landfills with plastic bottles. Good thing they don't get thirsty.
A reuseable waterbottle which you make them responsible for bringing down every morning and rinsing out. Make it their night time waterbottle that is solely used for that purpose.

You ALL claim that your kids are so wonderful and responsible in comparison to me yet they aren't responsible enough to bring a water bottle down every morning and you would have to hunt down water glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKim8 View Post
This depends on your climate and what types of water bottles you use. When we lived in Nevada my kids always had water with them to take to bed. First, in bottles, then sippy cups, so there were no spills. And they never wet the bed either, once they were out of diapers.

It would be unfair in that dry climate to expect someone to go all night without hydration. Today, at age 11 they are great water drinkers and prefer it over juice, and have never liked or wanted sugary drinks, so I think it set a good precedent.
It also depends on the person as well. Some people cannot be content without a glass of water at night.
I am allowed to have whatever I want over night, I have a stock of powerade I drink and a mini fridge in my room.
If I wake up thirsty, I HAVE to get something to drink, or I CANNOT fall back asleep.
My kids will ALWAYS have the option to have a drink over night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm with you. We lived in an area where most people had citrus and fruit trees in their yards. The fallen fruit on the ground attracted rats and bugs and ants. A bottle of Gatorade in the bedroom? Don't even think about it. The ants and bugs attracted by the fruit would discover that overnight and then it's months spent trying to keep them from coming back inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting